PDA

View Full Version : Supplement for Running + Other PT

irpwns
02-13-11, 11:47 PM
Anyone know of any good supplements that can help improve running endurance? Maybe, also help with pullup reps progression.

I do understand nothing beats, hard devoting work to improve PT.

Any help or information at all would be greatly appreciated.

ricky54326
02-13-11, 11:55 PM
I would really like this as well, if anyone has any suggestions. I have been working out for 1H -1.5H for about the last 2-3 months, 5-6 days a week, with very little improvement, and I've been working my ass off... I have no idea why. I think supplements + keeping my current routine would help.

kjohnson8824
02-14-11, 09:45 AM
Well first off your routine might be the problem. But a good supllement that I use is Muscle Milk. Its not really a supllement its just a protien shake with a bunch of vitamins in it too. I wouldnt get supllements because you would lose muscle really fast once you get off of them (once you go to boot camp).

IHaveEGA843
02-14-11, 12:17 PM
I dont know if its the supplements because I take them and find a slight gain in energy during the day but usually you just **** all the vitiamins out during the day.

Theres no real way to get around running but you can train on the eliptical and bike to help build your legs and tone them so you can run longer/faster.

Calistetics(sp?) is the best PT you can do because thats what you'll be doing when you go to RT. From body builders to side stradle hops is what you will do at RT.

Also, another good way to speed yourself up is sprints while running distances. Run a mile and sprint every other light pole. If you have to walk then walk the light pole but sprint the next one.

I use to train for 2 whole hours with no grain but when I switched back to my basic 45 min-1 hr work outs I started losing weight again and actually doing better at running and stuff.

Odysseus32
02-14-11, 12:22 PM
The only way to get better at running is running. Every day. Mix up speed work with distance training and interval training. I would say run at least 5 times a week, if not 6 as well as pull-ups, push ups, and ab work every other day. The only way to get better at PT...is to PT hard.

calebh180
02-14-11, 05:02 PM
water on the weekdays and beer on the weekends

Domc
02-14-11, 05:09 PM
water on the weekdays and beer on the weekends

I fear I will have to quit this routine after getting yelled at by a Gunnery Seargeant at my last poolee function for weighing more then I should.

On topic though, while supplements are good, I am personally taking Ravage, Pink Magic, and D4. I would recommend getting accustom to doing your PT without them like you will at boot.

calebh180
02-14-11, 05:24 PM
I was taking creatine but now I just eat well and drink tons of water.

DubGee
02-15-11, 06:57 AM
Protein is the only supplement a poolee needs. And protein can be had from fish, chicken, steak, pork, milk, cottage cheese, cheese, nuts, etc.

Around 1gram of protein per pound of bodyweight will work well enough to recover your muscles STRONGER than the previous state (ie. less sore in the morning) and also prevent muscle breakdown.

Cant eat enough meat? Head to a local supplement dealer (Vitamin Shoppe, vitamin world, etc. GNC is too expensive btw) and grab a jug of Optimum Nutrition(ON) 100% whey protein. $23.99 for 2 lbs, around 1 months worth of the worlds #1 rated whey protein. Ive gone through countless jugs (been in the game for a while) and its the only brand I use. Great results.

Odysseus32
02-15-11, 01:48 PM
DubGee:

Hey dude I was wondering if you could give me some tips as well. I see you have finally hit under 2:30 on your 1.5 mile. I have been stuck at right around 2:45 for some time I need to get it down though.

BTW I hit 5k recently so I can help you on your crunches.

you in?

irpwns
02-15-11, 02:48 PM
what do you mean by 2:30?

Odysseus32
02-15-11, 05:02 PM
what do you mean by 2:30?

2 mins 30 seconds of course

DubGee
02-15-11, 05:30 PM
DubGee:

Hey dude I was wondering if you could give me some tips as well. I see you have finally hit under 2:30 on your 1.5 mile. I have been stuck at right around 2:45 for some time I need to get it down though.

BTW I hit 5k recently so I can help you on your crunches.

you in?

