PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice.

ricky54326
02-18-11, 01:23 AM
Hello Marines. First off, thanks for the time you are taking to read this thread.

I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder, and ODD when I was ten years old. I, unfortunately, have been turned down for a waiver (NOT permanently) due to this. I was told by my recruiter that if I get a Psych evaluation, confirming that I do not have any of these anymore, that I have a pretty good chance of getting in. Would you Marines and non-Marines agree with this? I have wanted to be a Marine all my life and will never give up. I never took medication for either diagnoses, and I have never had any issues besides some uneasiness last year due to a fear of throwing up in public (which I was told wouldn't matter, because I only took some sort of instant action anxiety reliever for about three weeks as a test for this).

What does everyone think?

This has been somewhat of a de-motivator for me. While I was waiting to hear back on my MEPS application, I was working out 6-7 days a week and lost about thirty pounds in a month or two, and was starting to get in really great shape. Unfortunately, after the disqualification (and thereafter lack of interest from my recruiter) I started gaining the weight back (about 15-20lbs of it). I eventually got out of this cloud and regained contact with my recruiter, who still has hope for me.

Once again, a great big thank you for everyone who is taking time out of their day (or night) to read this thread.

(P.S. I thought I was considered a poolee when I signed up, but it turns out I am not - could a Moderator reset that back to Marine Friend until I actually make it past this hardship? Thanks!)

DrZ
02-18-11, 07:06 AM
Go to the psych eval and see what is said. I don't know how much of the eval will be valid since bipolar issues tend to rise more under stress.

At this point, all you can do is follow the recruiters suggestion and continue to get back in shape. If you get back to poolee status, great... and if you don't...then you are a healthier person for dropping the tonnage.

Good luck either way.