PDA

View Full Version : 4 American Hostages Killed

xbsnguy
02-22-11, 10:48 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110223/ap_on_bi_ge/piracy;_ylt=Ap44IwpphSReabLZ9eFoNI0V6w8F;_ylu=X3oD MTJxMWFwdGg1BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwMjIzL3BpcmFjeQRjY2 9kZQNtcF9lY184XzEwBGNwb3MDMwRwb3MDMwRzZWMDeW5fdG9w X3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrAzRhbWVyaWNhbmhvcw--

In my opinion, the pirates should've been killed after they executed the hostages.

It's the only way to deter these pirates. Hostage taking and ransoming is their business. They are surprisingly very successful too. I remember reading that most of the time, they do get the ransom they request, and the hostages are returned safely.

However, if they are going to adopt a policy of killing hostages, then they should be shown the same mercy. Sure death would be a strong deterrent from killing hostages.

Wyoming
02-23-11, 07:03 AM
Killed?

... and just who should do the killing?

Mistybluelady
02-23-11, 08:39 AM
[quote=xbsnguy;740361]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110223/ap_on_bi_ge/piracy;_ylt=Ap44IwpphSReabLZ9eFoNI0V6w8F;_ylu=X3oD MTJxMWFwdGg1BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwMjIzL3BpcmFjeQRjY2 9kZQNtcF9lY184XzEwBGNwb3MDMwRwb3MDMwRzZWMDeW5fdG9w X3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrAzRhbWVyaWNhbmhvcw--

In my opinion, the pirates should've been killed after they executed the hostages.

An easy opinion from someone who has never held a gun to someone and shot them. Killing is not a easy thing, it stays with you forever. Just read some of the forum posts.

mcvet57103
02-23-11, 08:46 AM
Killed?

... and just who should do the killing?Throw the turds overboard with no life preservers out of site of land. I'm sure those who don't drown will become bait for the sharks. They deserve no less. If no-one has the cahones, I'll volunteer. :evilgrin:

xbsnguy
02-23-11, 11:21 AM
Killed?

... and just who should do the killing?

I was very vague in my OP, so I'll clarify.

When I posted this, I meant to start a discussion as to what the Marines on this board think should be America's policy towards pirates, when they execute hostages, not clamoring for their immediate on the spot execution by intervening military personnel.

I am young and have never been in a situation where I had to make a decision to take someone's life or not, so I can see how I probably sounded a little naive, calling for those Pirates to be given the same mercy they gave to those Americans. And I can't even begin to fathom what it must feel like to take a life, and the baggage you carry with you for the rest of your life. That said, I'm not exactly crying over the pirate that got knifed to death by that SEAL they mentioned.

Moving on to to policy discussion..

Hostage taking is a profitable business for these Somalians, and they enjoy the potential for considerable gain with the comfort of knowing they will only be given jail time(and everything that comes with that), if caught at all. Their enterprise is high gain, low risk.

In order to deter further piracy, we must make the risk and cost of hostage taking unacceptable. This means that if they kill hostages, to deter rescue, then they will be detained, tried, and executed. No more killing innocent people and "only" going to prison.

"Killing hostages "has now become part of our rules," said a pirate who identified himself as Muse Abdi."

They have changed their rules. Should we not change ours?

mcvet57103
02-23-11, 11:30 AM
I was very vague in my OP, so I'll clarify.

When I posted this, I meant to start a discussion as to what the Marines on this board think should be America's policy towards pirates, when they execute hostages, not clamoring for their immediate on the spot execution by intervening military personnel.

I am young and have never been in a situation where I had to make a decision to take someone's life or not, so I can see how I probably sounded a little naive, calling for those Pirates to be given the same mercy they gave to those Americans. And I can't even begin to fathom what it must feel like to take a life, and the baggage you carry with you for the rest of your life. That said, I'm not exactly crying over the pirate that got knifed to death by that SEAL they mentioned.

Moving on to to policy discussion..

Hostage taking is a profitable business for these Somalians, and they enjoy the potential for considerable gain with the comfort of knowing they will only be given jail time(and everything that comes with that), if caught at all. Their enterprise is high gain, low risk.

In order to deter further piracy, we must make the risk and cost of hostage taking unacceptable. This means that if they kill hostages, to deter rescue, then they will be detained, tried, and executed. No more killing innocent people and "only" going to prison.

"Killing hostages "has now become part of our rules," said a pirate who identified himself as Muse Abdi."

They have changed their rules. Should we not change ours?Like I said earlier. Whether they kill the hostages or not. Throw the SOBs overboard with no life preservers, sink their boat, and let their God decide if they live or die. No trial, no jury, or three hots and a cot at tax payers expense, just divine justice. Let Allah save their azzes. :evilgrin:

Wyoming
02-23-11, 12:37 PM
Why should WE make the risk and cost unacceptable?

Why WE!!

xbsnguy
02-23-11, 12:46 PM
Why should WE make the risk and cost unacceptable?

Why WE!!

Because not adapting how we operate, when the pirates are, will encourage even more hostile actions against American citizens and perpetuates piracy in the region?

Money is a large concern, but money is being spent right now as Navy ships patrol the Gulf of Aden for pirates.

Adapting our policy to aggressively deter and end piracy sounds more economically sound, than doing nothing.

A Marine Officer gave me the idea of allocating more Navy ships to hunt down the pirates. I like the idea of allocating more Navy vessels to aggressively locate the pirates and confiscating, disabling, or destroying their 'motherships', that allow them to venture far out into sea and shipping lanes. Take away the pirate's ships, and you have no more pirates.

R Landry
02-23-11, 12:54 PM
It's time for some Blackhawk Down payback.

