PDA

View Full Version : What would YOU do?

LCornell
02-20-11, 05:48 PM
Hello Marines!

I have a serious question about my current situation and I'd just like some extra advice or comments. Back in October of '10 I joined the DEP at my local recruiting office. I am slotted to leave for boot camp on 20110613 under a Reserve contract with my bestfriend (AD contract) using the Buddy System. I made the discovery, about a month or two ago, that being a Reservist may not be suitable for me. My original decision was made based on, partly, what my family wanted from me. So, I have been really been trying to get my contract switched from Reserve to AD, but at the same time I still wanted to KEEP my ship date so I could go through the buddy system with my friend. However, I was told if I switched contracts my ship date would be close to or in August. I guess it may seem stupid that I feel that that is big deal, but it's just one of those things I was really hoping for. My idea right now is to go through boot camp with my current ship date and all that and of course go through my MOS school then get to my unit and request a change to AD. I know it's not guaranteed and I also know it may be a lengthy process, and that's really the only thing that I'm hesitating about. However, I also consider just going to boot camp and all that by myself in August because it would get me out of here and I'd have a job. So, my question is to you Marines... What would you do? (Again sorry if this is a dumb question)

SlingerDun
02-20-11, 05:59 PM
....Marines... What would you do?...Sacrifice the buddy plan if necessary and hold firm on what you want, if that would be AD, he'll still be your buddy

LCornell
02-20-11, 06:01 PM
Thank you very much for your feedback, SlingerDun. All other comments are appreciated and welcome!

03Mike
02-20-11, 07:25 PM
Sacrifice the buddy plan if necessary and hold firm on what you want, if that would be AD, he'll still be your buddy

+1

Komenko
02-20-11, 07:28 PM
Sacrifice the buddy plan if necessary and hold firm on what you want, if that would be AD, he'll still be your buddy

+2

Wyoming
02-20-11, 07:58 PM

+3

GunRun
02-20-11, 08:14 PM

+4

Sgt Leprechaun
02-20-11, 08:47 PM
Concur

LCornell
02-20-11, 10:18 PM
Thank you all for your answers and service to this country. Have a great week.

Tennessee Top
02-20-11, 10:40 PM
Legit question and well put.

Your friend will understand if you ship without him. Sometimes, our best plans change voluntarily or otherwise and sacrafices need to be made in order to reach our ultimate goals. If you get to change to AD you will make a ton of new friends; some that will last your lifetime.

Good luck with your decision.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-20-11, 11:50 PM
One last bit on this....I've know lots of Marines, on here and in the FMF, who shipped with their buddy and all that, and after Recruit Training never saw 'em again. All that contract gives you is the Recruit Training option I believe. So you have to do what is best for you in the long term.

Ceckert85
02-21-11, 01:03 AM
+10

DrZ
02-21-11, 07:39 AM
I must agree with everyone else here. I can tell you that if you report to boot camp not knowing a soul who is on the yellow footprints with you....that in a week of being in a platoon....you will feel like you have known them your entire life. When you are put into the dirt as a unit....yelled at as a unit... screwed up as a unit...you become family.

It is nice to have a buddy to go through boot with.... but you will discover quickly... you are suddenly part of a very large family.

Good luck to you.