PDA

View Full Version : I got Infantry!

achilles097
02-18-11, 10:07 PM
Damn just my luck. I DEP'd in two weeks ago and this kid with contract 03XX couldn't hack it so I got his spot no questions asked. I signed the contract a few days ago and my shipdate is still the same...20110502...One of the recruiters said I was the luckiest kid with all coincidences involved. I feel great considering the wait times I was quoted ...August...September...October! For other poolees just stick it out if your waiting, you may be picking up after somebody else...

ricky54326
02-19-11, 07:14 AM
Congrats! Proud of you man.
I am still waiting for some paperwork for a waiver, and I am hoping for an 02xx (0231) field. Either way, the most important thing, is that I want to be a Marine - whatever they need me to do, I'll do.

DubGee
02-19-11, 09:12 AM
Congrats bro. Just make sure you bust your ass so YOU dont lose that contract lol. Oh and to show your recruiter that you deserve it.

IHaveEGA843
02-19-11, 01:47 PM
Congrats but I dont understand whats the big deal going in to be a 0311 instead of being any other MOS.

Alot of the youngin's *yeah I'm older then the majority of y'all* at my RS want 03 contracts and hope for 0311.

Well, when we both earn the title Marine, I'll support you all the way.

achilles097
02-19-11, 02:28 PM
Soon2be2EGA, while I agree with you, you probably didn't read my post fully. Infantry is one of the tougher jobs to get, especially with only two week DEP'd in. People are waiting long periods for this particular MOS. Honestly, It was just dumb luck on my part, and quitting on another guy's part. The Gunnery Sergeant said at our RSS if we can't hack it, don't go to PT and stuff the job would go to somebody else with the same timeslot and somebody who is willing to work hard. If it was a communications MOS spot filled until August that I wanted the title of the read would read differently. It really has little to do with Infantry itself. I do want the EGA more than anything else, but it goes to show hard work and a little luck still play hands in the deck...

Taviah
02-19-11, 02:37 PM
Being 03 isn't better, it is just a different calling. My best friend is a POG and of graduating class of 16 in my high school I am going to be the 3rd Marine and the first 03.

kjohnson8824
02-19-11, 05:33 PM
Same here, kid found out what infantry was like and dropped out. I only got the contract because I was in the time slot and I kept asking for it Plus I actually PROVED I deserved it, my PFT scores spoke for themselves.

achilles097
02-19-11, 06:27 PM
Same here, kid found out what infantry was like and dropped out. I only got the contract because I was in the time slot and I kept asking for it Plus I actually PROVED I deserved it, my PFT scores spoke for themselves.

Congrats! Do you know how he found out?

Taviah
02-19-11, 06:55 PM
His recruiter probably scared him out of it for a good reason.

kjohnson8824
02-19-11, 07:18 PM
No his recruiter told him the truth about infantry life, which isnt all runnin and gunnin, Its not some glorious job. If your just looking for combat there's plenty of other MOS's that will get you a CAR too. Alot of people say that infantry sucks because it wasnt what they expected, But there are people, like a friend of mine, that did know what they were getting into and really enjoy it. But i guess you'll just have to find out for yourself!

Taviah
02-19-11, 08:01 PM
My cousin is Marine scout sniper but trains at pendleton right now 0311. So I want 0311 so he can train me and hopefully by a miracle get his squad in deployment.

From what I have been told most of Infantry mos is sitting around bored, getting shot at then the enemy runs away before you can kill em, hiking up mountains and glorified garbage men cleaning up parking lots. At least in this type of warfare.

kjohnson8824
02-19-11, 08:26 PM
Yeah well Afghanistan is winding down so you might not even go there. So you might be peacetime infantry, which is doing b*tch work, smelling like ass with breath thats even worse, and doing combat drills.

kjohnson8824
02-19-11, 08:29 PM
Well i guess you smell either way hahaha

achilles097
02-19-11, 08:54 PM
I guess if I cared about the way I lived i.e. living conditions I would have joined the Air Force. No joke, they have it nice, my friend is an Airman and I have seen their living quarters on FB...

Taviah
02-19-11, 08:59 PM
I am indifferent to whether I go to Afghanistan or not. I was born and raised in the desert so I'd be happy as can be if we can find somebody to fight that lives where there's some green, but I'd be happy too if we can manage to not find anybody to fight. That being said I know there is always somebody that must be fought to maintain freedom, and I understand that the philosophy that wins isn't always the right philosophy, but the strongest. I will fight to make the philosophy of the American people the strongest.

kjohnson8824
02-19-11, 09:04 PM
Yeah in basic training they have dorms with AC

Buhler
02-20-11, 12:18 AM
I am indifferent to whether I go to Afghanistan or not. I was born and raised in the desert so I'd be happy as can be if we can find somebody to fight that lives where there's some green, but I'd be happy too if we can manage to not find anybody to fight. That being said I know there is always somebody that must be fought to maintain freedom, and I understand that the philosophy that wins isn't always the right philosophy, but the strongest. I will fight to make the philosophy of the American people the strongest.

