PDA

View Full Version : The only time I was ever at Parris Island was for boot camp...

AlohaMarine
02-14-11, 12:51 AM
I got bored and looked at it on Google earth.

Talk about a shock. Parris Island seemed to be the size of the state of Texas when you were there. The rifle range, housing, the PX area, and the "historic" area of Parris Island is TINY. Why did it take us 4 or 5 hours to march to the rifle range when its not even 4 blocks from our squad bays?

The spooky flightline area has some size to it, but its still no where near as big as they made it out to be. I thought we were running for so long into the woods that we were definitely going to get lost, probably end up in Georgia or something. The fact that it was surrounded by water was oblivious to me.

Has anyone else gone to Parris Island after boot and had similar feelings?
After I graduated I got in the car and left. I did not want to see any more of that place and I dont suppose Ill ever be back.

MGySgtSki
02-14-11, 02:45 AM
I went back a couple of years after I graduated and it seemed a ton smaller. It was really strange walking around there and not being a recruit. Spent about 3 or 4 hours there, max, and got back in the car and drove back to Lejeune. This was quite a few years ago, so I'm sure it has changed a ton since I left that Saturday afternoon.

crazymjb
02-14-11, 09:06 AM
Remember the huts you stay at during the crucible? Remember the first long section of the hike before you have your 10 minute break leading up to the last leg... Well if you make a head call during that 10 minute break, you are using the port-a-potty's right next to the huts. Lots of walking in circles, and yes it does seem huge when you're there.

I'll probably go back eventually, I'll probably wait until a friend is graduating or something. There are definitely some nice vacation spots around there.

Mike

SgtThrasher
02-14-11, 09:35 AM
I got bored and looked at it on Google earth.

Talk about a shock. Parris Island seemed to be the size of the state of Texas when you were there. The rifle range, housing, the PX area, and the "historic" area of Parris Island is TINY. Why did it take us 4 or 5 hours to march to the rifle range when its not even 4 blocks from our squad bays?

The spooky flightline area has some size to it, but its still no where near as big as they made it out to be. I thought we were running for so long into the woods that we were definitely going to get lost, probably end up in Georgia or something. The fact that it was surrounded by water was oblivious to me.

Has anyone else gone to Parris Island after boot and had similar feelings?
After I graduated I got in the car and left. I did not want to see any more of that place and I dont suppose Ill ever be back.

Things must have changed @PI ,we had a half day off ,(base only) after graduation and left for Camp Geiger the next morning @0600 in a Bus.Of course that was 1965.I hope to have a reunion with my platoon @PI before we get too old.:evilgrin:

AlohaMarine
02-15-11, 09:02 AM
Remember the huts you stay at during the crucible? Remember the first long section of the hike before you have your 10 minute break leading up to the last leg... Well if you make a head call during that 10 minute break, you are using the port-a-potty's right next to the huts. Lots of walking in circles, and yes it does seem huge when you're there.

I'll probably go back eventually, I'll probably wait until a friend is graduating or something. There are definitely some nice vacation spots around there.

Mike

I remember on family day I took my parents to the rappel tower (I wanted them to see that I rappelled down THAT), and it only took me about 5 minutes to get there in a car. I was like "There's no way were here already, it has to be further"

Chad Leddy
02-15-11, 10:33 AM
Parris Island was unfortunately my first duty station. I spent 13 months there until the stop loss/stop move ended and then pulled a favor from my gunny to get out to CA.

Marine84
02-15-11, 08:25 PM
I've been back several times - the first time was at my 20 year mark - trucker friend of mine was delivering to the Island and I rode with him.

It DOES (did) feel funny. I felt as long as I didn't see a DI, I would be OK. We stopped at a stop sign and pulled off to the side just to watch a platoon of guys march by. It was cool as hell! I could tell they had been there for a while because they were all in step - the DI wasn't even calling cadence. I'm sure he gave them explicit instructions once he realized we were pulling up JUST to watch them.

I think everybody should go back at least once.

triplethreat459
02-18-11, 11:57 AM
It is amazing how much smaller it seems when you are in a car and not marching.