PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Tactical/Assault Vest, modern

Sgt Leprechaun
02-24-11, 09:02 PM
All:

I am looking for a 'combat used', by a Marine, tactical/assault vest. This is for an official Marine Corps display. It will be seen by THOUSANDS of people and used for display purposes only. This is not for some 'personal collection' or anything else. You will be given full and proper credit in ALL presentations, with full combat history.

If you have one of these (something used within the last five years, or that has some unusual historical tidbit with it) drop me a line.

I do NOT expect this to be donated, however that can also be arranged with a 'tax letter' if you like. Cash or trade goods work as well.

Am also looking for any sort of 'modern' field gear, also within the past five years, for same display.

v/r
Leprechaun

GunRun
02-24-11, 10:22 PM
When you say Field Gear, what does that include?

Sgt Leprechaun
02-24-11, 10:32 PM
The stuff that hangs off the current tac vest basically. Looking to put together a mannequin, want it to look as 'real' as possible.

GunRun
02-24-11, 10:40 PM
I got an extra frag pouch and a double mag pouch I was going to get rid off, if you want them.

I also was going to throw away my sets of FROG(Fire resistant Organizational gear) cammies that I wore in Afghanistan. Don't know if you want that also.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-24-11, 10:42 PM
GunRun...that sounds exactly what I'm looking for...

PM inbound

Covey_Rider
02-25-11, 12:29 PM
I still have my plate carrier from my recent deployment to Afghanistan. You can still smell the sweat so it can be as realistic as you want haha. If trades are possible I'm looking for a concealable vest with pockets for plates. I'm currently OCONUS on contract right now, but I'll be online off and on.

dback13
02-26-11, 10:15 AM
It really depends, we have used 3 different vests since 2003.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-28-11, 06:00 PM
Thanks all. CR, I appreciate it! Drop me a line when you can.

DB, the one we currently have dates to 2003/04 time period.

wildwoman73
02-28-11, 07:15 PM
Sgt Lep...wish I could help. I'd sure donate. But all I have is the outfit I bought in 2002 to get divorced in.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-28-11, 07:50 PM
LOL....thanks !

advanced
03-01-11, 07:57 AM
I'm not for sure but Billy might donate his pink tufu.

LandsNGrooves
03-01-11, 07:01 PM
Get a MTV, and mention what a POS it is and how much marines hate it.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-01-11, 07:03 PM
Believe it or not, when we do these things, it's 'warts and all'. Good/bad/ugly.

Covey_Rider
03-01-11, 10:30 PM
Get a MTV, and mention what a POS it is and how much marines hate it.
I agree that the vest is a POS, however the problem is being fixed with the implementation of the plate carrier to ground troops. I was issued both for Afghanistan and my MTV stayed at the bottom of a sea bag. I hated the vest and wore it in Iraq, however the Marine Corps IS fixing the issue.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-01-11, 10:34 PM
And THIS is why 'material history' is so important. The study and presentation of it TELLS the story of YOU Marines (and those of the past) who have to wear this stuff, and actually use it day to day.

Marines have dealt with 'gear issues' since...well, 1775! And trust me, from the research I've done and seen, there have always been problems. Always!

LandsNGrooves
03-04-11, 04:41 AM
I agree that the vest is a POS, however the problem is being fixed with the implementation of the plate carrier to ground troops. I was issued both for Afghanistan and my MTV stayed at the bottom of a sea bag. I hated the vest and wore it in Iraq, however the Marine Corps IS fixing the issue.

I realize but "FIXED" it's not. The USMC hasnt "Phased out" the MTV, its using the SPC to augment the MTV. The SPC is for "extreme heat and mountainous " blah blah . I'm happy as f uck we have it, but issues like training in garrison with the Interceptor and MTV like a lot of units do, then getting the PC in country or in CTEP right before they leave is derp. Why is it acceptable to train this way?

The SPC is a hit on lejuene yards sales,and for good reason. The only other Eagle PC they sell to civis new is the CIRAS @ like 500$. I was trying to get a SPC for personal use, and one guy selling one told me his command "dosent like them" and wont let guys run them. This isnt localized. A lot of "non combat" ground guys have to leave the SPC at home because SSgt Motard D. Powerpoint see's the PC as something lighter,faster and easier to use, soo it must be a evil,discipline eating monster.

More importantly then the hardware side, is the software side. The MTV is big,hot,heavy, and cumbersome. It has a lot of Level III,a lot around the neck too. The PC is that, only enough to carry plates. Which one would you want, something making it harder to shoot,move etc, but takes fire really well???Are you defensive or offensive, predator or prey?

VENT Over hahah;)

sorry it just ****es me off the MTV even exsists in this world.
KILL IT W FIRE

Covey_Rider
03-04-11, 12:28 PM
I realize but "FIXED" it's not. The USMC hasnt "Phased out" the MTV, its using the SPC to augment the MTV. The SPC is for "extreme heat and mountainous " blah blah . I'm happy as f uck we have it, but issues like training in garrison with the Interceptor and MTV like a lot of units do, then getting the PC in country or in CTEP right before they leave is derp. Why is it acceptable to train this way?

The SPC is a hit on lejuene yards sales,and for good reason. The only other Eagle PC they sell to civis new is the CIRAS @ like 500$. I was trying to get a SPC for personal use, and one guy selling one told me his command "dosent like them" and wont let guys run them. This isnt localized. A lot of "non combat" ground guys have to leave the SPC at home because SSgt Motard D. Powerpoint see's the PC as something lighter,faster and easier to use, soo it must be a evil,discipline eating monster.

More importantly then the hardware side, is the software side. The MTV is big,hot,heavy, and cumbersome. It has a lot of Level III,a lot around the neck too. The PC is that, only enough to carry plates. Which one would you want, something making it harder to shoot,move etc, but takes fire really well???Are you defensive or offensive, predator or prey?

VENT Over hahah;)

sorry it just ****es me off the MTV even exsists in this world.
KILL IT W FIRE

I completely understand your frustration. How the MTV ever got into the Marine Corps issue is beyond me. I still think that it's being phased out though. However since the Corps decided to spend the money on the MTV, they're still going to issue it. The PC is being issued to all combat elements including elements that are in direct support of the infantry. If you have one but however it's collecting dust because a Plt Sgt won't allow them, then that's a serious issue that needs to be raised through your proper chain of command. You train how you fight, bottom line. Just make sure that you are tactful in the matter and you should do well. However if you're some admin guy or something that won't leave the FOB, let's face it, you're not really going to wear the thing anyway so I wouldn't even worry about the vest.

Now in regards to protection...the PC offers the same amount of protection against enemy gunfire as the MTV. You have front, back, and side plates that are rate to stop 7.62. About the only good that Level III armor will do is protect you from small pieces of shrapnel. Due to the fact that IED's are a major threat in almost all AO's, it would make sense that logistical personnel continue to wear the MTV. They don't get out of the vehicle and move to contact so there's no need for the PC. They are better off being protected by the MTV.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-16-11, 10:56 PM
I want to personally take the time to thank Covey Rider for DONATING his last worn Tactical Assault vest.

I am now looking for the 'right stuff' to outfit said vest. The better used, the better it will be for this project. In other words, doesn't have to be 'perfect', just serviceable.

Again, Thanks!