PDA

View Full Version : Getting Stationed in Germany

Languagelover23
02-10-11, 03:44 PM
Hello again Marines, quick question.

I know that many Marines get stationed in Okinawa when sent overseas, but I was wondering if Marines get stationed in Germany? That might seem like an odd question, but I'm genuinely curious. If Marines do get stationed in Germany, then what city, what base(s), and what types of MOS's get sent there for their PDS?

03Mike
02-10-11, 03:51 PM
There are no Marine bases in Germany. Not to say that there aren't Marines stationed in Germany (at the embassy or on joint duty assignments). But generally, don't bet on being assigned to Germany like the Army is.

Languagelover23
02-10-11, 04:34 PM
There are no Marine bases in Germany. Not to say that there aren't Marines stationed in Germany (at the embassy or on joint duty assignments). But generally, don't bet on being assigned to Germany like the Army is.

That's what I thought. I still wonder what MOS has a shot at being sent there. The reason is because my spouse is a German/Pre-med major here at LSU and it would be cool if I could fulfill my duties in the Corps and also allow him the chance to study in Germany. I was just wondering if it was at all possible to pull off.

Quinbo
02-10-11, 05:02 PM
When I was in Stuttgart I saw quite a few Marines. I knew a top that was supply and a two gunnys that were comm. Odds are against you getting sent there but it is possible.

Old Marine
02-10-11, 05:16 PM
Want to go to Germany. Should have joined Army or Air Force.

Languagelover23
02-10-11, 05:22 PM
Want to go to Germany. Should have joined Army or Air Force.

Well sir, my desire to be a Marine trumps my desire to get stationed in Germany any day : ))

Quinbo
02-10-11, 05:23 PM
When I went to belleau wood for memorial day half the mar det MSG from paris was there there.

Languagelover23
02-10-11, 05:24 PM
When I went to belleau wood for memorial day half the mar det MSG from paris was there there.

"mar det MSG:

Sorry Marine, you're speaking Greek to this poolee. Care to clarify?

Quinbo
02-10-11, 05:26 PM
"mar det MSG:

Sorry Marine, you're speaking Greek to this poolee. Care to clarify?
Google is your friend :p

Languagelover23
02-10-11, 05:29 PM
Google is your friend :p

Haha thanks!

Old Marine
02-10-11, 06:12 PM
Probably the best thing for a young poolee to be thing about is making it through Recruit Training and earning the EGA.

All the other things will fall into place, if the Marine Corps decides for things to fall into place.

Phantom Blooper
02-10-11, 06:18 PM
I know nothing, I hear nothing, I see nothing.... Sgt. Shultz

Sgt Leprechaun
02-10-11, 08:01 PM
Germany is possible, moreso nowadays, but still a difficult location to get.

Tennessee Top
02-10-11, 09:38 PM
mar det MSG = Marine Security Guard detachment (those are the embassy Marines in Paris). Marines are assigned to guard our diplomatic posts, consulates, and legations abroad. There is a "memorandum of understanding" between the USMC and the Department of State (DOS) regarding the Marines on the Marine Security Guard (MSG) program. This program is different from the Marine Security Forces who guard nuclear assets.

Besides the embassy Marines in Germany, the MSG battalion has a company office located in Frankfurt but they wouldn't rate any linguists there.

BTW: Women Marines do serve on embassy duty but they can't be married unless they're a Staff NCO.

Quinbo
02-11-11, 02:07 AM
Here is one of the pictures I took at belleau wood. Note the WM at the bottem of the picture. She had squatted down so the fountain could be included. So there are WM's stationed in Europe. 3 years over there and I only met 3 WM's so it is a long shot for sure.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy144/bulkyker/Fountain.jpg

Quinbo
02-11-11, 02:15 AM
Another from the the memorial display ceremony at belleau wood. The silent drill platoon. My sons baseball coach in Germany was an active duty Gunny. One of our closest friends over there was an air force linguist.

I might could ask him if he met any Marine linguists over there. We're still in touch.

Anyway on to the picture.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy144/bulkyker/silentdrill.jpg

Languagelover23
02-11-11, 10:26 AM
Wow nice pictures! Thanks : )

devilbones2
02-11-11, 04:09 PM
There is an entire MARFOREUR that is in Stuttgart, Germany. There is also an AFRICOM Marine Detachment. You can also be assigned to EUCOM. I dont know how you can get there but I know plenty of Marines that are in Germany.