PDA

View Full Version : Maximum distance you can live from a Reserve unit?

Ironman715
02-18-11, 01:29 AM
Hello Marines,

I would like to join 4th ANGLICO down in FLA. My issue is that I live in the North east(on the MA and CT border). I was curious if there was a maximum distance you could live from your reserve unit?

I know that in my talks with the Texas Airborne Army guard they could care less about the distance you lived from the unit providing you make all your drill weekends.

Thank you very much for your time and information Marines.

'Mike

elliscraig12
02-18-11, 09:38 AM
Fill in your profile if you want a response. And don't forget to read the rules.

Gunz
02-18-11, 09:46 AM
Fill in your profile if you want a response. And don't forget to read the rules.

elliscraig12, where can I find the rules?

elliscraig12
02-18-11, 10:30 AM
Go to the Ask A Marine Forum. It's the top thread.

Gunz
02-18-11, 10:36 AM
Go to the Ask A Marine Forum. It's the top thread.

Thank you

YourPhoneIsMine
02-18-11, 10:37 AM
I think they generally limit you to 100 miles but that could depend on various factors. I know that I had the option of transferring to a unit on the east coast despite living in the midwest because I was able to make the monthly trips but I don't know if they'll do that at the accession process.

Ironman715
02-18-11, 10:44 AM
I apologize for not filling in the profile. I have now corrected that situation and appreciate any further information.

'Mike

Gunz
02-18-11, 11:03 AM
I am at a Reserve unit in Michigan. I have known of Marines traveling from Pennsylvania, Chicago Illinois, and even as far as Las Vegas Nevada. Remember it is on your own dime and you will not be reimbursed travel expenses. Travel expenses will most likely cost what you will make that weekend for drill.

Ironman715
02-18-11, 08:18 PM
Thank you Marines. I am going to give the recruiting station down in West Palm Beach a call and find out what the process is. Hopefuly I can do MEPS/ASVAB up here since I am so close to a MEPS. Then go down the FLA to swear in and sign.

Thank you again Marines.

'Mike

Ironman715
02-19-11, 11:36 PM
I find it odd that my local recruiter can only sign me for Reserve units with in X miles of the station? I wonder why that is? At any rate thank you for your help Marines.

'Mike