Bro getting under 2:30 was a painnnnn. But I just did sprints everyday of the 1 week before my ist. Sprinted for 5min straight, with a 15sec rest. 10 times. 3x a day.

And these crunches are killing me. Ive gotten up to 4,990 now. I usually do 500-1000 crunches a day with a 300lb barbell but I dont have any more plates sooo i guess Ill have to go to the gym and show off using their weights :)

irpwns
02-15-11, 05:33 PM
Run a mile and a half in under 2mins and 30secs? How is that even possible?

DubGee
02-15-11, 06:04 PM

Hard work, perseverance, dedication, commitment, drive, heart, good nutrition, and excellent cardiovascular endurance.

mfryer
02-15-11, 06:05 PM

Clearly a jokE

mfryer
02-15-11, 06:06 PM

Clearly a joke

Odysseus32
02-15-11, 06:11 PM
Hard work, perseverance, dedication, commitment, drive, heart, good nutrition, and excellent cardiovascular endurance.

You know most people just don't get that. They shall learn

And yeah I hear you on that sprint work. Some of my worst qualities is endurance. I sprint for about 4-4:15 and take 25-30 second rest. Add that to the fact I only do it 7 times, 2 times a day and you have a recipe for a serious plateau.

Yeah crunches are a beast, I found the best way is to use as much weight as possible when doing them. That's probably why you're stuck, I have a 600 lb Barbell to use it's helped me out a lot.

DubGee
02-15-11, 06:19 PM
Clearly a joke

Haterrr

You know most people just don't get that. They shall learn

And yeah I hear you on that sprint work. Some of my worst qualities is endurance. I sprint for about 4-4:15 and take 25-30 second rest. Add that to the fact I only do it 7 times, 2 times a day and you have a recipe for a serious plateau.

Yeah crunches are a beast, I found the best way is to use as much weight as possible when doing them. That's probably why you're stuck, I have a 600 lb Barbell to use it's helped me out a lot.

Man 600lbs? Like I said, I need to start hittin up the gym so I can get all the weight I need. I usually do 3x50 200lb barbell back extensions too, just for the added back strength/support.

What do your pull ups look like?

ImpatientPoolee
02-15-11, 06:32 PM
You guys are morons.

You can't run a 1.5 mile in under 2:30.

Quit your bull****.

I've seen a kid knock out 180 crunches in 2:00, 31 pull-ups, and a 7:32 1.5 mile- and this kid was a beast. Don't try to fool anyone, cut the bull****.

ricky54326
02-15-11, 06:33 PM
^ Obviously these kids are trolling. 5,000 crunches? Yeah...

ImpatientPoolee
02-15-11, 06:34 PM
Hell I can do 5,000 crunches, in a day- not in 2:00. Yah, why would you even put something like that on here?

DubGee
02-15-11, 06:53 PM
I love when people doubt me :)

Odysseus32
02-15-11, 07:25 PM
I love when people doubt me :)

I know...suckers don't get it just adds fuel to the fire.

My pull-ups are okay I usually get around 675 on a normal day. it just depends really.

I just do curls. Concentration, Cable, etc. Normally if I'm just doing normal DB curls I have to grab two 110 lb DBs in each hand. Can be a ***** sometimes because my hands aren't THAT large, but it has been yielding results so i can't complain.

What does your back/bi routine look like, aside from the hyperextensions?

PARKER93
02-15-11, 07:44 PM
DubGee and Odysseus are both idiots, if yall wanna play grab ass with each other do it over messaging. And for the actual question I would do my best to stay away from supplements since you won't have them. But I myself use certain supplements depending on what routine Im doing at the time. Just don't become dependent on them.

Odysseus32
02-15-11, 08:12 PM
DubGee and Odysseus are both idiots, if yall wanna play grab ass with each other do it over messaging. And for the actual question I would do my best to stay away from supplements since you won't have them. But I myself use certain supplements depending on what routine Im doing at the time. Just don't become dependent on them.

Obviously having a little fun and not treating every moment as a life or death situation makes us idiots.

Teach me how to be smart? Please, Parker, please.

DubGee
02-15-11, 08:47 PM
Obviously having a little fun and not treating every moment as a life or death situation makes us idiots.