lol i'm down for anything but the cold. honestly, i'm so sick of winter, i never want to see snow ever again. kind of makes me look forward to the desert, minus the whole "possibility of death" deal.

sdkmcqueen
04-09-11, 02:05 AM
This thread may be aged but I still think its a good one. I personally would like to go Infantry but there are no slots for it in the near future. I think it sucks that 5 poolees sign Infantry contracts thinking there going to be in live action call of duty and find out what its really like then are **** birds for the rest of their 4 years. I however have no illusions. I know Infantry is 5 percent runnin' and gunnin' and 95 percent police calling parking lots. And I'm ok with that. I feel that I want to do Infantry because thats what a Marine always was to me. By no means am I disrespecting any of the other jobs in the Marine Corps, its just that when I imagined a Marine, I imagined a Grunt. Just my 0.02

DudefromDiego
04-09-11, 01:56 PM
This thread may be aged but I still think its a good one. I personally would like to go Infantry but there are no slots for it in the near future. I think it sucks that 5 poolees sign Infantry contracts thinking there going to be in live action call of duty and find out what its really like then are **** birds for the rest of their 4 years. I however have no illusions. I know Infantry is 5 percent runnin' and gunnin' and 95 percent police calling parking lots. And I'm ok with that. I feel that I want to do Infantry because thats what a Marine always was to me. By no means am I disrespecting any of the other jobs in the Marine Corps, its just that when I imagined a Marine, I imagined a Grunt. Just my 0.02

This.:thumbup: Exactly why I chose Logistics. Being that the Logistics field has two sectors, I may end up a desk jockey, or in the sand pit. Only time will tell.

holey336
04-09-11, 04:49 PM
i didnt know infantry was so hard to get. when i dep'd in back in Dec. i got it right away with no problems at all, in fact i think they were like 9 spots open, it was a 6 year contract but there were spots for 4 year as well

Honcho1010
04-09-11, 04:52 PM
New jobs open up after the end of the fiscal year, which is September. So most people who DEP'ed later have to wait for the jobs to drop again and quickly select one. That's my case. Infantry in the reason I don't ship until October...

PooleeGewarges2
04-09-11, 04:57 PM
I signed a 6 year Infantry contract 2 days ago:flag:

IHaveEGA843
04-09-11, 05:14 PM
Congrats future 03's......I'm POG'n it

Trust me though, I'll support and give you the best product I can offer to the ground pounders so yall can tear it up and send it back for me to work on.

AlexJH
04-09-11, 06:38 PM
Yeah well Afghanistan is winding down so you might not even go there. So you might be peacetime infantry, which is doing b*tch work, smelling like ass with breath thats even worse, and doing combat drills.

lol wouldn't count on it, if not Afghanistan there will be another flare up somewhere like Libya.

congrats brochacho

AlexJH
04-09-11, 06:39 PM

wtf... all of your friends are gonna be like "EAS baby, can't stop time!"

and you'll be all "**** you, i have two more years"

I have a 5 year contract for intel though...

Tbrown10
04-09-11, 06:52 PM
Im gonna be a little let down if i dont go to afghanistan or libya or somewhere ( and no im not a rambo wanna be)

achilles097
04-09-11, 08:32 PM
Im gonna be a little let down if i dont go to afghanistan or libya or somewhere ( and no im not a rambo wanna be)

The Marines I know hate garrison life and live for deployments. Then again he and his wife (both friends of mine since middle school) are stationed on 29 stumps...I'd hate garrison life there too...His deployment was apparently delayed because of the current Libya conflict.

PooleeGewarges
04-09-11, 09:06 PM

Make those years count bro!

PicanteMattyG01
04-11-11, 09:31 AM
How did you get six?

PooleeGewarges2
04-11-11, 02:12 PM
How did you get six?

I was in the recruiters office and he told me that an infantry position was open, but it was a 6yr contract. I waited a week, and I got it.:flag:
I will make those years count, brother!:flag:

achilles097
04-11-11, 03:22 PM
Six years is a long commitment. Good luck.

Tbrown10
04-11-11, 07:33 PM
My buddy is at SOI West as we speak and he told me the other day he had to carry the SAW (M249) up a 2.2 mile mountain...he said it bout killed him haha

PooleeGewarges2
04-11-11, 09:45 PM
Six years is a long commitment. Good luck.

Thanks and never quit:flag:

PicanteMattyG01
04-12-11, 08:55 AM
Lucky, I was able to get a five year contract and I thought that was the greatest thing ever. Do you know your bonus?

holey336
04-12-11, 09:38 AM
my 6 yr contract had a 7500 bonus i beleive, not a lot but better than nothing especially if i wanted to do it anyway, i found out about the bonus after i choose that contract

achilles097
04-12-11, 12:16 PM
my 6 yr contract had a 7500 bonus i beleive, not a lot but better than nothing especially if i wanted to do it anyway, i found out about the bonus after i choose that contract

What's your mos?

holey336
04-12-11, 03:50 PM
03xx, they almost didn't give it to me cause i scored a 96 on the asvab, they actually asked me if i was sure, i was like hell yea! Lol

USMC Infantry
04-13-11, 01:02 PM
Infantry Yeeeeeeeeee!!