PDA

View Full Version : A Civil War Wall

Bruce59
02-12-11, 07:35 PM
I read an interview with Jan Scruggs the man who had the idea for the
Vietnam wall, that America's most costly war in lives lost was the Civil
war, some 620,000 Americans died. And if we had a wall like the Vietnam
wall for the Civil war, the wall would be a mile long.
So if we could have a wall, and lets say that money was no object, how
would you have it layed out. Just like the Vietnam wall.
Or Union on one side and Confederate on the other. Just all the names or names and units ect.

I've been to the Vietnam wall more then once, and all of the names just over takes my mind everytime I see it. I just can't rap my mind around a
wall with 620,000 names on it.

slug
02-12-11, 07:41 PM
Make it a half mile long, union names on one side, confederates on the other. Our federal government may have forced the country to unify, but it is not so lets not pretend and keep the line there.

sparkie
02-12-11, 07:59 PM
It deserves a changeup. Let the North face North, and let the South face South. Cast in bronze would be a good flavor, and remember the war didn't end. We will always have to fight for states rights. [and I'm from the north]

USNAviator
02-12-11, 08:15 PM
It deserves a changeup. Let the North face North, and let the South face South. Cast in bronze would be a good flavor, and remember the war didn't end. We will always have to fight for states rights. [and I'm from the north]

There was no such thing as a Civil War...it was a war between the States....lol.. And Slug I like your idea, just as long as the Southern side can rise up now and then because that's the only way it will happen. :thumbup:

sparkie
02-12-11, 08:21 PM
I believe every state should be able to rise up and tell the feds to sit on it and spin. Just my opinion. In this case I really believe in bronze castings. The metal of judgement. Let right be right.

radio relay
02-13-11, 08:48 AM
The Wall (aka The Vietnam Veterans' Memorial), is impressive. I've been there on two occasions. It always gets to me for various personal reasons. I hope all Vietnam Veterans can visit at least once before they pass on.

It's a funny thing about memorials to wars. The primary reason it took so long for a WWII memorial to be built, was that the Iwo Jima Memorial (now the Marine Corps Memorial) was thought to fill that role. However, over time, Marines kind of claimed ownership, and those that served in other branches never did really claim it.

FYI, it's not given much attention, but there is a national Civil War Memorial. It's right below the Capitol building, at the top of the National Mall. It's pretty impressive, but not as much as those of other wars.

The new Civil War Memorial witll look like this:

http://www.nationalcwmemorial.org/images/ncwm/lrgperspective.gif
http://www.nationalcwmemorial.org/

slug
02-13-11, 11:10 AM
god that looks gay. what is with this current fascination with circles in monuments?

make it a solid wall, straight as hell, blocked, sharp corners, thick and strong. and if we must satisfy those who feel we are past this separation, then sink the wall into the ground leaving the top in line with ground level. then they will consider it a separation defeated, and i'll consider it a wall down the trenchline.

i just hope they don't add any slavery crap to this memorial. anyone in their right mind knows dam well that the war had absolutely nothing to do with slavery and lincoln (the tyrannical dictator of a president he was) had no intention of freeing slaves anywhere, as slaves were still in the north long after the war ended.

ShannonL
02-13-11, 11:45 PM
It is not the construction that one must dwell on, but the respect the wall must show. Many lives lost, civilian and Military. It was Americas weakest time. With a country in chaos, killing itself. An external King or General could have attacked brought it to its knees. The wall must teach the future of the past. For if a Civil War began again...America will be destroyed by external parties. The wall must teach all of the mistakes of the past. The threat of it losing itself.

The Lord said: "A house divided cannot stand."