PDA

View Full Version : My son said it was coming - Major Drawdown

Gator347
02-08-11, 03:23 PM
As planned, the manpower reduction would leave the active-duty force at 182,000 to 187,000 Marines, larger than it was in January 2007 when Gates authorized the plus-up to 202,000.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/02/marine-amos-to-speak-on-drawdown-020811/

Phantom Blooper
02-09-11, 06:47 AM
Commandant: Marine Corps will be smaller, lighter but just as deadly

February 09, 2011 12:35 AM

Tony Perry ("")
Los Angeles Times

SAN DIEGO — The Marine Corps of the future will be smaller and use lighter vehicles and lighter personal protective gear but retain its ability to respond swiftly and with intimidating firepower to any global crisis, Commandant Gen. James Amos said Tuesday night.
The Marine Corps will add more personnel and resources to its Special Operations command — the Marines' equivalent of the Army's special forces — and to its force guarding against attack via cyperspace.
The Marines, Amos said in a speech at the Marine Memorial Club in San Francisco, will be a "middleweight force" ready to move quickly, probably from ships, to buy time for U.S. officials to decide on a long-range strategy to a crisis.
Amos pointed to the recent deployment of Marines to support a Camp Pendleton, Calif.-based battalion in the bitter fight in the Sangin area of Afghanistan as the kind of capability that the Marine Corps will continue to provide.
Within three days of the decision by Defense Secretary Robert Gates, Marines aboard ships off Pakistan were part of the fight in Sangin, including with their own attack aircraft. The Camp Pendleton-based Third Battalion, Fifth Marine Regiment has been in a bloody battle with Taliban fighters since late September.
The new troops from the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit, Amos said, are "in direct support of Gen. (David) Petraeus' winter campaign. Their efforts are further driving a wedge between the insurgents and the local Afghan populace."
Amos' speech was billed as his response to a speech made by Gates last year in the same venue in which he challenged the Marine Corps to define its post-Afghanistan role and to anticipate reduced budgets as the nation struggles with a sour economy. Congressional leaders have been briefed on the Marine Corps plans, Amos said.
Amos said the Marine Corps is ready to "right-size" its force. He did not mention numbers but most observers expect a reduction from the current 202,000 level to about 180,000 Marines.
Amos stood by his decision to support the cancellation of the $14 billion project to develop what is called the Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle that can take Marines from ship to shore. Rather, Amos said, the Marine Corps will begin developing a less expensive amphibious vehicle to do the same task.
"I want to assure you that the Marine Corps will remain our nation's expeditionary force in readiness and remain the force-of-choice for crisis response," he said.

Gator347
02-09-11, 07:12 AM
I know of an E-8 with outstanding reviews who was passed over and is now out.

My son is also out at the end of the month.

I know money is more than tight right now but with what is going on in the Islamic Nations don't you think we need "Devil Dawgs" more than a "New High Speed Light Rail System"?

My dad got RIFed in the early 60's and then we got slammed in Nam because we had few Officers who knew anything about combat.

Do they ever learn?

kjohnson8824
02-09-11, 10:59 AM
So does this mean there not letting marines reenlist after there four years?

Gator347
02-09-11, 11:10 AM
It depends. I know waivers are out. If you get hurt you have a good chance of being bounced. You had best be squared away with great cutting scores.

DrZ
02-09-11, 11:14 AM

All depends on the needs of the Corps. Reenlisting is not a guarantee. It is something that has to be approved by HQMC and their needs. Just be the best everyday in everything you do.

Tennessee Top
02-09-11, 12:56 PM

The word Marines is always capitalized (check the dictionary).

AAV Crewchief
02-10-11, 10:10 AM
Draw that military down so it will speed up the next conflict that arises and we can get caught with our pants down-

Gator347
02-10-11, 10:23 AM
Yes,

We have a Draw Down. No new equipment. All new Air Craft on hold (Forget China is moving ahead with a 5th Generation fighter). No new landing crafts.

Thats right. Do more with less but when we get our Arse in a jam we'll just call the Marines.