Teach me how to be smart? Please, Parker, please.

If our brains were as big as our Bi's and tri's, we'd be chilling in space right now man.

And back routine is pretty simple. 3x10-12 shrugs, 3x8-10 lat pulldowns, etc. Then when that warmup is done, I go to 3xMax pull ups with 65lb weight vest, cinderblock shoes, and a full blatter and stomach. Then I find a storm somewhere in the Atlantic and I row for a couple miles, against the wind. Then I finish it off with 3x5 car deadlifts (I welded an olympic bar to the back of my moms chrysler concorde)

Oh and about the dual wielding dumb bells, I had the same problem. But then I got some extra long lifting straps, and then tie the DB's together basically, and use the strap as the grip.

Odysseus32
02-15-11, 09:46 PM
If our brains were as big as our Bi's and tri's, we'd be chilling in space right now man.

And back routine is pretty simple. 3x10-12 shrugs, 3x8-10 lat pulldowns, etc. Then when that warmup is done, I go to 3xMax pull ups with 65lb weight vest, cinderblock shoes, and a full blatter and stomach. Then I find a storm somewhere in the Atlantic and I row for a couple miles, against the wind. Then I finish it off with 3x5 car deadlifts (I welded an olympic bar to the back of my moms chrysler concorde)

Oh and about the dual wielding dumb bells, I had the same problem. But then I got some extra long lifting straps, and then tie the DB's together basically, and use the strap as the grip.

Thx for the suggestion on the grip thing I'll try it out next time.

I row in the pacific sometimes, but there probably is alot more force on the east coast I should try the Atlantic out sometime.

I wanted to try the same thing with my moms F250 but she wouldn't let me. I was gonna do it to my truck instead, but it's a little bitty chevy colorado, so not much of a workout. I guess I will just have to stick to Deadlifting the shed for now. Not much, but it will work.

ImpatientPoolee
02-16-11, 12:45 AM
Just stop.

You guys aren't helping this poolee with his question.

personally man I would suggest getting on some fat-burners, multi-vitamins, and omega3 fish-oil. the fat burners work wonders and will improve everything if you stick to your work-out routing (they have caffeine in them and can really get you up and going- be careful though- you MUST drink 2x the amount of water while on them as they will dehydrate you) the multi-vitamins are hit/miss, I take them because I have gotten use to taking them but they do promote a healthy digestive system, and good framework for energy, appetite, and your vitamins. the fish-oil promotes a healthy heart and increases the amount of oxygen that flows in your bloodstream, great stuff, if you just take one a day you're solid. if you take more than that, well, personally it makes my mouth taste like fish! :)

stay motivated brother.

DubGee
02-16-11, 10:06 AM
Dont waste money on fat burners bro. Considering what they charge for 30tabs nowadays, for what you get, is insane. <br />
<br />
Either go with a preworkout drink if you have intense workouts. Or pop 100mg of...

DGarmo
02-16-11, 10:56 AM
I've taken supplements and a few different kinds of fat burners. I recommend not taking anything. I've even stopped taking protein just because I know I cannot use it in boot camp. Also, the fat burners are for fat bodies looking to LOOK thinner. Belive me, they work, but you will come out more weak than you were before. I started taking OxyElite pro (I think, purple pills) and I dropped about 10-15 pounds but lost about 4 pull ups. It does not affect your body fat by itself, but mostly water weight. Your going to probably have close to the same body fat with less strength. I'm sure it varies from person to person, but I personally do no recommend it.

DubGee
02-16-11, 11:51 AM
I've taken supplements and a few different kinds of fat burners. I recommend not taking anything. I've even stopped taking protein just because I know I cannot use it in boot camp. Also, the fat burners are for fat bodies looking to LOOK thinner. Belive me, they work, but you will come out more weak than you were before. I started taking OxyElite pro (I think, purple pills) and I dropped about 10-15 pounds but lost about 4 pull ups. It does not affect your body fat by itself, but mostly water weight. Your going to probably have close to the same body fat with less strength. I'm sure it varies from person to person, but I personally do no recommend it.

