PDA

View Full Version : How is this possible?

Paul4iezos
02-17-11, 07:49 PM
Just posting this here because this is the only place I can post anything, and I wanted to see what people thought.

Most of you are probably familiar with the story of the Lone Survivor, in which 4 Navy SEALs were ambushed and only one, Marcus Luttrell, survived and then wrote a book to honor them. Immedately after hearing this, I admired the guy and looked up to him. But recently I saw a video where he was almost bragging about doing some crazy stuff and getting kills etc. But that's not what bothered me..it was when he said "at one point I fell off a mountain" (he already had multiple bullet wounds, shrapnel from an rpg, and a broken back and he was crawling) He went on to say that he fell 1500 feet..Im 99% positive that that is impossible..and it seems as if every time he explains it its a little different..what do you guys think..heres the link, I don't know if it will work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQebS8WUYuA

DanM
02-17-11, 08:45 PM
Maybe, maybe not.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/600113610/Hiker-falls-off-mountain-ledge.html

usmcmsf
02-17-11, 08:53 PM
I don't think he's meaning he fell 1500 feet straight the **** down, with nothing in between. Falling down ridges and slopes etc.

Zulu 36
02-17-11, 09:04 PM
I read Luttrell's book, and he did not fall 1,500 feet straight down. It was as usmcmsf said. But, falling down some rocky steep slopes can make you wish you fell straight down instead.

Devil1087
02-17-11, 09:42 PM
Luttrell didn't even write the book, it was written by another author while Luttrell was deployed in Iraq, half of it is plagiarizing Dick Couch's "The Warrior Elite", a quarter of it is fact, the other quarter is a fantasy made up by the author, who's known for writing Navy SEAL fiction.

Read Michael Murphy's MoH citation, 30-40 Taliban ambushed them not 100-150. Still not good odds, but not an epic firefight where the Spartans held off a million man army for 3 days or anything, the book says they killed like 50 of them. Nope, there weren't even 50 Taliban to kill. There's a lot of glaring errors in terms of technical terms in the book as well that give it away. A lot of the "AAR" mentioned in the book never happened, Axelson didn't kill 15 Taliban with a pistol after being shot several times and almost directly hit with an RPG. It angers me that Luttrell is authorizing this man to write a book that is an obvious disgrace to the memory of the men who died on the Abas Ghar.

The book also failed to mention that it was supposed to be a Marine scout sniper team that was supposed to be inserted, but the SEALs wanted to be a part of the operation to get Shah, the Marines said "bring a PRC-117" to which the SEALs said, "lol no, we got a sat phone"

Devil1087
02-17-11, 09:55 PM
I'm not hating on Luttrell either, in my opinion the author took Luttrell's swagger and Texan attitude and ran too far with it. I think his name is Patrick Robinson.

thewookie
02-17-11, 10:50 PM
Marcus Luttrell is a warrior. Who are you? That is what I think.

Devil1087
02-17-11, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I know, but he didn't actually pen the book. He was interviewed by Patrick Robinson, who wrote it while Luttrell was deployed. When Luttrell says "200 Taliban" that's because that's how many of them were in the area, however he says that he saw 30-40 of them right in front of them and they started to descend and flank them. In an area as small as they were fighting in, 200 fighters would've shredded them instantly. Like I said Murphy's citation says 30-40 Taliban, Luttrell said it was 30-40, only the book says otherwise. Sometimes he does say 80-200 in the interview because Shah controlled only about 30-40 fighters but would leech off of the local militias.

Paul4iezos
02-17-11, 11:08 PM
Marcus Luttrell is a warrior. Who are you? That is what I think.

I'm not old enough to be a poolee but im doing JROTC. Of course he is a warrior and as I said I admired him but if he lied about what he did to make himself look like a hero when his buddies died thats pretty screwed up. I don't know though so I asked what you guyd thought. Why do I always get this kind of reaction Im joining the Corps and 3xx as well.

