PDA

View Full Version : trouble explaining why

MikeW53
02-13-11, 08:55 PM
I am 18 and am determined to become a Marine. Everyone is questioning me why but honestly i dont think i can explain it to anyone that doesn't already understand why. As far as i can tell if an individual understands that life is about more than money and easy living then wouldn't The Marine Corps be the only choice? I know i can get "more" from other branches as far as any non-Marine is concerned, but wont i always look back and regret not becoming a Marine? But when some one asks me why i would choose the Corps over a free ride to college, partying and being what as far as i am concerned a child, i have incredibly hard time explaining myself because they don't already understand. Anyone have a i won't say an answer because their really is not one, but advice?

Tennessee Top
02-13-11, 09:08 PM
Yeah...I is capitalized.

You don't need to explain anything to anybody and they wouldn't get it anyway so don't waste your time...simple! Don't make things more difficult than necessary.

Now, anything else you need help with?

advanced
02-14-11, 05:12 AM
Within the Marine Corps there is an old saying;

"From the outside you can not understand it; from the inside I can not explain it."

SSgt Lamie
02-14-11, 07:22 AM
When someone ask you why, ask them the same questions that you just asked of us. You already bring up valid points and if someone can't understand your feelings from these points then you will have a hard time explaining to them.

I know when you are coming from because many people are often questioned about their decision to enlist into the Marine Corps. It is a common occurance so don't stress it. People will call you stupid, and say you are throwing your life away, but that is because they truly don't understand what the Marine Corps is or what we do.

If you have any issues in how to explain your decision to anyone speak with your Recruiter and he should be able to guide you down the correct path.

DrZ
02-14-11, 07:45 AM
Make the choice you want to make and ignore attempting to appease others. If in your heart, you want to be a Marine...the become one. If you feel you must make others happy with explanations and such...perhaps you are not ready yet.

If you need to tell them anything...tell them about the honor...the traditions...the loyalty...the Espirit de Corps...and the history of the Marine Corps. If they still don't understand...then don't worry about them and live your life as you see fit.

Good luck with whatever happens.

MikeW53
02-14-11, 09:43 AM
As far as appeasing all the random people I am not too concerned, more just my immediate family that actually deserve an answer. I appreciate all the responses guys. I don't have any more questions but I probably will between now and the time I am eligible to sign in April and will make sure to ask again.

DrMarine21
02-14-11, 10:34 AM
Well, if they don't understand, why do they want to know? Everyone has their own reasons.

SGT7477
02-14-11, 11:32 AM
Everybody has thought at one time or another of being a Marine too bad some will never know, Semper Fidelis.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-14-11, 11:13 PM
This topic has been covered several times here believe it or not. Sometimes to the point of 'over and over'. Run a search for 'why' or "Explaining why", that might bring up some good stuff for you.

MikeW53
02-14-11, 11:42 PM
Thank you.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-14-11, 11:49 PM
There is even an active thread about this very thing. Believe it or not, we get one or two of these a month.

Take comfort in the fact that mothers the world over have asked this question of their sons since man first started slinging rocks at one another. Young men have YET to find an easy way to explain why they are doing it.

Even in times of great patriotism...