10-15lbs is a noticeable amount of weight. Meaning that youd be able to tell it was off (less love handles, flab, etc) "fat burners" are designed to keep your metabolism rev'd up and utilize fat for energy... But you obviously had a poor diet or too much cardio while you were on it, so it ate your muscle instead of fat. Your supposed to GAIN pull ups when you lose weight. Think about it... Every 5lbs lost is supposed to be 1 pull up gained.

Having 1gr of protein per lb of bodyweight a day will deminish/lessen the amount of muscle burned from supps and cardio. And also aid in the recovery of your muscle.

You can also take L-Glutamine too(5-10g pre and post workout), and that will prevent muscle breakdown - also known as "catabolism"

Odysseus32
02-16-11, 11:54 AM
10-15lbs is a noticeable amount of weight. Meaning that youd be able to tell it was off (less love handles, flab, etc) "fat burners" are designed to keep your metabolism rev'd up and utilize fat for energy... But you obviously had a poor diet or too much cardio while you were on it, so it ate your muscle instead of fat. Your supposed to GAIN pull ups when you lose weight. Think about it... Every 5lbs lost is supposed to be 1 pull up gained.

Having 1gr of protein per lb of bodyweight a day will deminish/lessen the amount of muscle burned from supps and cardio.

+1

I take OEP Plus and have lost about 15 pounds. Gained 3 pull-ups, sometimes get 4 on a good day. OEP plus helps a lot if you have the right diet and training regimen going for you, but it's so damn expensive.

DGarmo
02-16-11, 12:15 PM

Having 1gr of protein per lb of bodyweight a day will deminish/lessen the amount of muscle burned from supps and cardio. And also aid in the recovery of your muscle.

You can also take L-Glutamine too(5-10g pre and post workout), and that will prevent muscle breakdown - also known as "catabolism"

As far as my diet went, it was good. I did the whole eat six smaller meals a day thing, still do it actually. I did do a lot of cardio. I mean A LOT. My goal was to lose weight, and I did.

You are right about the cardio depeleting my muscles with the supplement, my personal trainer at the time told me the same thing. I still recommend not using it but no harm if you do, if your smart with it. I took it expecting to just shed the weight and get stronger, my fault. :P

DubGee
02-16-11, 12:28 PM
As far as my diet went, it was good. I did the whole eat six smaller meals a day thing, still do it actually. I did do a lot of cardio. I mean A LOT. My goal was to lose weight, and I did.

You are right about the cardio depeleting my muscles with the supplement, my personal trainer at the time told me the same thing. I still recommend not using it but no harm if you do, if your smart with it. I took it expecting to just shed the weight and get stronger, my fault. :P

Well it seems youve learned from your mistakes, so thats good haha.

Odysseus32- ya most fat burners are pretty expensive man lol. Ive done something in the past called the EC stack. 25mg Ephedrine + 200mg caffeine. Basically increases your heart rate, so your body is working just while doing normal things. Ive done a couple cycles, and its extremely effective. (You would need "Bronkaid" which is bronchitis medicine, over the counter at a local pharmacy that contains 25mg ephedrine. $15)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECA_stack (dont do aspirin. bad for your stomach, and its proven that its not necessary)

BTW anyone whose reading this: Ive been a 5day/week gym/pt rat since November 2009. Lost 105lbs of fat(75lbs to enlist), gained 30lbs of muscle. I like to know what Im talking about

IHaveEGA843
02-16-11, 08:10 PM
I'm currently on OxyE and I've dropped past my plateau with a 8 lb drop in a week. It does drop the fat off but you have to eat right for it actually work.

2 in the morning 30 min before breakfast then have a steady eating schedule that consists of wheat/bran/fiber, fresh fruit, fresh veggies/salads, and some type of baked/broiled chicken breast/real lean steak/pork chops with all the fat removed and the best of all Salmon/Talapia.

It does work but its just hard because you'll begin to get tired of the routine eating and snack on the bad stuff which doesnt help at all.