YourPhoneIsMine
02-17-11, 11:11 PM
I'm not old enough to be a poolee but im doing JROTC. Of course he is a warrior and as I said I admired him but if he lied about what he did to make himself look like a hero when his buddies died thats pretty screwed up. I don't know though so I asked what you guyd thought. Why do I always get this kind of reaction Im joining the Corps and 3xx as well.

yeah don't fret. you don't have to be anything to question things.

Devil1087
02-17-11, 11:17 PM

noooooo

goddammit, he didn't lie about anything, he's human and he does suffer from PTSD. He just didn't write the book, on the cover it says it's by Luttrell and Robinson, many books are written this way, he was still active duty at the time it was written. I'm not saying he's a liar at all, I'm saying that Robinson did a disservice to Luttrell and everyone who died on that mountain.

and kid, how old are you? If you aren't like 16 or 17 just don't bother with saying that you're gonna go 03. When you are actually about to sign your life to the Marine Corps you might be changing your mind on infantry.

thewookie
02-17-11, 11:17 PM

I am going to do a test with you. I am going to get twenty to thirty of my buddies and shoot at you with AKs. Then after ten minutes somebody else is going to shoot at you with 100 of his friends but I won't tell you who is going first. Bet you can't tell the difference. Now do it after you have been shot, your friends are dying and you are evading. 20-30 dudes is a lot of dudes. It isn't easy determining the size of an enemy force under fire, especially when all you see is brief snapshots of battle as you try to raise your head to look around without getting shot. It is perfectly reasonable for him to be off by a hundred. I don't care how well you are trained.

On the other hand, it is equally likely is that the intel reports were way off as well. How are they getting the reports? There is no magic battle tracking system or battlefield CSI, at the end of the day they are getting that information from mathematically challenged Afghans. From what I am told, you will get reports varying from there were two guys to 500 guys. At the end of the day no one has any idea how many guys were there, and Marcus Luttrell was actually there so I would give him the benefit of the doubt. And what if there were "only" thirty? It doesn't take anything away from his heroism. 30 guys on key terrain will certainly put a hurting on a four man team.

thewookie
02-17-11, 11:23 PM
Im 99% positive that that is impossible..

That statement right there, from a kid in JROTC, is why you got the reaction that you got.

Devil1087
02-17-11, 11:28 PM
I am going to do a test with you. I am going to get twenty to thirty of my buddies and shoot at you with AKs. Then after ten minutes somebody else is going to shoot at you with 100 of his friends but I won't tell you who is going first. Bet you can't tell the difference. Now do it after you have been shot, your friends are dying and you are evading. 20-30 dudes is a lot of dudes. It isn't easy determining the size of an enemy force under fire, especially when all you see is brief snapshots of battle as you try to raise your head to look around without getting shot. It is perfectly reasonable for him to be off by a hundred. I don't care how well you are trained.

On the other hand, it is equally likely is that the intel reports were way off as well. How are they getting the reports? There is no magic battle tracking system or battlefield CSI, at the end of the day they are getting that information from mathematically challenged Afghans. From what I am told, you will get reports varying from there were two guys to 500 guys. At the end of the day no one has any idea how many guys were there, and Marcus Luttrell was actually there so I would give him the benefit of the doubt. And what if there were "only" thirty? It doesn't take anything away from his heroism. 30 guys on key terrain will certainly put a hurting on a four man team.

wait, now you're agreeing with me?

i am confuse

thewookie
02-17-11, 11:30 PM
i am confuse
You should be since I was never speaking to you. Or are you confused about which person you are,,,,,,

Devil1087
02-17-11, 11:44 PM
Yeah, probably, don't mind me I'm just gonna be in the back finding some grid squares and the keys to the humvee.

edit: do you know where I can find the PR1C-E8?

