PDA

View Full Version : Options after disqualification

usmcdjcs1ssy
02-10-11, 02:45 PM
Hello Marines,
I am back with another question regarding my disqulaification because of Alopecia Areata. I am still waiting to see if my waiver will come thru however I am trying to figure out my next step if my waiver is denied. So with that I have a question for you Marines.

I want to be a Marine more than anything, so if my waiver is denied. Can I go to college get a degree and in a few years re-try to get into the Marine Corps once my physical is expired? The reason I ask this is the condition I have Alopecia Areata usually gets better in your early twenties. I have personnally seen this happen in several people.

If my Alopecia gets better can I attempt to enlist again or once your disqualified theres not other options.

I dont want to give up my fight to be a Marine and I know some of you Marines may think I'm jumping the gun. But I need to have a plan for the next couple of years if the Corps doesn't allow me in right now, and want to know if there is other options.

Thank You in advance to all the Marines that take the time to read my long post and for your responses.

I have tried contacting my recruiter however have been unable to reach him and would like to know!!!

03Mike
02-10-11, 03:58 PM
My understanding is that the application for enlistment asks if you've ever been denied enlistment for any reason. You'd have to address it there. Would it be an issue? I don't know. I guess that depends on physical / medical conditions. But you won't be able to enlist and "forget to mention it."

usmcdjcs1ssy
02-10-11, 04:22 PM
Yes Sir, I understand that but I didn't know if the condition is better if they will reevaluate my medical condition. Thanks Again

JarHead8412
02-14-11, 01:52 PM
According to MEPS, once you are PDQ, you are done. No exceptions, notta. If your waiver is denied, I recommend college and start a life as a civilian. I am not trying to be harsh, just realistic. Good luck.

DrZ
02-14-11, 02:26 PM
Destiny,
Personally, I would go to university. At this point no one knows if the glut of recruits will still be there when you finish university. Go to school and get your degree. Attempt to enlist then. Be honest and tell them exactly why the denial was made the first time. Another plus is with your degree, you could also apply to become an Officer of Marines.

Never give up...if you do then you really are not Marine material.

Good luck lady and keep us up to date.

JarHead8412
02-14-11, 02:34 PM
One of the things I hate most if giving someone false hope. If you notice the number after JarHead it is 8412, that means Career Recruiter. I have been doing this job for a long time. PDQ is PDQ, no Enlisted Marine, no Navy, no ARMY, no Air Force, No Officer, NOTHING.

Now, back to what I said, if your waiver is approved then good, if it doesn't get approved follow my guidance. You can try to talk to any recruiter at anytime if you become PDQ, all they will do is look up your social in MCRISS and see that you are PDQ and will tell you that they can't help you.

Quinbo
02-14-11, 02:40 PM
I honostly can not understand where a condition that causes you to be devoid of body hair would preclude you from joining the military. It is not contagious. It does not affect your over all well being. There has to be some mitigating or other reasons why you were denied enlistment.

Best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do.

DrZ
02-14-11, 02:46 PM
One of the things I hate most if giving someone false hope. If you notice the number after JarHead it is 8412, that means Career Recruiter. I have been doing this job for a long time. PDQ is PDQ, no Enlisted Marine, no Navy, no ARMY, no Air Force, No Officer, NOTHING.

Now, back to what I said, if your waiver is approved then good, if it doesn't get approved follow my guidance. You can try to talk to any recruiter at anytime if you become PDQ, all they will do is look up your social in MCRISS and see that you are PDQ and will tell you that they can't help you.

Perhaps you should look at the Erratum to MCO P1100-75C dated 5 Mar 2004, which states in section 8-5 :

8-5. Medical reexamination
An applicant found previously qualified for military service will undergo a complete medical
examination prior to enlistment, induction or appointment (commissioning) if more
than 24 months have elapsed since the last complete examination was accomplished.
The date of the last examination is the date shown in block 6 of SF FORM 88 (Report of
Medical Examination). Applicants appearing for reexamination because of previous disqualification for a remedial or temporary medical condition will undergo a physical inspection if the previous examination was conducted within 2 years. The physical inspection will place emphasis on the previously disqualifying defect. The MEPS commander
may, in consultation with the chief medical officer (CMO), authorize medical reexamination
when findings reflected on a previous SF FORM 88 (Report of Medical Examination)
and/or SF FORM 93 (Statement of Medical History) are inconsistent or in conflict with
findings noted during the physical inspections. Usually, however, the original examination
can simply be amended to reflect the corrected medical history or the current physical
findings.

Now I realize I am not a MD nor a recruiter but I certainly can read what is stated in a MCO and that does leave some latitude.

jp2usmc
02-14-11, 02:46 PM
An Idea: You might want to see about withdrawing your enlistment before the waiver results come through then try again later. If you've never been denied, you won't have to face that hurtle.

usmcdjcs1ssy
02-14-11, 03:46 PM
Thank You so Much Marines for all of your advice. I was cleared medically for everything except for having Alopecia Areata, I have no criminal problems not even a ticket. I am in great physical condition and have never been affected mentally or physically by this condition.

I will never give up, my condition is supposed to get better within a couple of years and at that point I will try again. The worsed they can do is tell me no again, but I couldn't live with myself if I didn't do absolutely everything in my power to become a Marine.

I know that several of you Marines said that if you have been PDQ there is nothing you can do at that point, but I'm dumb-foudned as to why hair loss keeps you out of the military.

Thanks Again to all of the Marines that took the time to reply to my post.

My recruiter said I should here about my waiver within the next month or two as it has already been one month!!!

Sgt Leprechaun
02-14-11, 11:16 PM
That timeline is about typical. KEEP us updated and informed. Closing this one for now. Feel free to PM me with updates and I'll open it back up.

The Recruiters here have given some helpful advice.