Thats my problem and the lack of excersise throughout the week but I plan on getting back into the groove once I beat this cold. 45-1 min of cardio/light lefting is a great work out plan. I use to do 2 hrs with no grain but did tone the hell out of my legs. The lest strenuous work outs have given me the weight lost I've needed and kept the weight off with the REAL STRICT DIET.

I've gained in pull ups so I dont know what you've been doing wrong. The Lat Pulldown/in house pullup bar is your friend.....use them and you'll see a hell of a increase.

kjohnson8824
02-16-11, 10:16 PM
dude get MUSCLE MILK, its good for you, has all the good stuff like vitamins, iron carbs, protien and alot more, stay away from all the crazy supplements you will LOSE muscle at recruit training if you build it up on creatine and all those other crazy supplements just stay natural.

DubGee
02-16-11, 10:49 PM
dude get MUSCLE MILK, its good for you, has all the good stuff like vitamins, iron carbs, protien and alot more, stay away from all the crazy supplements you will LOSE muscle at recruit training if you build it up on creatine and all those other crazy supplements just stay natural.

MM has too much fat broski. 16g. Fat slows protein from getting to your muscles. So post workout MM wouldnt be a good idea...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

1.5g fat. 3g carbs. 24g protein. Great taste and price.

kjohnson8824
02-17-11, 09:53 AM
Well actually it has 12 grams of Fat and 32 grams of protien, And i have been doing Muscle Milk for 6-7 months now and Ive gotten great results.

IHaveEGA843
02-17-11, 12:09 PM
CHANGE YOUR DIET TO INCLUDE LEAN PROTIEN AND FRESH FRUIT/VEGGIES PLUS SOME GOOD VIATMINS!!!!!

It works

USMC Infantry
02-17-11, 12:10 PM
i can do it without doing it. I just blew your minndd..

cjredneck500
02-17-11, 08:07 PM
swimming helped me with the running and cardio alot. while you swim you dont get as much oxygen or time to breath and your workin everything so once you get out and only use your legs and breath faster, its not as hard

Jeff Ferraro
02-17-11, 10:38 PM
ITS NOT POSSIBLE lol

ZoooMie
02-18-11, 09:54 AM
If your still looking for a supplement, i would recommend Jack3ed. It gives you so much energy and endurance and your always motivated. Definitely the best supplement ive taken. Its also cheap to!

DubGee
02-18-11, 10:46 AM
If your still looking for a supplement, i would recommend Jack3ed. It gives you so much energy and endurance and your always motivated. Definitely the best supplement ive taken. Its also cheap to!

I take that, along with my recruiters haha. They love it.

I combine it with ON amin.o energy. Its intense.

holey336
02-21-11, 04:39 PM
theres also this supplement called cordyceps which comes from some type of mushroom, its supposed to increase the amount of oxygen in your bloodstream, didn't really seem to work too much for me but I've heard its done wonders for other guys

calebh180
02-21-11, 05:58 PM
theres also this supplement called cordyceps which comes from some type of mushroom, its supposed to increase the amount of oxygen in your bloodstream, didn't really seem to work too much for me but I've heard its done wonders for other guys
Ha, that sounds like something a hippie made up

IHaveEGA843
02-22-11, 03:16 PM
OxyElite is where it is at. I was sick all last week and didn't workout at all. Stayed on my diet *kinda* and still lost like 2 lbs.

A good diet/a good couple workouts during the week/OxyE with other viatimins is a good way to drop weight especially when you plataue.

shadox
02-23-11, 09:24 AM
I'm gonna have to give this oxyelite a try, sounds legit from what you guys are saying.

ImpatientPoolee
02-23-11, 04:33 PM
It's the bees-kneees brotha! Expensive, but highly..highly effective.

IHaveEGA843
02-23-11, 04:49 PM
Hopefully I'll be at my shipping weight and be able to ship within the next few weeks!

Ready to go to Recruit Training and get that experience plus I'd like to get it done during the Spring......I dread the heat and humidity of SC during the summer and I've been in it since I was born.....Regardless of "black flag days" you still have to go to chow and stuff. You'll need gills to survive the humidty of Parris Island.