PDA

View Full Version : PMI motivates Brother through Rifle Range, help shoot black

thedrifter
10-09-03, 09:09 PM
Submitted by: MCRD Parris Island
Story Identification Number: 200310914632
Story by Cpl. Jennifer Brofer

MCRD/ERR PARRIS ISLAND, S.C.(Oct. 10, 2003) -- Since arriving at Parris Island in November 2001, Primary Marksmanship Instructor Sgt. Gregory Barnhart has helped hundreds of recruits master the fundamentals of the M-16A2 service rifle in their attempt to become Marine riflemen.

From Grass Week all the way up to Qualification Day, he helps them understand the principles of breath control, sight alignment/sight picture, and a slow, steady squeeze of the trigger to assure they "hit black" every time.

However, his most recent platoon, Platoon 1088, Bravo Co., 1st RTBn., was especially unique for him because his brother, Recruit Tyler Barnhart, was one of the recruits he helped train throughout those two weeks.

"I knew he was coming for a while, and I was looking forward to it - I even videotaped him getting off the bus," said Barnhart, speaking of his younger brother, who towers over him at 6 feet 7 inches. "I knew what platoon he had, so I told them I wanted that platoon, and they made me their PMI. I think it'd be neat for anybody to say they helped train their brother."

Barnhart's fellow PMI's made jokes about him spending more time helping his brother, but he assured them that this was not the case.

"I wanted to make sure I trained the rest of the platoon too, not just [my brother]," said Barnhart. "People might think that since I'm his PMI, there's favoritism, but I made a point to not let that happen. If he needs help, I'll give him help."

Like many recruits, Tyler had his problems on the range, but said his brother's guidance helped him and his fellow recruits shoot a lot better.

"I had a lot of trouble keeping the rifle steady, but [my brother] really taught the classes very well, and the platoon shot very well," said Tyler.

While having his brother as his PMI did have its perks, it also had its disadvantages, said the 20-year-old Columbus, Ohio native.

"It's really cool and really motivating," he said. "It helps a lot with the homesickness, but there are a few downfalls. It seems like there are higher expectations of me to be better than the other recruits since I already have a brother in the Marines."

As tough as it is sometimes, one of the reasons Tyler joined the Marine Corps, besides following in his brother's footsteps, was because it is the hardest branch of service, he said.

"I didn't want to go into the Army, Navy, or Air Force," he said. "Marines are the best - the most elite fighting force. They get the job done ... first to fight. The other branches wouldn't challenge me."

Tyler's senior drill instructor and brother agreed that he is a "pretty good recruit."

"He's not the best recruit, but he does what he's told," said Barnhart. "His strong point is that he only has to be told once by me and he fixes it. I say, 'Hey, I'm only going to tell you one time to fix it,' and he fixes it."

Throughout their time on the rifle range, the two brothers never let their family ties interfere with their roles as instructor and recruit.

"It's like it is with any other recruit," said Barnhart. "There have been times when I wanted to sit down and talk with him, but I wanted to keep it professional. He's called me 'sir' the whole time."

No matter what problems Tyler may face later on in recruit training, Barnhart said he is confident in his brother's ability to overcome any hurdle that comes his way.

"I'm confident he'll do what's asked of him," said Barnhart. "I only hope that when he leaves here, he'll have a good concept of what it means to be a Marine."

With about four more weeks of recruit training left, both brothers are looking forward to graduation day Nov. 7.

"November 7 is the day he graduates, and that's the same day as our Marine Corps Ball, so the day he graduates, he's going to the ball with me," said Barnhart.

It is not everyday a recruit gets to have a family member take part in his transformation from recruit to Marine.

With his brother's help, Barnhart qualified expert on Chosin Range with a score of 221.

"I'm glad I had the opportunity to have my brother stand over me as I learned to shoot on the rifle range," he said. "Not a lot of recruits have this opportunity - it's almost unreal. It's so motivating to have somebody here like that."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/558FB4D3FA464E0185256DBA006379E5?opendocument

The Drifter
:marine: