PDA

View Full Version : Met a Marine today

USNAviator
02-15-11, 06:59 PM
I was schedule to have lunch with an old friend who teaches at the Harvard Business School. While waiting for the elevator, a young man rolled up in a wheel chair, not a motorized one either

I could tell he was lacking both legs As the door opened I asked if he was going up or down he replied "Up sir" Now sir is not a word you hear very often in the NE. Not like back home.

When we both got on I joked that you don't have to call me sir, I'm retired. He replied "Just something I learned in the Corps, Sir". We didn't have much time to talk but when I met my friend he filled me in. This young man finished near the top of his class at Princeton. He could have found a cushy job anywhere but he chose to serve his country. Went through Quantico, TBS and then right to Iraq. He was leading a patrol when one of his men triggered an IED. That man died but the young Lt., though seriously wounded crawled over to him to make sure he was OK and to give aid as best he could and then passed out

Months of surgery including a double amputation and recuperation at Bethesda.

Well he got back on track, applied to Harvard and now is on his way to what I'm sure will be a very successful career in business. But the bottom line is ,he didn't have to go and he didn't have to join the Corps but this young man wanted the best, to be challenged by the best and I'm sure he'll answer each new challenge with the same fortitude and courage

Yes, there are still some good ones out there gentleman

sparkie
02-15-11, 07:49 PM
I know there are a few good kids still left,,,,,,,, or I wouldn't write to them in boot. We may be less,,,, but we're not gone.

hbharrison
02-15-11, 08:03 PM
Dan there are a whole bunch of goods one still out there and more to come. The numbnuts just seem to be the only ones who show up when you don't need them. But when you get to meet young men and women like this makes the numbnuts look even worse.

USNAviator
02-15-11, 08:28 PM
Dan there are a whole bunch of goods one still out there and more to come. .

I hope so Butch because if not, we're in a whole heap of trouble. You know I wanted to feel sorry for this young man but I couldn't. Nothing about him said quitter

Sgt Leprechaun
02-15-11, 08:33 PM
Well done sir. Concur. I don't feel 'sorry' for him either...and I don't think he'd want ANYone to.

lonewolf121
02-15-11, 08:57 PM
Simply awesome! :usmc:

Phantom Blooper
02-15-11, 09:12 PM
I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet. -Anonymous

I have met over the years allot of Marines and soldiers from these current wars that have been wounded by IEDS and are wheelchair bound or have TBI from the time served.....and over the years in the course of the conversation.....for the few minutes.....none of them were ever too overly concerned with themselves....but with losing the comrades surrounding them in the conflict.

God bless ALL the Marines and solders serving and in harms way....and ALL in the military and VA hospitals from ALL generations suffering from the seen and unseen wounds!

Semper-Fi!

USNAviator
02-15-11, 09:45 PM
I.....and over the years in the course of the conversation.....for the few minutes.....none of them were ever too overly concerned with themselves....but with losing the comrades surrounding them in the conflict.Semper-Fi!

I agree Chuck. I think if I had the opportunity to talk with this fine young man more I would have found what I call the "presence of command". It's simply internal, whether it be E-1 to O-9. it's there and anyone who comes in contact with this type of person knows it as well

Tennessee Top
02-16-11, 03:08 AM
Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing your experience sir! All of us need to hear more like that.

Mongoose
02-16-11, 07:23 AM
While I was at Philadelphia Naval Hospital getting bone graft surgery. There was a bar right off the hospital grounds, called the Dolphin. After I was able to get around. I used to go there in the evenings and hang out. There was always Marines in there from the hospital. Lots of them would be in wheel chairs. Some with no legs, one leg and one arm, and so on. Used to drink beer and shoot the sket. Not one time, did I ever hear a Marine , pizz and moan about his condition. Never seen one feel sorry for theirself. More than a few times, I heard one say. I wish I could be back with my unit. I dont need no legs to kill gooks. They were more concerned about their brothers, still in Country, than for them selves. I felt some what out of place amoung those men of honor. And when I see or hear some one feeling sorry for their self. I always remember those Marines, who gave so much already. Only felt sorry they didnt have more to give.

sparkie
02-16-11, 05:14 PM
Being a Marine is not a givin,,,,,,,,,, But being a Marine is givin.

sparkie
02-16-11, 05:28 PM
Being a Marine
is not a given
but a Marine gives

Damm,,,,, I wrote a Haiku. Wow.

doc h fmf
02-16-11, 05:43 PM
Thank You Sir, That Was A Tear Jerker<. Met Alot Of Brothers From Iraq And Stan Wheel Chair Bound. I Try To Help Them They Say Thank You Sir I Am Not Handicapped Ican Do It My Self.

Semper Fi And Godbless All Our Brave Men In Harms Way

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

USNAviator
02-16-11, 05:56 PM
Thank You Sir, That Was A Tear Jerker<. Met Alot Of Brothers From Iraq And Stan Wheel Chair Bound. I Try To Help Them They Say Thank You Sir I Am Not Handicapped Ican Do It My Self.

Semper Fi And Godbless All Our Brave Men In Harms Way

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Absolutely Doc. You know when I was talking to this young man I was standing, looking down at him in the wheelchair. Yet I sense he saw things differently, he was standing looking me square in the eye

Rocky C
02-16-11, 06:34 PM
Thank you for sharing that story Commander.

Awesome SIR !!!

wildwoman73
02-16-11, 07:02 PM
Awesome story. And very inspiring.

Wyoming
02-16-11, 08:39 PM
Awesome story. And very inspiring.

Very! Quite! Thanks Dan.