PDA

View Full Version : WTF does a Platoon Guide REALLY do?

civgrunt05
02-16-11, 11:57 AM
Long story short we will be going somewhere and it looks like the powers that be plan on having a Plt Cdr, Plt Sgt, Plt GUIDE, and 3 Sqd Ldrs.

I've always operated in a platoon with the above construct (minus the guide -- this is 03 field BTW).

I've been in every position in a platoon (due to lack of SNCOs and Officers), but never a guide. I've never had a guide outside of SOI and Bootcamp. Depending on how things fall and who gets out and who sticks around, I may end up being the guide.

Does the T/O specify just what duties a Platoon Guide has?

Has anyone been in a platoon that used a guide? What did he do?

Thx

Baker1971
02-16-11, 01:51 PM
Mixed company reading this, don't you think it's a little rude to ask WTF on a forum like this? Just ask the question.
There are kids, poolees, older and younger Marines, who wants to see WTF?

ZSKI
02-16-11, 02:18 PM
Honestly as far as i know the platoon guide is just a place of honor. You are the face of a platoon or company. Pretty much have the honor of holding the platoon colors durring times in which its needed

Tennessee Top
02-16-11, 02:59 PM
civgrunt05 seems to like that acronym a lot since it's in his profile too.

He is also his favorite Marine if you can believe that one (I believe it).

civgrunt05
02-16-11, 03:36 PM
I apologize if I offended anyone here with the use of the Whisky Tango Foxtrot, but in my defense the open squad pay description reads "Exchange ideas and thoughts with your Band of Brothers. Remember to be courteous and respectful." and the top of the page reads "Marine Corps Community for Marine Veterans." With that I figured that I was open to use an acronym for something very much so in the Marine vernacular. I honestly didn't realize it was such a family oriented place. If I overlooked some rule in saying that, I'll go haze myself.As to the favorite Marine question:Was I really expected to answer "Smedley Butler" or "John Basilone?" Are we that institutionalized? If I really am my own favorite Marine, what does that really mean? It means I've been bred with the same cocky attititude that everyone here needs to have so that when your legs are begging you to quit before you make them hump up that next steep hill you say to yourself, "No, I'll be damned if I'll let any of these Marines show me up here."As to the original topic:ZSKI, I also took that to be the use of the guide. Heck, we normally let a good to go Lance fill the roll for the Company. With that said, my O is talking like he plans for this to be a functional position somewhere between a Squad Leader and a Plt. Sgt. I'm trying to gather intel on just what that means before I go to him and say, "Sir, I really have no good idea of just what the 'heck' a guide's roll is in the platoon."Semper

Baker1971
02-16-11, 03:40 PM
Slow deep breaths

civgrunt05
02-16-11, 03:46 PM
LOL, I really had formatted that post a little better. I hit enter a few times and broke it up, I really don't know what happen.

Phantom Blooper
02-16-11, 05:05 PM
Beans

Bullets

Bandages

Bad Guys

Platoon Administration

Platoon Logistics

Take care of all attachments w/same as above.

Take care of corpsman.

Coordinate with squad leaders with platoon duties and games.

Quinbo
02-16-11, 05:34 PM
Beans

Bullets

Bandages

Bad Guys

Platoon Administration

Platoon Logistics

Take care of all attachments w/same as above.

Take care of corpsman.

Coordinate with squad leaders with platoon duties and games.

I had typed something up then went back and read Chucks post a I'll say his is spot on.

The guide is more or less the company gunny at a platoon level. You also act in the platoon Sgts stead in his absense.

civgrunt05
02-16-11, 06:32 PM
I had typed something up then went back and read Chucks post a I'll say his is spot on.

The guide is more or less the company gunny at a platoon level. You also act in the platoon Sgts stead in his absense.

RGR. Thanks. It sounds like much of what I did as a Plt. Sgt. anyway.

I'd rather just be the platoon Sgt. or a Squad Ldr, but we will see where the cards fall.

Thanks fellas.

TheReservist
02-16-11, 07:25 PM
You'll be the Plt Sgt. lackey... kinda like the police sgt.

sgt tony
02-16-11, 08:48 PM
Well I was a Platoon Guide back in the 80s and then that was the job of the Plt. Sgt.

Quinbo
02-16-11, 09:11 PM
Having done the guide thing I can say that I prefer Squad Leader.

