PDA

View Full Version : No more hiking

Taviah
02-12-11, 10:47 AM
I went up a crazy mountain and on the way down a cliff I almost died. I was running down a crack that suddenly stopped and got slick. ended up holding on to a root over the edge of a few hundred foot drop. Messed up my knee a bit so was unable to make it to a Poole function today. My recruiter told me I am not allowed to go hiking anymore, which sucks since nothing turns your arms and legs to jelly quite like climbing sand hills and scaling sandstone.

IHaveEGA843
02-12-11, 08:09 PM
Sucks bro but I'd find it a big benefit since you'll be doing humps when you go to RT. Rest up, heal, and get back to the PT'ing because from you ship date in your sig you're shipping out soon!

Jerubbaal
02-13-11, 01:24 AM
It sucks to give up some things you love, but I've had to do the same thing with longboarding. As much as I enjoy skating down big hills, it's just too much to risk my future career over.

Just remember that as much as it may suck to give up hiking, better to make it into the Marines in one piece than to be DQed because you got seriously injured.

Taviah
02-13-11, 01:59 AM
Yeah I know. I am going to listen to my recruiter and not go hiking. The only things in life I want is to be the best I can be(Marines) and to find my love....the second part seems more difficult.

Nj St Of Mind
02-13-11, 10:35 AM
Imo you shouldnt be hiking in the first place, you should focus more on your IST. A little over a month from now and you'll be shipping out. If it was my recruiter I still would have been convinced/forced to go to the Pool funct.

But yea, just be thankful your allowed to tell that story and it should just give you more moto to perfect your IST.

Taviah
02-13-11, 11:36 AM
I live at 5000 feet. Extra elevation training from climbing mountains definitely could help me when I am near sea level in boot camp. Oh my recruiter was ****ed. Not because I couldn't go but because I injured myself the day before the function and didn't tell him that night. My ride also fell through since I live 60 miles from the RS I couldn't have made it in time to even just be there.

My knee is a little better, I am still easing on the long distance running for a bit mostly just doing pull ups all day.

kjohnson8824
02-13-11, 04:22 PM
Yeah I know. I am going to listen to my recruiter and not go hiking. The only things in life I want is to be the best I can be(Marines) and to find my love....the second part seems more difficult.
Really? How about you just focus on the first part. Your signing up for the Marines so cowboy up. Your what 18 19 years old? The last thing you should be worried about is Mary Jane rotched crotch. So get ready to pound sand and put in some hardwork.

Taviah
02-13-11, 04:40 PM
Marines now, 4 years from now I'll work on the other part of being a complete man.