PDA

View Full Version : Reservists can't choose their MOS and other ?s

OFCQuinn
02-16-11, 06:32 PM
So I am in the D.C. area and recently went to an Information Session at the Fairfax recruiting office and just wanted to confirm a couple of items:

1. I was told that with the Reservists' process, you aren't able to choose your MOS. You join, sign on the dotted line and later down the road a list of available MOS' are given, you rate those MOS' based on your preference and are later notified as to which one you have recieved.

Is this true, is there no way to ensure you will join the Marine Reserves as a particular MOS before signing on the dotted line?

2. Is four years really the minimum commitment? I had been told that there was a three year option with the Marine Reserves.

3. Also, if anyone has any knowledge on serving as a reservist while being a federal agent at the same time, that would be helpful. I have read opinions stating that agents such as Special Agents with the FBI are considered essential personell and cannot have military obligations and others say that you can. Then there are those who said that at one time it was allowed but now it isn't and vice versa. If anyone could point to some official documentation or is in a position of authority, that would be extremely appreciated.

FYI: I am a 29 year old police officer in D.C. about to finish my Master's in High Technology Crime this December. I want to begin my federal law enforcement career with the FBI ASAP however I would REALLY like to serve my country as well. My desire is to join in a manner that would further my career such as a CID, LE or technology MOS which is why it's pretty much a make or break for me regarding the ability to choose and have my chosen MOS garunteed to me before joining. If the Marines can't offer that then I will have to consider other branches althought, I really don't want to so I thought I'd ask. THANKS!

TheReservist
02-16-11, 07:36 PM
You are able to choose a specific MOS based on the needs of the unit that you will be going to. Along with the fact that you will have to meet with the First Sgt. of the unit, before you ship to do like an interview with them.

2. Is four years really the minimum commitment? I had been told that there was a three year option with the Marine Reserves.

I've heard rumors that there was a 2x6 contract. 2 years ready reserve and 6 years IRR. In fact, I believe that one of the guys in my unit did have one and everyone was envious. Although I'm not entirely to sure...

3. What do you mean by FBI... as in the FBI police or being a special agent? I went to Iraq with 2 Marines who were part of the FBI Police force. In fact, they both worked in the same office and 1 was an officer who became our Plt. commander while the other was a team leader in the same platoon.

SSgt Lamie
02-17-11, 07:39 AM
With Reservists you will know your specific MOS when you enlist at MEPS. Everything is based on what is available at the Unit you are going to be attached to and if you are qualified for it.

Currently the 2X6 and 3X5 Reserve options are not being used unless it is a special situation. You will more than likely sign a 4X4 or 6X2 contract.

I know several Reservists who are currently working with the FBI, CIA, Homeland Security, and other Law Enforcement agencies. The Reserves will not affect you at all when it comes to this.

OFCQuinn
02-17-11, 09:52 AM
Alright, just to be clear, I understand that you can choose your MOS based on a list of choices that are presented to you which is in turn based on the needs of the unit you of which you will be joining. I just want to make sure that this takes place before I commit to the Marines and not after meaning, I decide to join, I sign and are therefor committed, sent to MEPS where they do their exams and allow me to then choose my MOS based on what they have available at my particular unit v.s. them sending me to MEPS, showing me what is availble in terms of MOS options, me not finding one that I want and deciding NOT to sign on the dotted line and join. Understand?

As far as Reservists who work for federal agencies, I think the confusion comes in when you are talking about special agents v.s. police and the essential personel characteristic attached to the special agent position with the FBI, although obviously I would consider police essential personel as well. Anyways, I have known people to say that they served with Reservists who were also Special Agents with the FBI but I have heared people say that it was allowed at one point but not anymore and vice versa. There is nothing on their website and I have been unsucessesful at obtaining any kind of indication on whether or not an applicant with an existing military commitment would either A. be a disqualifier or B. hurt my resume as special agent recruiters for the FBI would prefer someone without a commitment.

Regardless, the first make or break point for me is the choosing of the MOS. I am already old enough with minimal experience, I simply can't afford to extend that characteristic by serving in the Reserves for four more years as a cook, mechanic, infantry or logistics. There is nothing wrong with those avenues, they are simply no where near my desired career path and I need to be certain, if I join, I will receive a MOS that will at least somewhat support me in a criminal investagatory role.

At the end of the day, I suppose I need to hear all this from a recruiter so if anyone knows of a Reservist recruiter in the DMV area (D.C., Maryland, Virginia) that would be helpful. I just wanted to come on here and see if there was a point to contacting another recruiter. If everyone tells me the same thing as the last recruiter then I guess there would be no point.

THANKS!

Lisa 23
02-17-11, 10:08 AM
Hope this helps.....

The official site of the Marine Corps Reserve

http://www.usmc.mil/unit/marforres/Units/index.aspx

OFCQuinn
02-19-11, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the link. I guess I was actually looking for anyone who has had some personal experience with a reservist recruiter in the DMV area but I suppose I'll start running down that contact list.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-19-11, 07:18 PM
It really, really depends on the unit and what you want to do. Use that link to check out the reserve units from Quantico to Baltimore to Frederick. Then decide which unit most interests you. There used to be a reserve unit at Andrews as well, not sure if it's still there. Also Anacostia. Just depends on how far you want to commute, and, again, what you want to do.

As far as getting released to go to drill, most fed agencies will do it, and you get 'military leave' hours as well. I never had a problem, and basically, being the fed'ral gummint, they pretty much 'have' to let you go.

There isn't much available in an 'investigatory' role as far as reserves go USMC wise, in the DC area as far as I know. You might actually consider the army CID/Warrant officer program for that. They used to have that, not sure if they still do or not.

OFCQuinn
02-20-11, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the advice, I'll start contacting those units. However, while I understand that the MOS I get depends on what I want to do, what units are in the area and what they have available, it shouldn't effect whether or not the USMC Reserves will garuntee you whatever MOS is available before you commit, which is my question. Is there a way to A. Find out what MOS' are available with the local units and then if I find a MOS with a local unit that I want to do, B. Be garunteed that if I join, I will be given that particular MOS?

Sgt Leprechaun
02-20-11, 05:52 PM
There used to be a website, at least for the Md reserves, that showed the available billets. Not sure if it is still around though. Also not sure if it covered the other areas.

The second question can likely be only answered by a recruiter.