PDA

View Full Version : DEP Discharge Question

USMCFAN21
02-08-11, 10:53 AM
Marines, I have a question about being discharged from the DEP. My recruiter told me that I needed to sign a reserve contract and then he would switch me to active duty before my ship date. But it...

Lisa 23
02-08-11, 11:29 AM
The Delayed Enlistment Program (DEP) <br />
<br />
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/dep.htm <br />
<br />
<br />
================================================== === <br />
<br />
<br />
Delayed Enlistment Program (DEP)

reyesjorge0693
11-17-11, 01:15 PM
I have a similiar problem. I swore in around March and I was given my date of shipment on Nov. 14. Well when I swore in my recruiter left me alone for about a week. Then suddenly he was transfered to...

SSgtRSD
11-17-11, 02:02 PM
Did you try going to the office?

Lisa 23
11-17-11, 03:16 PM
You want to talk with your recuiter, or any recruiter, don't call........talk with him/her face-to-face.

lamanognr86
11-18-11, 07:05 AM
Thats great, not only did you take up a spot, you didn't even put forth enough effort about your ship date. Well, you're better off because you'd be four days in boot, and crying your eyes out.

sparkie
11-18-11, 09:35 AM
There is always an excuse for lack of performance. "It wasn't my fault"...... You own it, kid.

bausmc87
11-18-11, 11:26 AM
The Private didn't know:devious:

CplKJSpevak
11-18-11, 04:38 PM
That's just crazy on both sides!! Sounds like someone screwed up:evilgrin:

Tennessee Top
11-18-11, 04:58 PM
Something in this story doesn't fit. Wish we could hear the recruiter's side of it.

VictoryttBold
11-18-11, 06:21 PM
:iwo:I think we need Paul Harvey on this one.

bausmc87
11-18-11, 06:25 PM
Something Smells on this. I was DEP and the from the day i signed my name, my recruiter was calling me every day making sure that I was staying in shape.
Smells like cold feet!:cry:

E4O
11-20-11, 07:15 AM
In theory, yes. In reality, a DEP discharge (will be uncharacterized discharge) can make it harder to enlist again (in any branch not just the USMC). If you haven't signed anything yet, don't. Get it...

Fluker
11-22-11, 09:46 AM
From the day I DEP'd in my SSGT made sure to introduce me as part of the Marine Corps family, I've been in constant contact with my recruiter face to face at least 3 times a week, the DEP program...

PNW2011
11-23-11, 09:35 PM
Are you a high school senior? If so you should have signed active, but that's besides the point. I enlisted as a high school senior, by the time summer rolled around I still didn't have a MOS...

reyesjorge0693
11-28-11, 03:36 PM
Well thanks for all the advice. I never said it was my recruiters fault in fact I know that it was my lack of responsibility that probably lead them to drop my ass from the DEP. Overall, I just wanted to see if I had any options and needed advice. I didnt back out I think I was just put in a situation where I faulted and I screwed myself over.

ALSO I did try to contact them by even going to their office. The times I did go to their office they werent present. I asked around and I heard that most of them are at high schools. I couldnt go back after that because I was working most of the time. BUT anyways thanks for the advice much respect for all of you.

OVonRomer
12-04-11, 08:26 AM
I hope nobody makes the same mistake I did. I initially DEP'd in late April 2011 and requested a discharge sometime in September for a personal hardship with family. I put all crap aside and got my...

PNW2011
12-04-11, 04:22 PM
Your situation is not uncommon, I have people telling me how my recruiter jerked me around and forced me to go reserves. But really my recruiter went to bat for me and secured me a great MOS, because my reserve options were pretty bad. It's a change in the entire system.