PDA

View Full Version : Polees and Marines Question?? Wondering.......

Terrell93
02-21-11, 06:21 PM
:flag: My Names Terrell, Im 17, Im Joining The Marine Corps "Core" after my graduation. One Day My Teacher asked me What i wanted to do after High School and I said "Join The Marines" Strangely She Looked at me like i was Crazy! lol Now my Descision is Apparent. But i Just Have a Hard Problem letting my family know. I Told my Mom and She's cool with it, My Grandma.she has been acting strange towards me ever since , maybe because my Grandfather seved a Long Long Time ago and i remind her of him, and Her Brother was In Vietnam...But he didint turn out to good when He came Back. But thats Not stopping Me for Wanting To Join,Its my Life. I feel as For the Marines Who Came before Me and Especially the Ones Who Died for The Things That I sometimes take for granted "if They can Give Something, Then I can Give Something Back Too".So Now The Problem is Tellin my Father, and to any Marines/Polees who see this post, Was telling your Family You wanted to Join a Hard Thing to Do? and Did You Peers act Funny Toward You? Also, Im around 5'6 would my height effect any type of MOS i wanted?

I was thinking 0311, A Marine i Know who fought (In Lebanon/Beirut) Ive heard some Good and Bad, So i'll Have an Open Mind, and not exspect any stereotypes i See In Movies etc. Thnks
I Have Nothing But Respect For Marines and Hope to Be One Someday. (i type alot i Just like to Speak my Mind)

Lisa 23
02-21-11, 06:57 PM
Terrell...try doing a search on the site as this topic has been covered many times before.

And what's up with the joining the Marine Corps "Core"? You mind explaining......

3043pog
02-21-11, 07:24 PM
I'm catching a whiff of troll! Doesn't smell too good.

sparkie
02-21-11, 07:26 PM
Give it time,,,,,,,,,Trools smell, but so do children.

Heck, He's only 17,,,,,, Give a shot.

Terrell93
02-21-11, 07:29 PM
HOW TO PRONOUNCE THE CORPS IN MARINE CORPS
IT IS PRONOUNCED "CORE", IT'S SPELLED MARINE CORPS BUT IS PRONOUNCED MARINE CORE

GunRun
02-21-11, 07:41 PM
HOW TO PRONOUNCE THE CORPS IN MARINE CORPS
IT IS PRONOUNCED "CORE", IT'S SPELLED MARINE CORPS BUT IS PRONOUNCED MARINE CORE

Mind=Blown!

Anyways, I doubt it matters really, what they think at first. My parents were well against it at first, but in the end, they would always brag about me to their friends afterward, especially while I was in Afghanistan. Just tell them and give it time to let it sink in.

sparkie
02-21-11, 07:52 PM
I'm sure he was 'crude jokin',,,,, I'll give him that. In '69 my momma cried and my daddy went and signed me up. I was 17. A lotta Marines were dyin in '69 so I don't blame my momma. It will work out.

GunRun
02-21-11, 08:24 PM
My parents didn't know until I came back from MEPS, mainly because I had to call for them to pick me up because my car wouldn't start. They though I went camping...

Terrell93
02-21-11, 08:50 PM
LOL wow

03Mike
02-21-11, 10:02 PM
Terrell -- what's up with the random first letter capitalization? Makes it kind of hard to read your post.

The best way to convince your folks that you are suited to enlist in the Marines is to demonstrate in every part of your life that you are a responsible young adult. You need to give them confidence that you know what you are doing and that you'll succeed. It's hard for parents to believe that if they still have to get on you for doing your homework, keeping your room tidy, and get on you to get your butt out of bed on school mornings or wonder when you're coming home on weekend nights.

Not saying that's you - I know virtually nothing about you - but I know a bunch of 17 and 18 year olds.

So, first, ensure that you have your life squared away. Do what your folks expect you to do without them having to jump on you to do it.

Second, find ways to demonstrate that you are resonsible - do what you say you're going to do - even when no one is watching.

Third, exercise some initiative. Do things before they ask you to - do things to help others out.

The purpose of all this is to show them that you are acting like an adult -- that you are responsible, and that you think through your decisions. You do all of this, and keep it up for an extended period (not just a week or two) and they'll respect the way that you've matured. They may not necessarily agree with your choice to enlist, but they'll respect it.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-23-11, 07:28 PM
Voted 'Most disorganized train of thought' for the week.

And no profile, either.

Closed pending further investigation/extraction.