Wyoming
02-23-11, 12:57 PM
Because not adapting how we operate, when the pirates are, will encourage even more hostile actions against American citizens and perpetuates piracy in the region?

Money is a large concern, but money is being spent right now as Navy ships patrol the Gulf of Aden for pirates.

Adapting our policy to aggressively deter and end piracy sounds more economically sound, than doing nothing.

A Marine Officer gave me the idea of allocating more Navy ships to hunt down the pirates. I like the idea of allocating more Navy vessels to aggressively locate the pirates and confiscating, disabling, or destroying their 'motherships', that allow them to venture far out into sea and shipping lanes. Take away the pirate's ships, and you have no more pirates.

WHO PAY'S???

WHY ME!!

Stupid is as stupid does. The dumb asses knew this was not a good place to be, bibles or not.

mcvet57103
02-23-11, 02:16 PM
WHO PAY'S???

WHY ME!!

Stupid is as stupid does. The dumb asses knew this was not a good place to be, bibles or not.Because these turds are costing us and the world billions in rerouting ships to avoid their BS. If hoods were standing at one end of your street and robbing you everytime you drove in or out, would you just hide in your house? Or would you be happy to burn extra fuel driving miles out of your way to avoid them? Not to mention the money you lose just for using your street in their direction. They're not highjacking ships a mile off shore, they're going into international waters to do it. How far do they go before you finally say enough?

Wyoming
02-23-11, 04:07 PM
Then let the world pay their fair share.

The US shouldn't have to pay 100%.

Let the shipping companies hire mercenaries.

Oh yeah, my house is in the USA, not in some ****ing rathole called Somalia. I actually pay for the protection provided by the US on my street.

Look, the gene pool was just drained of 4 more stupid people. Lets not go filling it back up again.

EGTSpec
02-25-11, 12:53 PM
If I'm not mistaken, aren't the words "to the shores of Tripoli" in our song describing the Marines fighting Pirates in that same region of the world?

micarr57
02-25-11, 08:15 PM
let's all go for a walk on the iran iraq border
take a small craft to where the pirates are.....
darwin was right

awbrown1462
02-25-11, 08:58 PM
Then let the world pay their fair share.

The US shouldn't have to pay 100%.

Let the shipping companies hire mercenaries.

Oh yeah, my house is in the USA, not in some ****ing rathole called Somalia. I actually pay for the protection provided by the US on my street.

Look, the gene pool was just drained of 4 more stupid people. Lets not go filling it back up again.

Read the news other countries have done something
On 19 November 2008, the Indian Navy warship INS Tabar sank a suspected pirate mothership. Later, it was claimed to be a Thai trawler being hijacked by pirates. The Indian Navy later defended its actions by stating that they were fired upon first.
<SUP></SUP>
After an attack on the Handytankers Magic, a petroleum tanker, the Dutch frigate De Zeven Provinciën tracked the pirates back to a pirate "mother ship" and captured them

On 15 January 2011, thirteen Somali pirates seized the Samho Jewelry a Maltese-flagged chemical carrier operated by Samho Shipping 650 km southeast of Muscat. The Republic of Korea Navy destroyer Choi Young shadowed the Samho Jewlry for several days. In the early morning of 21 January 2011, 25 ROK Navy SEALs on small boats launched from the Choi Young boarded the Samho Jewelry while the Choi Youngs Westland Super Lynx provided covering fire. Eight pirates were killed and five captured in the operation, the crew of 21 was freed with the Captain suffering a gunshot wound to the stomach.<SUP id=cite_ref-66 class=reference></SUP>

On 28 January 2011, an Indian Coast Guard aircraft while responding to a distress call from the CMA CGM Verdi, located two skiffs attempting a piracy attack near Lakshadweep. Seeing the aircraft, the skiffs immediately aborted their piracy attempt and dashed towards the mother vessel, MV Prantalay 14 - a hijacked Thai trawler, which hurriedly hoisted the two skiffs onboard and moved westward. The Indian Navy deployed the INS Cankarso which located and engaged the mothership 100 nautical miles north of the Minicoy island. 10 pirates where killed while 15 were apprehended and 20 Thai and Myanmarese fishermen being held aboard the ship as hostages were rescued.

Within a week of its previous success, the Indian Navy captured another hijacked Thai trawler, MV Prantalay 11 and captured 28 pirates aboard in an operation undertaken by the INS Tir purusuant to receiving information that a Greek merchant ship had been attacked by pirates on board high-speed boats, although it had managed to avoid capture. When INS Tir ordered the pirate ship to stop and be boarded for inspection, it was fired upon. The INS Tir returned fire in which 3 pirates were injured and caused the pirates to raise a white flag indicating their surrender. The INS Tir subsequently joined by CGS Samar of the Indian Coast Guard. Officials from the Indian Navy reported that a total of 52 men were apprehended, but that 24 are suspected to be Thai fishermen who were hostages of the 28 African pirates

awbrown1462
02-25-11, 08:59 PM
so if they kill or take Americans who should get go them ? Maybe the same ones who did it in 1800's the Navy and Marines

Mistybluelady
02-27-11, 03:47 PM
"In my opinion, the pirates should've been killed after they executed the hostages." xbsn

I need to clarify my statement, I was not agreeing with xbsn... I was trying to quote what he said . I did not agree with his statement at all.

EGTSpec
02-27-11, 04:18 PM
No mercy. They should be treated as pirates were back in the 1800s. Hung, shot, or thrown overboard imediately. No lengthy trial, no money grubbing lawyers, no bleeding heart libtoids crying mercy, no cushy prison cell, just sea justice.