PDA

View Full Version : Corpsman continues legacy

thedrifter
10-10-03, 06:26 AM
Corpsman continues legacy

Lance Cpl. Sharon E. Fox
Combat Correspondent

Being a female in the Marine Corps may seem intimidating to many, but being the only female corpsman in a Marine unit seems almost terrifying.

Accepting this demanding challenge, 4th Marine Expeditionary Brigade (Anti-Terrorism), Seaman Melissa A. Schneider has succeeded and continues to carry on the long-standing legacy of Navy medical personnel supporting Fleet Marine Force units.

“Schneider has been a valuable asset to the MEB aid station since her arrival October 2002. She has quickly adapted to operational medicine procedures and though her knowledge of the Fleet Marine Force was very limited at the time of her arrival, she progressed significantly,” said Senior Chief Petty Officer Sean A. Christopher, senior enlisted advisor and operations chief, 4th MEB (AT) medical aid station.

“She is professional, courteous, mature and very intelligent. Her patient relations skills are pleasant and her military bearing is impeccable. Her desire to excel in all aspects of her job is very commendable and a trait rarely seen in junior Corpsmen.”

Schneider’s enthusiasm, maturity and responsibility help her shine through as a great Corpsman.

“I knew I wanted to be a Corpsman because I enjoy the medical field and wanted to expand on the skills I learned in school and as a certified EMT,” said Schneider. “It was pretty exciting when I found out I was getting assigned to the 4th MEB (AT). I knew there would be very few females in the unit, but I did my best to adapt and excel at my job. The male Marines and Sailors seem to have accepted me unequivocally.”

Regardless of rank, most Marines agreed that Schneider is always courteous and treats her patients with great skill and care.
“She is always professional and prompt with the Marines,” said Warrant Officer Matthais D. Zammit, ammunitions officer, 4th MEB (AT). “She is always the first to offer assistance when patients visit the aide station.”

Schneider acts as the assistant preventative medicine petty officer of 4th MEB (AT), which requires her to make sure all the Marines get their annual shots, hearing tests, physical examinations, and basically makes sure every Marine is deployment-ready. She is also the pharmacy petty officer, oversees health records and makes sure the females have any specific needs taken care of.

“Doc Schneider seems very dedicated and motivated,” said Lance Cpl. Tanya S. Santana. “She truly cares about her patients and treats each one as an individual, and always makes sure all of us are taken care of.”

Santana has great respect for Schneider and appreciates her overwhelming kindness and compassion for her Marines and the time and commitment she gives to her job.

“The Marines really appreciate the fact that she is honest, caring and her bedside manner skills are very pleasant and usually accompanied with blunt honesty,” said Christopher.

“I feel very confident that [HN] Schneider can perform independently with minimal supervision. Her maturity is clearly noticed due to the fact that she is a little older than the average Corpsman of her rank and she has attended college prior to joining the Navy,” added Christopher. “In fact she maybe about six classes shy of her bachelor’s degree in Nursing.”
After high school, the Westlake, Ohio, native attended college at the University of Cincinnati, worked as a restaurant manager and as an Emergency Medical Technician.

“I feel she will do very well in the Navy and will have great success in whatever she chooses to do in life,” added Christopher.
Schneider plans to serve in the U.S. Navy’s Nurse Corps after completing her degree and hopes to get stationed overseas.

“As a single parent, joining the Navy gives me the stability I need to support my son and to complete my college degree, but it is also a tremendous honor to be serving my country alongside Marines,” Schneider added. “I am proud to be a Corpsman and will continue to put forth the maximum effort to successfully carry out my duties.”

http://militarynews.com/globe/Web%20Art/legacy.jpg

Lance Cpl. Sharon E. Fox

http://militarynews.com/globe/mainside.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: