PDA

View Full Version : Looking to improve pullups and need some advice from, Marines.

irpwns
02-09-11, 07:31 PM
I'm looking to increase my pull ups/chin ups. I've read the best way to improve reps is to just do them.

1. Would back extensions help improve pullups/chinups?

2. (I've read a few different things) Which would be the best way to improve reps? A set pullup workout where you do aprox 5 sets OR attempt to do them all day and eventually reach 100 or so?

3. Everyday? or Every other day?

I'd really appreciate your input Marines.

Brian1215
02-09-11, 08:37 PM
one thing that will help is forced reps, maybe u can only do 15 but obvioulsy ur goal is 20reps, u need to do as many as u can and the without stopping have sombody else assist you with the rest.. less and less each time and u will notice that u wont need a spot as often

GunRock0811
02-09-11, 10:35 PM
I've done pyramids, which helped me alot. I started with five. For example do one pull up, take a very short break, then do two, short break, then 3 and so on. Once you get to five, do another five and go back down to one. I eventually made it up ten.

Once I could to 12-15 pull ups with ease I started wearing one of those belts you could attach weight to. Doing them with an extra 10lbs for a few weeks makes a huge difference. When 10lbs gets to easy, increase the weight.

Just doing a max set of pull ups whenever you have the chance also helps as well. You can also try changing how far apart you keep your hands. One day do shoulder width apart. The next time do wide grip or close grip. This will work and strengthen different parts of your muscles.

After a solid few months a doing things like this I was doing well over 20 pull ups. Its all about how hard you push yourself.

03Mike
02-10-11, 08:04 AM
The ONLY way to get better is to do them consistently -- regardless of whether you do pyramids, max sets, forced pull ups or anything, do them AT LEAST six days a week, and probably better served doing them at least twice a day.

irpwns
02-10-11, 03:10 PM
So there is no need to rest and let muscles recover, is what your saying?

03Mike
02-10-11, 03:55 PM
Not like weight lifting. You need rest, sure. But if you do pull ups like you do weight lifting (every other day or three times a week) you're never going to improve. For most folks, it isn't a strength issue, it's an endurance issue.

irpwns
02-11-11, 02:41 PM
Thank you for the information. Its much appreciated.