PDA

View Full Version : Peleliu holds Strongest Human Competition

thedrifter
10-08-03, 02:49 PM
Peleliu holds Strongest Human Competition
Submitted by: 13th MEU
Story Identification Number: 2003107131113
Story by Sgt. Mark P. Ledesma

ABOARD USS PELELIU(Sept. 29, 2003) -- After two days of stiff competition, Marines and Sailors aboard the USS Peleliu crowned its strongest man and woman Sept. 29.

Forty competitors challenged each other in the event which started Sept. 27 and ended Sept. 28. Due to the work schedules of individual Marines and Sailors, sign-up and evaluation for the event was done on an individual basis.

According to Todd R. DeJulius, fitness boss, USS Peleliu, participants were required to complete in five events which included maxing out on the bench press, assisted squat machine and pull-up bar. Two timed events included the iron cross, which required competitors to hold dumbbells parallel to the deck, and a sprint run on the ramp.

Taking first in the men's category was Lance Cpl. Gabriel Diaz, wireman, Communication Detachment, Marine Expeditionary Unit Service Support Group 13. Winning the coveted title for the women's category was Petty Officer 2nd Class Frances Charles, S-2, USS Peleliu.

Also representing for MSSG-13 was Capt. Trea H. Schocken, commander, Transportation Support Detachment, who placed third in the women's category.

For many of the participants, the event was a chance for them to express their competitive athletic side while passing time during the long transit across the Indian Ocean to the Arabian Gulf.

"I love competition, that was why I joined the contest," said 22-year-old Diaz.

"It was fun," said 23-year-old Ensign Jessica R. Crocker, repair officer, USS Peleliu. "It breaks up the routine of the day. I was an athlete in college, and I just really missed the competition and challenge."

"The competition was great," said DeJulius. "It got pretty competitive, a lot of people were talking trash amongst each other on the ship."

The competition allowed the Marines and Sailors aboard the ship to have fun as well as access their fitness level, said DeJulius.

"The events were a pretty good cross section of weight lifting, speed and agility. I thought it was a fair competition," said Crocker, who placed second in the women's category. "I'm proud of my performance. There are a lot of areas I need to work on, and this helped to show me what my weaknesses are."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2003107132322/$file/030927-M-5888P-006lowres.jpg

Cpl Benjamin C. Logue, radio operator, Marine Expeditionary Unit Service Support Group 13 challenges the squatting category in the Strongest Human Competition Sept. 27.

Photo by: Sgt. Adrian R. Pascual

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/F1E7FEBCBB3A838A85256DB8005E692B?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: