PDA

View Full Version : Hematoma in my scrotum

dcrow9
02-16-11, 12:10 PM
I had a varicocelectomy 6 weeks ago to remove a varicocele from my scrotum. I am able to workout and do whatever I want without restrictions and I feel 100%. Only thing is, a hematoma formed after the surgery. While it has gotten a lot smaller, it is still there, and there is a chance it will never go away. I don't notice it is there, it does not hurt, etc. The only way you notice it is if you feel around for it and feel a little lump. My recruiter doesn't know much about this surgery and he won't talk to MEPS for me. He basically forgot about me. If I go see a different recruiter, can I go to MEPS now and pass, or will this disqualify me because of the hematoma?

elliscraig12
02-16-11, 12:21 PM
You should ask your Dr. if it'll go away or not. Then based on what he says, go back to your Recruiter. You could also try Web M.D.

dcrow9
02-16-11, 12:23 PM
You should ask your Dr. if it'll go away or not. Then based on what he says, go back to your Recruiter. You could also try Web M.D.

My surgeon is the one that said it may or may not go away 100%. Right now it is small enough to where I do not even notice it unless you feel for it, but it's definitely there. And I told my recruiter this and he said that he doesn't know. I asked him to talk to MEPS and he said he would but didn't. I think it gave up on me because this issue is going to make it harder to enlist.

Lisa 23
02-16-11, 12:33 PM
Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Commission

Genitalia

Jun 10 2009

The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.

The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction (without an approved waiver (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/medicalwaiver.htm)) are an authenticated history of:

Male genitalia.

Current absence of one or both testicles, either congenital (752.89) or undescended (752.51) is disqualifying.

Current epispadias (752.62) or hypospadias (752.61), when accompanied by evidence of urinary tract infection, urethral stricture, or voiding dysfunction, is disqualifying.

Current enlargement or mass of testicle or epididymis (608.9) is disqualifying.

Current orchitis (604) or epididymitis (604.90) is disqualifying.
History of penis amputation (878.0) is disqualifying.

Current or history of genital infection or ulceration, including, but not limited to herpes genitalis (054.13) and condyloma acuminatum (078.11), if of sufficient severity to require frequent intervention or to interfere with normal function, is disqualifying.

Current acute prostatitis (601.0) or chronic prostatitis (601.1) is disqualifying.
(8) Current hydrocele (603.0), if large or symptomatic, is disqualifying..

Left varicocele (456.4), if symptomatic, or associated with testicular atrophy, or vericocele larger than the testis is disqualifying.

Any right varicocele (456.4) is disqualifying.

Current or history of chronic scrotal pain or unspecified symptoms associated with male genital organs (608.9) are disqualifying.

History of major abnormalities or defects of the genitalia, such as a change of sex (P64.5), hermaphroditism, pseudohermaphroditism, or pure gonadal dysgenesis (752.7) or dysfunctional residuals from surgical correction of these conditions is disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/genitalia.htm

dcrow9
02-16-11, 12:35 PM
Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Commission

Genitalia

Jun 10 2009

The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.

The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction (without an approved waiver (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/medicalwaiver.htm)) are an authenticated history of:

Male genitalia.

Current absence of one or both testicles, either congenital (752.89) or undescended (752.51) is disqualifying.

Current epispadias (752.62) or hypospadias (752.61), when accompanied by evidence of urinary tract infection, urethral stricture, or voiding dysfunction, is disqualifying.

Current enlargement or mass of testicle or epididymis (608.9) is disqualifying.

Current orchitis (604) or epididymitis (604.90) is disqualifying.
History of penis amputation (878.0) is disqualifying.

Current or history of genital infection or ulceration, including, but not limited to herpes genitalis (054.13) and condyloma acuminatum (078.11), if of sufficient severity to require frequent intervention or to interfere with normal function, is disqualifying.

Current acute prostatitis (601.0) or chronic prostatitis (601.1) is disqualifying.
(8) Current hydrocele (603.0), if large or symptomatic, is disqualifying..

Left varicocele (456.4), if symptomatic, or associated with testicular atrophy, or vericocele larger than the testis is disqualifying.

Any right varicocele (456.4) is disqualifying.

Current or history of chronic scrotal pain or unspecified symptoms associated with male genital organs (608.9) are disqualifying.

History of major abnormalities or defects of the genitalia, such as a change of sex (P64.5), hermaphroditism, pseudohermaphroditism, or pure gonadal dysgenesis (752.7) or dysfunctional residuals from surgical correction of these conditions is disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/genitalia.htm

It doesn't say anything specifically about hematomas after surgery, so I guess it's just up to the doctor?

Lisa 23
02-16-11, 12:39 PM
These types of questions can be best answered by the folks at MEPS.
Your best bet is to go and "see" your recruiter "face-to-face", not waiting for him to call you back.

Good luck to you.

Tennessee Top
02-16-11, 03:23 PM
It is impossible to resolve this issue here on this forum.

Pretty clear, if it is your right side you are disqualified (key word is "any"; doesn't matter if it's a result of surgery or not and doesn't matter the size).

If it's on your left side you may have a chance since it is not larger than your testes. In this case, a doctor at MEPS will have to make the determination. You need to find a recruiter who is willing to get you to the MEPS station.

Good luck.

dcrow9
02-16-11, 05:48 PM
It is impossible to resolve this issue here on this forum.

Pretty clear, if it is your right side you are disqualified (key word is "any"; doesn't matter if it's a result of surgery or not and doesn't matter the size).

If it's on your left side you may have a chance since it is not larger than your testes. In this case, a doctor at MEPS will have to make the determination. You need to find a recruiter who is willing to get you to the MEPS station.

Good luck.

That is talking about the size of the actual varicocele. The surgery removed my varicocele so that part does not apply to me. My only issue is a small build up of dried blood.

sparkie
02-16-11, 06:00 PM
Or capallary leakage. I wouldn't worry.