BumperFIT
07-01-14, 11:01 AM
Platoon Guide-Saw this being brought into after my first unit, was odd at first b/c prior salts never had this going on. Basically, they pooled them in mostly from Recon to fill this slot. The reason was to not have distraught Marines or to lose the moral of the Marines who were left to fill the ranks after salts all had turnover EAS or left the unit when re-enlisted, etc... I even had to fight to get into another MOS and jumped at every angle to leave my company unit as it was weak and full of too much politics, I did manage, lack of leadership and favoritism which had filled the ranks with incompetent young kids as squad leaders. But, senior Marines and officers saw this a mile away and these kids were by-all-mean no ability to lead in time of war-so then, these more hardened and experienced, capable guys were brought over to fill this gap and I am glad they did. The funny part was these kids still thought they ran things. But, it is was odd seeing a Platoon Sergeant and then a Platoon Guide; basically the same role. Old post, yeah, so what, the internet pulled this up when I looked-and here is an honest answer :)

Baker1971
07-02-14, 08:28 AM
What the hell is a bumperfit ?
No profile ???

USMC 2571
07-02-14, 08:37 AM
Why are old threads constantly being resurrected? I have seen a poolee ask for advice, the thread gets old, the kid made Sgt Major of the Marine Corps, retired, has been out ten years, and someone replies to his initial long ago question of how many pull ups does he have to do in boot camp. LOL.

Baker1971
07-02-14, 08:39 AM
LOL... That was great !!! Wondering the same thing myself.

USMC 2571
07-02-14, 08:40 AM
Or someone asks, in 2006, about something, and in 2014 someone comes up with the answer......I saw a kid ask about MCT, then come to find out he had made Major General at Camp Lejeune before someone thought to resurrect his thread from the cemetery of dead and gone threads.

FistFu68
07-02-14, 09:00 AM
Haha if it were an extenuating circumstance that would B a Helluva Lot back pay

advanced
07-02-14, 09:14 AM
Or someone asks, in 2006, about something, and in 2014 someone comes up with the answer......I saw a kid ask about MCT, then come to find out he had made Major General at Camp Lejeune before someone thought to resurrect his thread from the cemetery of dead and gone threads.

Some of us are just a little sloooow Dave.

advanced
07-02-14, 09:31 AM
Easy for you to say

USMC 2571
07-02-14, 10:11 AM
(Russ' comment was directed at a person or thing or entity of some kind who just posted but who has once again been removed from the site).

advanced
07-02-14, 10:20 AM
Was it 1 of our friends Dave? Funny how they miss us and want to be with us.

USMC 2571
07-02-14, 10:31 AM
Russ, it was a frequently-banned spammer who posts links that are suspicious re viruses etc. Always banned, never learned to just fit in and go with the flow, I guess.

USMC 2571
07-02-14, 10:32 AM
One of the "10 percent" our DIs always talked about.
Only nowadays it's up to at least 25%.

FoxtrotOscar
07-02-14, 11:15 AM
USMC2571 is a "Ladygago" magnet...!!!;)

Baker1971
07-02-14, 11:18 AM
Lady gaga is on this Forum ?
She's one wacked broad...Nice outfits, hahahahaha.

advanced
07-02-14, 11:20 AM
Lady gaga is on this Forum ?
She's one wacked broad...Nice outfits, hahahahaha.

I guess when she wears her meat outfit you could just chow down anywhere.

Baker1971
07-02-14, 11:21 AM
:sick:

FoxtrotOscar
07-02-14, 12:09 PM

Phantom Blooper
07-02-14, 05:59 PM
Why are old threads constantly being resurrected?Have to do sumptin'....the powers that won't be....deleted ALL da' other threads.....

USMC 2571
07-02-14, 07:17 PM
Excellent and valid point!

FistFu68
07-02-14, 08:15 PM
Yepper had a Great Plt Guide across tha Pond got Me a New Rubber Lady whenEv I wanted it 4 introducing Him 2 a Hot DoughNut Dolly from My Home Town & High School...

Phantom Blooper
07-02-14, 08:19 PM
How many of them "Rubber Biotchs" did you wear out Fist? New Thread?

FistFu68
07-02-14, 08:55 PM
HaHaHa...Oh a Couple of 'Em but they were a Great Barter Item S/F

m14ed
07-03-14, 03:39 AM
What the hell is a bumperfit ?

No profile ??? **

No profile is becomming common .

On here now, I continue to see it all the time.

All the way from our "Village-Idiot"
down to our newest "mula" (pbuh)