PDA

View Full Version : 0341 question

kjohnson8824
02-15-11, 11:57 PM
So I have searched the site about this topic and I understand that 0341's carry alot of wieght, and use mortar systems. My question is are they like artillery Marines? Or do they go out with the rest of infantry. I know I cant really choose my job but I have an 03xx contract and I was just trying to get some information on the life of an 0341.

Thanks for the help.

Devil1087
02-16-11, 01:08 AM
No one really knows what they do...well except they hump a lot of weight. No it's nothing like Artillery, similar but there's not a big f*cking howitzer involved.

No guarantees for it either. If you want to be mortars you'll have to roll the dice.

GunRun
02-16-11, 02:09 AM
in country, our Mortarmen were very flexible. If the patrolled with the rest of us, they carried a hand-held 60mm system and about 4 to 8 rounds depending on the amount of Mortarmen going out.

Most of the time, when not on patrol, our guys were always on stand-by to use the 81mm mortar at a moments notice. Since they had to be ready at all times, they didn't stand post (guard), but the monitored the radios when not using the 81mm.

During training, though, 41s on a Line (Rifle) company will hump around the 60mm mortar tube, bipods, and plate. Other than that, we never saw them during any training operations and only magically reappeared after the range has been declared cold again. You would also see them do their gun drills from time to time, and to anyone who doesn't know, it looks like some sort of satanic ritual with weird stick placed all over the ground and yelling, lots and lots of yelling, while they gathr around their tubes....

03Mike
02-16-11, 08:22 AM
So I have searched the site about this topic and I understand that 0341's carry alot of wieght, and use mortar systems. My question is are they like artillery Marines? Or do they go out with the rest of infantry. I know I cant really choose my job but I have an 03xx contract and I was just trying to get some information on the life of an 0341.

Thanks for the help.

All infantrymen carry a lot of weight. The mortar, bipod, and baseplate are split up amongst the mortar team when carried. Likewise, the ammo is heavy, and while it is split up amongst the company (at least the 60mm mortar ammo), the mortar squad will hump more mortar ammo than the average grunt in the unit.

An 0341 is part of an infantry unit, and can expect to go where they go. The 81mm mortar platoon is part of the weapons company of an infantry battalion and while they may usually transport via HUMVs, but they are also called upon to be foot mobile. 60mm mortar squads are part of the rifle companies and are foot mobile - when the riflemen walk, the mortarmen walk.

All mortarmen assigned to an infantry battalion can become riflemen at the drop of a hat. If the situation does not call for / allow for indirect fire support, then guess what - you're riflemen.

kjohnson8824
02-16-11, 09:37 AM
Thanks Marines for all the information, I know I cant pick what 03xx job I want, I was curious to what they do. But I deffinately got my question answered.

GunRun
02-16-11, 03:20 PM
One thing to think about, just do well on your PFT and pass all your test at SOI. For the most part,one week before the company splits for 0311s and Weapons, they'll ask for volunteers for WPNS training. I was originally going for 0311, but I put my name down for 0331 and I got it.

kjohnson8824
02-16-11, 04:26 PM
How do you like 0331?

GunRun
02-16-11, 07:08 PM
Best job in the infantry Hands down. that's just my opinion. We Machinegunners are extremely passionate about our line of work. there's something to think about?

You want to consider it?

kjohnson8824
02-16-11, 09:55 PM
Well I don't really think I have a choice to what specific MOS I get. But If I did I just want to know what each infantry job is like.

GunRun
02-17-11, 02:07 AM
Kid, If you think like that it won't happen. Just go for what you want.