PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever try to get a job with a govt. agency?

Chad Leddy
02-09-11, 04:45 PM
I posted this on another board, but figured I would post it on this one as well.

When I got out I went through the process of working for the TSA, but ultimately decided that wasn't what I wanted to do with my life. I pretty much had the job, but I wasn't feeling it. Has anyone ever tried to apply to anything like the US Marshals, FBI, CIA, NSA, whatever? If so, talk about it here.

devilbones2
02-09-11, 08:53 PM
What is there to say?

tdrt
02-09-11, 09:04 PM
I worked for Army Corps of Engineers for awhile but that's a little different.

For government jobs, you'll get points added to any test you may take. I know there is a law or whatever -- something -- that states if you apply for a position for which you are qualified, you will get preferential treatment. I'll try to find it for you. It could just be for my state too, but I'll see what I can come up with.

Have you gone to the government job bank yet?

Big Jim
02-09-11, 09:47 PM
I worked for Army Corps of Engineers for awhile but that's a little different.

For government jobs, you'll get points added to any test you may take. I know there is a law or whatever -- something -- that states if you apply for a position for which you are qualified, you will get preferential treatment. I'll try to find it for you. It could just be for my state too, but I'll see what I can come up with.

Have you gone to the government job bank yet?

Hey lady.....!!! :cool:

Chad Leddy
02-09-11, 09:48 PM
I don't even know what that is. I'm really just looking for a direction to look towards.

Komenko
02-09-11, 11:08 PM
Your talking about Veteran Preference Points. I got to use the 10 point Preference to land my Civil Service job on Camp Pendleton. As of right now for Pendleton there is a government hiring freeze...

Sgt Leprechaun
02-10-11, 02:53 AM
Yes. Go to www.usajobs.com (http://www.usajobs.com). It lets you search darned near ANYthing you might want. Be forewarned, lots of reserve jobs pop up. But you can narrow it down by base, state, location, or job title.

And I have a fedjob (LEO) and do (*some*) work in the hiring process. Drop me a PM.

Preacher
02-10-11, 09:23 AM
Try this link Chad, it may help.
http://www.opm.gov/

Chad Leddy
02-10-11, 10:39 AM
Thanks to everyone for being so helpful. I am just trying to find a direction for myself when I feel like I am ignorant to what jobs are actually out there.

USNAviator
02-10-11, 10:51 AM
Thanks to everyone for being so helpful. I am just trying to find a direction for myself when I feel like I am ignorant to what jobs are actually out there.

Chad be advised that you'll be checked out pretty thoroughly, depending whom you work for and what you'll be doing

Also, The Fed requires a specific type of resume so that their electronic scanners can more easily pick out key words and phrases. Do a search for Fed. resumes and how to create one

Good luck to you

ChuckH
02-10-11, 12:45 PM
Chad be advised that you'll be checked out pretty thoroughly, depending whom you work for and what you'll be doing

Also, The Fed requires a specific type of resume so that their electronic scanners can more easily pick out key words and phrases. Do a search for Fed. resumes and how to create one

Good luck to you
Try this link..
http://images.*************/ContentFiles/FedResHandbook.pdf

For whatever reason the link isnt coming out... :(

Chad Leddy
02-10-11, 01:21 PM

Good luck to you

Thanks for the info! What kind of stuff would they be checking? I've never done drugs, I've never been convicted of any crime, the closest thing to law trouble I've ever had was a fix-it ticket that was easily dropped.

USNAviator
02-10-11, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the info! What kind of stuff would they be checking? I've never done drugs, I've never been convicted of any crime, the closest thing to law trouble I've ever had was a fix-it ticket that was easily dropped.

Basically just a routine back ground check to start with. If you're clean you've got nothing to worry about. If not them you should reveal it. Also, I suspect they'll do a credit check. Having good credit shows that you are fiscally responsible, shows you can betrusted. Poor credit might mean a job candidate might be tempted to "put their fingers into the till" especially if they are around money

The higher up you go the deeper the vetting process becomes. It's where they start interviewing neighbors, teachers, employers etc. Oh expect them to scour the social networks, such as Face Book. They may even ask for all your passwords

Hope this helps

Quinbo
02-10-11, 02:51 PM
I worked as a contractor for the Agency for International Developement for a while and had to go through the whole .... I think 11 page background check survey and then a personal interview. They do take a close look at you and your family and your friends.