Paul4iezos
02-17-11, 11:58 PM
I only hope I'll get 3xx..
and I'm not trying to pretend I'm a Marine or anything, I've just always wanted to be one. Ever since I've even thought about Military I've always thought I'd go for infantry, just what I'm interested in. And I'm not one of those cocky poolies who think theyre gonna go kill em some iraqis. I just like the idea of moving around in a platoon and living off the land etc.
Anyways, back on topic..
I wasn't saying he's a liar it's just I was surprised someone with PTSD and saw his best friends die would talk about it so openly and even crack loads of jokes. Maybe it's cuz he has no1 to confide to..but idk

Devil1087
02-18-11, 12:04 AM
lol living off the land, more like MREs, more like you won't take a dump for 4 days because of those things, thank god for being a pog...

so naive, maybe speak with some grunts first, so they can educate you on the glory of life in the infantry

protip: lots of bullsh*t

Paul4iezos
02-18-11, 12:13 AM
Maybe, maybe not.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/600113610/Hiker-falls-off-mountain-ledge.html

Yea I've heard about people surviving snow.
But with bullet wounds, a broken back, shrapnel etc. and landing in hard ground
But yea there's a good chance Im wrong and he meant all the ridges he fell added up to 1500 feet. But still, that'd be multiple falls of 10-100 feet atleast. Who knows though, if it's all true thats remarkable and a miracle. Which he says it was anyways.

Paul4iezos
02-18-11, 12:16 AM
lol living off the land, more like MREs, more like you won't take a dump for 4 days because of those things, thank god for being a pog...

so naive, maybe speak with some grunts first, so they can educate you on the glory of life in the infantry

protip: lots of bullsh*t

Yea, in this war, and I don't mean finding food in nature. I mean surviving for long periods of time away from base and having to sleep, eat, etc. in the wilderness or just anywhere. I sometimes dont word things right but believe me I have read up on this stuff and I know what Im getting into. I know it isnt fun but at the same time some ppl love it some ppl hate it

Paul4iezos
02-18-11, 12:20 AM
Luttrell didn't even write the book, it was written by another author while Luttrell was deployed in Iraq, half of it is plagiarizing Dick Couch's "The Warrior Elite", a quarter of it is fact, the other quarter is a fantasy made up by the author, who's known for writing Navy SEAL fiction.

Read Michael Murphy's MoH citation, 30-40 Taliban ambushed them not 100-150. Still not good odds, but not an epic firefight where the Spartans held off a million man army for 3 days or anything, the book says they killed like 50 of them. Nope, there weren't even 50 Taliban to kill. There's a lot of glaring errors in terms of technical terms in the book as well that give it away. A lot of the "AAR" mentioned in the book never happened, Axelson didn't kill 15 Taliban with a pistol after being shot several times and almost directly hit with an RPG. It angers me that Luttrell is authorizing this man to write a book that is an obvious disgrace to the memory of the men who died on the Abas Ghar.

The book also failed to mention that it was supposed to be a Marine scout sniper team that was supposed to be inserted, but the SEALs wanted to be a part of the operation to get Shah, the Marines said "bring a PRC-117" to which the SEALs said, "lol no, we got a sat phone"

ha, get this..I found this hard to believe when I heard it but one of the many mainstream media reporters that interviewed him said "They killed over 100 of the taliban fighters but they were just outnumbered". I thought that sounded highly unlikely.

Devil1087
02-18-11, 02:08 AM
Actually there's a huge error that I just realized, and it's something Marcus never even mentions when talking about what happened. Axelson was hit in the head and blinded, Marcus told him to just walk, how could he kill so many Taliban if he's blind?

Because Robinson LIED! Marcus has never said that Axelson went down in a blaze of glory.

Paul4iezos
02-18-11, 01:35 PM
Actually there's a huge error that I just realized, and it's something Marcus never even mentions when talking about what happened. Axelson was hit in the head and blinded, Marcus told him to just walk, how could he kill so many Taliban if he's blind?

Because Robinson LIED! Marcus has never said that Axelson went down in a blaze of glory.

That's probably true. But in this speech Marcus says while crawling and blacking out he was attacked again and he killed more taliban..those taliban must really suck if they can't kill a guy whos crawling and blacking out, and how would Marcus be able to hit him. I heard that while crawling he killed 6 more taliban.

usmcmsf
02-18-11, 03:55 PM
That's probably true. But in this speech Marcus says while crawling and blacking out he was attacked again and he killed more taliban..those taliban must really suck if they can't kill a guy whos crawling and blacking out, and how would Marcus be able to hit him. I heard that while crawling he killed 6 more taliban.

