PDA

View Full Version : Dislocated Shoulders

Taviah
02-14-11, 09:45 PM
Last night I was doing handstand push ups when I leaned forward a bit and both of my shoulders popped out landing me on my face. My right arm went right back into place but my left arm stayed out until my brother came and put it back in. My recruiter told me that I cannot PT at all until my arm is better, and my dad said not to do anything with them for a month. Well, my ship date is March 21st and I am worried that It will either become a DQ to boot camp, or a problem in boot camp.

If my shoulders dislocate again during boot camp will they kick me out? I've started taking Magnesium in hopes that my shoulders will hold tighter. I need some advice on what I can do to not mess up my ship date, mos and possibly being kicked out of boot camp.

Phantom Blooper
02-14-11, 10:08 PM
Current joint dislocation if unreduced, or history of recurrent dislocations of any major joint such as shoulder (831), hip (835), elbow (832), knee (836), ankle (837), or instability of any major joint (shoulder (718.81), elbow (718.82), hip (718.85), ankle and foot (718.87) or multiple sites (718.89)) is disqualifying.

I would recommend taking Calcium substitutes and REST.

But I would also say to get you a soft ball and squeeze it.

Get a small 1# weight and do curls.

Try this site.....I had left shoulder surgery years back and it does help to strengthen it.....

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00067

Also quit fallen down mountains and being accident prone.

Good luck!

crazymjb
02-14-11, 10:28 PM
See a physical therapist ASAP. They can give you joint tightening/strengthening excercises that can make a big difference, even in a month.

Mike

Taviah
02-14-11, 11:50 PM
Thank you Marines for the advice. I will be sure to do those exercise and stop proving my self to be an idiot. Basically from here on out I am sitting on my butt and healing. I'll be doing plenty of those exercises. I had better start getting a lot more sleep as well.

Tennessee Top
02-15-11, 10:07 AM
Bad timing. Good luck healing up in time. In your case, sitting on your butt is a good thing (difficult to hurt yourself that way)!

MarinesFTW
02-15-11, 06:01 PM
You WILL get sent home if it happens in boot camp, and they send you to medical for it. It happened to a kid in my platoon. Not to scare you, just telling you the facts.