PDA

View Full Version : Trouble getting family to unbegrudgingly support

MunkyVsRobot
02-13-11, 09:26 PM
Hello Marines I am having a dilemma of sorts at the moment. What I am trying to do is to get my family to support my joining the Marines willingly.

If you check my profile I am 26 and I can make the decision myself and I am making the decision and my family said they will support me no matter what I do but they dont seem to want to.

They keep telling me that by joining the Marines I'm pretty much just joining to be Infantry and will be Infantry (I am looking to go Intel hopefully 0231..) for some reason thats all they think the Marines are is Infantry. They're telling me that once I sign that contract the gov't/Marines can do with me as they see fit.

I've explained to them Im trying to go Intel or even Combat Support when I go there something that isn't going to be on a 2 way firing range, I even explained to them you sign a specific contract for the exact MOS field you are trying to get into and you can't even ship to boot without an MOS. But they seem to think that I'm still just going to be Infantry.

One of their friends is a former Marine and they claim he told them when I join thats all I'm going to be. I don't get how I can explain to them anymore that thats not all the Corps is, is just Infantry. I would honestly think that a former Marine would understand for the most part how the Corps works.

They are trying to convince me to check out the Air Force or Navy I've explained to them that I'm looking for a challenge and I am also looking for something that not everyone can do. There is a reason they say the few and the proud.

Any of you Marines have any assistance you can give me?

AjC
02-13-11, 09:40 PM
You can show them this website to give them more information on the Intel field, and what you would be doing were you to sign an Intel Contract: http://hqinet001.hqmc.usmc.mil/dirint/Formal_Schools/schools_MOS.html

When you sign an Intel Contract, you're signing for any 02xx/26xx job, not specifically 0231 or anything like that. What the Marine Corps can do is assign you any job within the field you've signed up for. They cannot, however, throw out your Intel Contract, and hand you a Combat Engineer job, or a Machine Gunner job. Besides, they wouldn't. The background check the government has to do on you for you to get an Intel job costs around $120,000. They're not about to spend that much getting you a security clearance, and make you a combat cook.

Old Marine
02-13-11, 09:47 PM
Being that you are 26 you can do what ever you want to do. Once you graduate from Boot Camp your family will come around. Lots of Luck to you and the family.

SSgt Lamie
02-14-11, 07:36 AM
Sometimes trying to explain things in words can be very difficult. If you can show your family in black and white the SOU for the specific job that you are wanting to enlist into they may be more understanding. Speak with your Recruiter about getting with one of these. Also speak with him about setting up a time to sit down with your family and speak with them about you enlisting into the Marine Corps.

Tennessee Top
02-14-11, 07:55 AM
Obviously, your family thinks you have been brainwashed and are not going to accept your viewpoints. You alone will not convince them of anything.

How about just letting them believe whatever they want to believe. Then, after you finish MOS school and get assigned to your permanent duty station in an intelligence billet you can say "see, told ya so".

DrZ
02-14-11, 08:10 AM
Family support is a great thing to have but if you can't get it...so be it. If you want to be a Marine then do so. When you get back from boot and the parental units see the change in you... the man you have become...they will change their tune and you will get your support.

I suggest you follow SSgt Lamie's suggestion because what was said was solid. Get your recruiter to explain the MOS to them.

Good luck with whatever happens.

03Mike
02-14-11, 08:28 AM
They are trying to convince me to check out the Air Force or Navy...

I would encourage you to do the same -- I'm not saying that you shouldn't enlist in the Marine Corps. I'm saying that what they are asking makes sense, and out of respect I would recommend that you look into what the other services are offering. Even if your mind is made up (which it sounds like it is) then you have nothing to lose by looking at the other services.

Chances are, your family is concerned that you are making this decision lightly and that you may have not done all of your research. So, do the research, check out the other branches and pick the one that best fits you. Chances are, you already know the answer (that's why you are on this board seeking advice), but making the effort will do a lot to ease your family's concerns.

I would also advise you to follow SSgt Lamie's advice as well.

In the end, it's your choice and your life - but full family support helps.

MunkyVsRobot
02-14-11, 11:38 AM
Thank you Marines for your assistance. I just can't understand why they can not comprehend what I am saying. I have explained to them that Infantry is a volunteer MOS they are all volunteer based I believe if I am incorrect please someone correct me. ( Besides I guess if you get DQ because of vision or terrible ASVAB scores)

I have also explained there is an over flow of people trying to do Infantry so I shouldn't have a problem getting a Combat Support MOS. Also as i said in the OP that they have specific contracts but that doesnt seem to sink in with them. I believe the Gov't is still held to their contracts especially seeing as for intel the background check isnt cheap.

Another confusing thing is their friend who is a veteran Marine, I would assume he would know how the whole system worked and could explain it to them. Apparently not. I am going to have to speak with my recruiter though about that SOU wasant aware there was something like that, that existed.

DrZ
02-14-11, 12:18 PM
Another confusing thing is their friend who is a veteran Marine, I would assume he would know how the whole system worked and could explain it to them. Apparently not. I am going to have to speak with my recruiter though about that SOU wasant aware there was something like that, that existed.

Just because you are in the Marines does NOT mean you have any idea how things work. I have a friend who retired a year ago with 32 years in and is a Mustang Lt Bird Colonel. He told me he now wishes he could have stayed in just a while longer to figure out how things work. If a 32 year Lt Bird who was enlisted for 6 of those years prior to his commission can't figure it out.... it does not amaze me that your friend cannot understand the inner workings of the Corps.

The Marines fill needed slots out of a pool of recruits who show an aptitude for this or that. If you have the scores to get a broad selection, you can choose anything from an 03xx to whatever.

Drag the family to the recruiter or the recruiter to the family. Sit down with them for a calm and rational discussion of everything. Do what your parents ask concerning visiting the recruiters for all the branches. If you still want to go Marines... call the family together one more time and tell them you have made your decision to join the Marines and while you don't require their support.... you know your decision and your time in boot will be easier with it.

Again... Good luck to you.

lonewolf121
02-14-11, 12:48 PM
I've explained to them Im trying to go Intel or even Combat Support when I go there something that isn't going to be on a 2 way firing range, I even explained to them you sign a specific contract for the exact MOS field you are trying to get into and you can't even ship to boot without an MOS. But they seem to think that I'm still just going to be Infantry.

One of their friends is a former Marine and they claim he told them when I join thats all I'm going to be. I don't get how I can explain to them anymore that thats not all the Corps is, is just Infantry. I would honestly think that a former Marine would understand for the most part how the Corps works.

They are trying to convince me to check out the Air Force or Navy I've explained to them that I'm looking for a challenge and I am also looking for something that not everyone can do. There is a reason they say the few and the proud.

Any of you Marines have any assistance you can give me?

Your family sounds like mine. They supported my decision; but they were pretty worried. They said the same thing, "Once they get you they can do with you what they want." If that were true then guaranteed MOS enlistments would have failed gaining poolies a long time ago.

Howeverif you join the Marines you are going to be infantry...sort of. ALL Marines are riflemen first and everything else second. Here's how it works. You go to boot camp, graduate and go on 10 days leave; then go back for MCT training. Marine Combat Training is half as long as Infantry School and is basically everything you need to know, in a nutshell, about being an Infantryman. Then you get shipped on to your MOS school; which is designed to support the Infantry.

Ask your family friend if he knows about this site.

The only thing about the Air Force seems to be that a lot of their MOS training can be used out in the civilian world. So when you get out it's not terribly hard to find a good job.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-14-11, 11:14 PM
Good answer. Closed.