Why don't you go over there and find out how bad they suck

Wyoming
02-18-11, 05:09 PM

He can't.

Ain't but 15 and prolly hasn't dropped yet.

Just one of those video war heros.

Paul4iezos
02-18-11, 07:11 PM

I know they don't suck, that's my point. This whole story is just another Jessica Lynch story in my opinion. Those afghans have been fighting for years before we even went there, except for some reason a guy who was there is going with the story.

Paul4iezos
02-18-11, 07:16 PM
He can't.

Ain't but 15 and prolly hasn't dropped yet.

Just one of those video war heros.

I don't pretend to be an adult or know what I'm talking about..I'm just saying my opinion. Anyways, I know Taliban don't suck at fighting, that's why I think the story of a drastically wounded SEAL killing 6 of them while crawling is impossible. Just propaganda in my opinion, just like Jessica Lynch's story. A little disrespectful to the people who died though.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-18-11, 10:20 PM
ReallY??????

Kid, when you have some experience you can offer an opinion on the whys and wherefores. Until then, kindly STFU when you are speaking of combat, PTSD, and what someone outside of a video game, airsoft, or anything else did or does.

You are quite simply full of sheet. Don't like it? PLEASE give me a smartazz commentary so I can extract you with the black helicopters.

I see you question a Navy Cross winner, or anyone whose actually BEEN through Recruit Training, Infantry School, or been deployed to ANY theatre of war again and you'll be looking for another playground.

I'm not in the habit of banning people for gross stupidity when they are of tender years, but you are about to become the VERY first.

thewookie
02-18-11, 10:27 PM
I don't pretend to be an adult or know what I'm talking about..I'm just saying my opinion. Anyways, I know Taliban don't suck at fighting, that's why I think the story of a drastically wounded SEAL killing 6 of them while crawling is impossible. Just propaganda in my opinion, just like Jessica Lynch's story. A little disrespectful to the people who died though.

I don't think you understand, nobody gives a flying f uck about your opinion as it relates to to warriors fighting. You don't know anything about fighting. Your opinion about this event carries the same weight as a big turd in my toliet. For you to say this or that about what you THINK, is disrespectful. You want to express your opionin, good, do it in 5th grade with your teachers -- they might care.

You need to know your role. You want to speak your opinion,, well, go to myspace and scream out-loud, maybe somebody will care there,, here nobody really cares what you think.

Paul4iezos
02-18-11, 10:50 PM
No disrespect intended.
You can go ahead and ban me, as I don't think there's anyway I can shut down my account.

Paul4iezos
02-18-11, 10:52 PM
ReallY??????

Kid, when you have some experience you can offer an opinion on the whys and wherefores. Until then, kindly STFU when you are speaking of combat, PTSD, and what someone outside of a video game, airsoft, or anything else did or does.

You are quite simply full of sheet. Don't like it? PLEASE give me a smartazz commentary so I can extract you with the black helicopters.

I see you question a Navy Cross winner, or anyone whose actually BEEN through Recruit Training, Infantry School, or been deployed to ANY theatre of war again and you'll be looking for another playground.

I'm not in the habit of banning people for gross stupidity when they are of tender years, but you are about to become the VERY first.

No disrespect intended; please go ahead and ban me as I don't think I can shut down my account.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-18-11, 11:11 PM
What have we learned from this little fiasco?

Trust me, had you posted this on one of the 'SEALS'/Spec ops forums, you'd have taken far more 'abuse'.

You are not 'banned' unless you so request and desire it.

Paul4iezos
02-18-11, 11:35 PM
What have we learned from this little fiasco?

Trust me, had you posted this on one of the 'SEALS'/Spec ops forums, you'd have taken far more 'abuse'.

You are not 'banned' unless you so request and desire it.

Thanks for the advice, I needed it..I won't post stupid stuff on this forum anymore. I also won't give my opinion on stuff on this forum either because I'm a fifteen and don't know what I'm talking about.

No need to ban me I guess, I'll watch what a post for now on.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-18-11, 11:49 PM
Well done. This one is closed as "Lesson learned".