PDA

View Full Version : Reservist Questions

FutureMarine132
02-11-11, 01:06 PM
When you want to go to active duty from the reserves and ask your chain of command are they typically understanding on transitions? I heard the Marines and Navy are not accepting any priors and wouldn't you be considered a prior if you enlisted as a reservists already? Also wanted to know if you enlist as a reservist and choose your MOS say as a crew chief on the UH-1 will you still keep that same MOS if they allow you to go active duty or is it a whole new contract. How would the G.I. Bill work if you switch to AD two years in. I got accepted to UCLA so i've been really thinking about what route I want to take.. officer route just doesn't seem to fit me. Thanks

JarHead8412
02-14-11, 01:40 PM
First of all, to go Reserves to Active Duty can be a lengthy process. Your Chain of Command would have to sign a DD-Form 368 to release you from the Reserve unit IOT go AD. I can't speak for the Navy; however, the Corps is accepting Prior Service, just a limited amount.

Typically, when you enlist as a Reservist you get specifically what you chose, when you put in to go AD, you keep that job. If it is not available, then you may be required to lateral move IOT to go AD.

Active Duty GI Bill is a lot better than the Reserve MGIBILL.

Hope this helps you out! Any other info you may need, just let me know.

thediesel713
02-14-11, 08:19 PM
There are no reserve "skid" units in cali either so you will have to go AD if thats what you want.

josephd
02-14-11, 11:27 PM
If you want active duty, then go active duty. I have been through the process of switching from reserve to active twice now only to be denied from the AD side.

Understand that just because your coc with the reserves signs your dd-368 to let you go doesnt mean you'll go active. The paper releases you and gives you a window of opportunity to get recontracted to active duty. If you cant get it done in that time you are in the reserves still and need to submit another form if you want to keep trying.

With the Marine Corps downsizing soon I don't see them allowing Marines to switch over to AD, especially considering it probably wouldn't happen now