PDA

View Full Version : 1 month to go- 03xx future Marine. Advice.

ImpatientPoolee
02-15-11, 11:56 AM
Hello Marines.

I'm a poolee out here in San Antonio, Texas and leave for MCRD SD on March 28th. I was ultimately asked by my recruiter, "if you wanna leave now, and you want to be a Marine- I have an infantry MOS available." I thought about it for a day, then called my recruiter back and told him "hell yes, let's do it."

I just had my MOS guaranteed and am really going to be a grunt! I'm going to go into this with a clear-head, and a serious ego-check. Not going to be that Pfc. at SOI screaming at everyone else because of his own motardedness.

So really all I wanted to know from you Marines who have served under an 03xx MOS is- what's it like?
What are some of the funner jobs within the infantry MOS?

Any info would be appreciated, thanks gentleman! :flag:

MarinesFTW
02-15-11, 06:00 PM
I'm no grunt, but you seem to have a good head on your shoulders. Thats really good to see, because trust me, there are going to be alot of people that you meet that dont. I have some really good friends that LOVE infantry, and then there are thes few that wish they were something else. Its a hit and miss with everyone. We all have those moments where we wish we were some where else, doing something else. All you need to do is get that out of your head, stay moto, and keep pushing forward. Some advice for you though, no matter how much it sucks, or how scared you might be, take any single leadership position you can get your hands on. I wish I would of tried more in Boot Camp, cant go back and change it, but I learned my lesson. I graduated 2nd in my class A school and am first right now in C school. Just gotta get up every morning, shave, brush your fangs, and go out and do your job to the best of your ability, no matter what.

ImpatientPoolee
02-15-11, 06:22 PM
Some advice for you though, no matter how much it sucks, or how scared you might be, take any single leadership position you can get your hands on... Just gotta get up every morning, shave, brush your fangs, and go out and do your job to the best of your ability, no matter what.

That's some solid advice Marine, and I'm going to store that one- it's a keeper. I had a Marine fresh out of boot tell me that if I have good handwriting (I have feminine looking cursive. hah) then try to be a scribe, I hear they usually get that promotion out of boot as well.

I know I'm on the right path because I look for excuses to hang out at the station and be around Marines, I love it. I love singing cadences, and I love to PT- guess that means I'll fit right in and be a good Marine.

Thanks!

-Poolee Gracy

03Mike
02-15-11, 07:07 PM
Life in the infantry -- well --- I hope this link can give you some perspective: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101757 - scroll down to post number 9 on that thread. Hope it gives some perspective.

Devil1087
02-15-11, 07:12 PM
03Mike is right, but it also might be worse for you in garrison, maybe you'll deploy to Afghanistan by the time you're out of SOI, otherwise enjoy being a peacetime infantryman, i'm sure that can't be too much fun.

ImpatientPoolee
02-16-11, 12:37 AM
Life in the infantry -- well --- I hope this link can give you some perspective: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101757 - scroll down to post number 9 on that thread. Hope it gives some perspective.

Love it. Give me some.

Tennessee Top
02-16-11, 03:55 AM
Good luck to you. Can't offer any insight into a grunt's life but the USMC is all what you make it. It can be the best experience of your life or the worst. You seem to have the right attitude. Just do the very best you can every day in everything you do...nobody can ask anything more. There may be days when you get discouraged but keep your eye on the prize...it's worth it.

michagnu
02-16-11, 07:29 PM
Unfortunately, no one can be told what the infantry is. You have to see it for yourself. You've just taken the red pill and are about to find out just how deep the rabbit hole goes.
I think Morpheus would have appreciated the experience.

chadhertz
02-20-11, 09:11 PM
03mike pretty much nailed it with the post on the other thread. You seem pretty moto about it even after reading that, good on you I guess. I was the same way. After saying that I hope you are ready for the challenges of the 03 world. Anyone can read something like that and be like I can do that, but it's not until you experience it that you realize it ****ING SUCKS 99% of the time. That doesn't mean I don't like my job either but it is very rough.

DrZ
02-21-11, 07:05 AM
Plain and simple....as with all jobs in the Corps...Keep your head and a$$ wired together. Stay squared away and do everything you do to the best of your ability and you will be fine. Become a slacker in any way, shape, or form and you will end up wishing you had stayed at home with your Mommy and girlfriend.

Good luck to you.

advanced
02-21-11, 01:30 PM
Kid - I was going to tell you some things about Marine Corps Infantry, then I thought better about that.

Good Luck to you.