ChuckH
02-11-11, 10:22 AM
Try this link..
http://images.military dot com/ContentFiles/FedResHandbook.pdf

For whatever reason the link isnt coming out... :(

Put military dot com in where the ***** are

USNAviator
02-11-11, 10:24 AM
Put military dot com in where the ***** are

Chuck I had problems with that as well. For some reason military dot com is blocked on here

ChuckH
02-11-11, 10:32 AM
I finally figured out after about 20 attempts... :p

Phantom Blooper
02-11-11, 10:43 AM
There are a few competitive military forums that the URL has been blocked since this site began.

I worked for Civil Service in NC before being medically retired....

The process that Kameko described is right on.

If you get your foot in the door and you are in one job and a job opens up that you are qualified for you can apply and have preference for the hiring.

You get fingerprinted all over again...swear allegiance....and depending on your rate that you have you are treated the same or there about as the the military rank system and supposedly if you work in a foreign country are to afforded the rights under the Geneva Convention for your grade.
WG or GS.

Chad Leddy
02-11-11, 11:11 AM
Everyone has been great in helping me out with this, this site and Terminal Lance are the two places I posted this and honestly if no one responded, I literally wouldn't have anywhere else to turn to for answers.

I've checked out everything that was posted and saved all the links. I am most likely going to try to start up school again next semester so I can advance myself. I'm still not sure what the best subject would be to major in to go on this career path, but I'm open to suggestions.

USNAviator
02-11-11, 11:36 AM
Everyone has been great in helping me out with this, this site and Terminal Lance are the two places I posted this and honestly if no one responded, I literally wouldn't have anywhere else to turn to for answers.

I've checked out everything that was posted and saved all the links. I am most likely going to try to start up school again next semester so I can advance myself. I'm still not sure what the best subject would be to major in to go on this career path, but I'm open to suggestions.

Chad that's a decision only you can make. But I'd suggest finding a field that you really enjoy. It will make the work you do more rewarding

I like history so when I retired after my 20, I went and got an MA in history and now I teach

There's an old saying I use to tell my daughters "Choose your career before your career chooses you"

Good luck to you and thank you for showing respect to all who gave you some help on here. It doesn't happen very often

rufus1
02-11-11, 05:11 PM
A lot of states will bump you up on the hiring list. I retired from the Prison System and was hired in by a retired Marine. I went in ,talked with him and was hired on the spot. A lot of good jobs at the VA also and they need a lot of help as far behind as they are. What ever your MOS was look around and see what Government Contractors hire that field because they pat pretty good money.

R Landry
02-13-11, 07:52 PM
I worked for 31 years for the Naval Facilities Engineering Command, the US Army Corps of Engineers, and the old Immigration & Naturalization Service (INS). My 5 years of Marine reservist duty must have impressed them - maybe. I did have a Bachelor of Architecture degree, and they were staffing up military based around the world.

My experience with the Corps helped me connect well with Naval and Army officers. Heck, it was fun with the Army in Germany -- almost, just almost, like being back in the Corps, but without the PT. ;)

Just keep in mind that as you rise in rank, like past the equivalent of say, GS-12, you'll be vetted by the FBI for secret clearance. Make sure that you don't have any skeletons in the closet that the feds can find.

Tennessee Top
02-13-11, 09:00 PM
Good luck to you.

Chad Leddy
02-15-11, 10:31 AM
I worked for 31 years for the Naval Facilities Engineering Command, the US Army Corps of Engineers, and the old Immigration & Naturalization Service (INS). My 5 years of Marine reservist duty must have impressed them - maybe. I did have a Bachelor of Architecture degree, and they were staffing up military based around the world.

My experience with the Corps helped me connect well with Naval and Army officers. Heck, it was fun with the Army in Germany -- almost, just almost, like being back in the Corps, but without the PT. ;)

Just keep in mind that as you rise in rank, like past the equivalent of say, GS-12, you'll be vetted by the FBI for secret clearance. Make sure that you don't have any skeletons in the closet that the feds can find.

What did you actually do for the INS?

R Landry
02-15-11, 03:05 PM
I was a detention construction program manager. That is, I managed the design & construction of detainee dormitories & supporting structures (admin facilities, dining halls, clinics, etc.) for various so-called Service Processing Centers (SPCs) near our borders with Mexico & Canada.

triplethreat459
02-18-11, 12:20 PM
A lot of states will bump you up on the hiring list. I retired from the Prison System and was hired in by a retired Marine. I went in ,talked with him and was hired on the spot. A lot of good jobs at the VA also and they need a lot of help as far behind as they are. What ever your MOS was look around and see what Government Contractors hire that field because they pat pretty good money.

The only problem with the VA right now is we are on a hiring freeze untill further notice.