PDA

View Full Version : Stick fighting offers new twist on martial arts

thedrifter
10-09-03, 05:56 AM
Stick fighting offers new twist on martial arts
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification Number: 200310861030
Story by Cpl. Ryan D. Libbert

CAMP HANSEN, Okinawa, Japan (Oct. 03, 2003) -- Late in the evenings on Mondays and Wednesdays here, one can hear the clashing of thick wooden sticks coming from the House of Pain Gym. This sound is from an exciting class offered there titled Filipino Stick Fighting.

The class is ran by Romy S. Ansotigue, a Filipino stick-fighting instructor of 28 years. The prior Sailor has taught the class on Okinawa for the past two and half years.

"I have taught almost 100 students during my time here on both Hansen and (Marine Corps Air Station) Futenma," Ansotigue said. "It involves real-time fighting and reaction, I expect the students to get hurt a bit during the class so they won't get hurt in real-life situations."

The martial art involves offensive and disarming techniques using 25-inch rattan sticks. The art also features ways to defend against knife attacks and how to perform manipulative takedowns.

Although the date of its origin is unknown, Filipino Stick Fighting has been evident in Filipino history before the conquerors of Spain dominated the island nation in the 1500's.

The early form of the martial art was refined through the centuries when sea trade routes opened to other neighboring countries like China, Mongolia and Japan. By sharing their different styles of martial arts with one another, Filipino stick fighting became the art form it is today.

"Some of the old tribes in the Philippines used this martial art as a friendly competition between the tribes," Ansotigue explained. "When conquerors came to the country, the tribes came together and used the art to drive most of them away. The most notable is Magellan who died in the Philippines in 1521."

Though it may be one of the more unfamiliar martial arts, Filipino stick fighting's influence can be found in other cultural activities such as the hula dance of Hawaii and the Taiko drum performance of Okinawa.

The students learning from Ansotigue at Camp Hansen have enjoyed their time under his tutelage, according to Anthony S. Caliri, Filipino, a stick-fighting student.

"I signed up for the class because I thought it'd be cool, it's turned out to be everything I expected," the Phoenix native said. "It's a good workout for the forearms--I plan to take it as far as I can go with it."

Ansotigue plans to continue his classes on Camp Hansen as long as he can. The Philippines native stated he would like to see more females in the course because he has concerns over the female population's ability to defend themselves adequately against violent crime.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200310861736/$file/STICKFIGHTING-1low.jpg

Romy S. Ansotigue, Filipino Stick Fighting instructor, shows his student, Anthony S. Caliri, how to unarm an attacker during one of his classes. Ansotigue has taught Filipino Stick Fighting to almost 100 students during his two and a half years on Okinawa.
Photo by: Cpl. Ryan D. Libbert

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200310862047/$file/STICKFIGHTING-2low.jpg

Romy S. Ansotigue, Filipino Stick Fighting instructor, teaches Anthony S. Caliri some of the fundamentals of un-armed manipulations. The Filipino Stick Fighting class given at Camp Hansen?s House of Pain Gym teaches students how to attack and defend themselves using sticks and other weapons of opportunity.
Photo by: Cpl. Ryan D. Libbert

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/9BD4B8C624E2ED1185256DB90037E4F5?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: