PDA

View Full Version : The Solution for Iraq?

thedrifter
10-09-03, 05:49 AM
The Solution for Iraq?

Dear Hack,

As a former grunt NCO who made "About Face" required reading for his squads (and a platoon of worthless ROTC cadets), I would be very interested to read your thoughts on how we should be fighting the war in Afghanistan today. As you well know the tradition bound US Army has never seriously addressed --indeed even discouraged -- the study of tactics for fighting a guerilla or "low intensity" war in its regular units..

Based on my experience as a lightfighter from '85 - '92, I am inclined to think the Army needs to identify some key cadre with time in Iraq, bring them home and then build a specially trained and dedicated Division just to fight in Iraq. The cadre should have free reign to "write the book" on the TOE and tactics they would use to fight in Afghanistan. Ideally this Division would be integrated 1-1 with Iraqi counterparts who would also train here as part of the same unit and then deploy to Iraq with a whole new bag of tricks to ruin the bad guy's day and shut them down for good. I am inclined to think such an integrated unit should be commanded by a career SF officer with many leadership positions occupied by SF officers and senior NCOs as I don't think the necessary creativity and BALLS exists in the Regular Army. The Iraqi members of this unit would also be an excellent foundation upon which to build a professional Iraqi Army.

From guys I have had contact with who are in country I hear some familiar complaints: "We're too heavy.", "we're not adapting to their tactics fast enough", "We were never trained for this" and "The Brass just don't get it".

Thank you for your service to this country and to the soldiers we both love.

Mike Lacy

http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=Special%20Reports.db&command=viewone&op=t&id=34&rnd=424.1289762298301

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Super Dave
10-09-03, 01:31 PM
The solution....
Make the whole country a parking lot and put a Super Wal-Mart in the middle...end of story!

Sgt Sostand
10-09-03, 03:03 PM
Wal-mart that to good make it a K-mart hehehe

marine5
10-09-03, 05:58 PM
Yeah but you have to have at least one...Gas Station...
You are forgetting about the "OIL"...its always about the oil...
Big Business and Oil...