PDA

View Full Version : College Marines College?

patrick140
02-07-11, 01:15 PM
So this is my 1st post here and I'd love to get some feedback.

I have been wanting to earn the title of Marine for a long time now. I had wanted to enlist right after high school but I promised my mom that I would get a college degree 1st. I am currently enrolled in my 2nd year of college, and over the past year or so Ive felt like I havent been doing anything important with my life and that Ive been wasting my potential. I understand the value of an education/degree but just feel like I havent earned anything in my life. Also my student loans are out of control (I dont want to pay them off till Im on my death bed). So lately Ive thought about taking some time off school and committing to wearing those dress blues/becoming part of a very elite and special brotherhood. The plan would be: enlist this summer, do my 4yrs of service, come back to the states and use the GI Bill to finish school and get my degree in photojournalism, my goal is to be a combat photographer so spending time in the millitary couldnt hurt.

So I want to know what others have done. Did you ever go back to school? does this sound like a reasonable plan? or am i just totally full of ****?

USNAviator
02-07-11, 02:38 PM

I have been wanting to earn the title of Marine for a long time now. I had wanted to enlist right after high school but I promised my mom that I would get a college degree 1st. I am currently enrolled in my 2nd year of college, and over the past year or so Ive felt like I havent been doing anything important with my life and that Ive been wasting my potential. I understand the value of an education/degree but just feel like I havent earned anything in my life. Also my student loans are out of control (I dont want to pay them off till Im on my death bed). So lately Ive thought about taking some time off school and committing to wearing those dress blues/becoming part of a very elite and special brotherhood. The plan would be: enlist this summer, do my 4yrs of service, come back to the states and use the GI Bill to finish school and get my degree in photojournalism, my goal is to be a combat photographer so spending time in the millitary couldnt hurt.

So I want to know what others have done. Did you ever go back to school? does this sound like a reasonable plan? or am i just totally full of ****?

Patrick, there has been a lot of good information posted here about your situation and your questions. Just do a search and I'm sure you'll find your answers

My advice would be to stay in school and consider the PLC program during your summers

http://www.marineofficerprograms.com/pages/platoon-leaders-class-plc.php

BTW, those student loans aren't going to wait till you're on your death bed. If you leave school and enlist, you'll be paying them off with the grand and tidy sum of a E-1 paycheck :)

03Mike
02-07-11, 02:55 PM
A couple of quick thoughts (first some attitude because you've pushed some of my buttons, then some advice):

I am currently enrolled in my 2nd year of college, and over the past year or so Ive felt like I havent been doing anything important with my life and that Ive been wasting my potential. I understand the value of an education/degree but just feel like I havent earned anything in my life.

Looks like you may continue that by not earning your college degree. Less than 28% of adult Americans hold a four year degree (or higher). Many who do just cruise through putting forth just enough effort to get by - and while they may receive a college degree, many can't say that they've "earned it".

Also my student loans are out of control (I dont want to pay them off till Im on my death bed). So lately Ive thought about taking some tiem off school and committing to wearing those dress blues/becoming aprt of a very elite and special brotherhood.

Nice. That's my tax money you're squandering without intent of paying it back. How about taking some responsibility for your actions.

It's a whole lot more to being a Marine than "wearing those dress blues"

Okay, now the advice:

The plan would be: enlist this summer, do my 4yrs of service, come back to the states and use the GI Bill to finish school and get my degree in photojournalism...

A viable plan... however, many folks have this plan and find that by the time they get out, life manages to get in the way and many don't finish school for a decade or more (if they ever finish). Figure out what you gain by quitting school and enlisting -- is it postponing / deferring your student loans? Is it gaining money for college in the form of the GI Bill? Is it gaining experiences that would make you better suited to complete college and/or become a more resposible adult / better citizen? Is it finding a way that will force you to grow up some? Is it a way to figure out who you are and what you want to be? Many questions that only you can answer.

So, here's my advice:

1. Figure out what's important to you and what you want to do. There is nothing that you can do without a college degree that you can't do with one. Nothing says that you can't complete your degree and then enlist.

2. For one reason or another, you promised your mother you'd get a college degree first. You need to decide if your word means anything or not.

3. If you decide to enlist, make sure that you explore your options first and fully figure out if it is what you want to do. You can't get into your second year of service in the Corps and decide that you want to do something else and leave to go do it.

Sounds to me like you need to do some serious thinking about who and what you are, and who and what you want to be. For many, college tends to delay "growing up" -- the Marines tend to hurry that process along for many folks.

The situation that we are in now, there are many more people desiring to become Marines than the Corps needs. As a result, many folks are being turned away. There's no room for anyone who isn't fully committed and fully qualified. There are many folks who post on this board who have found out that for one reason or another they can't enlist or can't enlist for the jobs they want.

DrZ
02-07-11, 03:26 PM
Patrick,
I spent 8 years in and then went back to school. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. I had forgotten how to learn and how to study. I was pi$$ed off most of the time because university professors seem to enjoy putting down the military. I got it done but it was damn hard. I also had a family by that time so I have to balance my time between family and school.

If you want to join now...then talk to your Mom. You made the promises to her and you need to either man up to your promises or sit and discuss everything with her hoping she will understand. The Marines want people who do what is asked of them... and do more than is asked of them and will do what they say they are going to do. You are having problems doing that already. Mike03 is an Officer of Marines and he won't steer you wrong. He made a very valuable statement.... There is nothing (in the Marines) that you can do without a college degree that you can't do with one. Nothing says that you can't complete your degree and then enlist. What I would like to add to that is this is not the world of 40 years ago where you can find a damn good job without that degree. They are very important to earning a decent wage and to be welcomed into a company.

You will make your own decision concerning this so whatever we say here is actually moot but you did ask so at least LISTEN to what is being said and factor that into your decision.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

USNAviator
02-07-11, 06:50 PM
Mike

You've given some great advice on all of your posts. it obvious to me that, as a Marine and an Officer, you have superior knowledge

To that end I'm standing down unless some one asks about Navy/Marine Aviation, the only area I am truly qualified to speak about

Now how is that son of yours doing at VMI? I was talking to a police officer a few months ago, his son is back for his second Rat year. He bilged out the first time but had a change of heart. Went back for another shot, sometimes you just need to grow up a little

patrick140
02-07-11, 08:16 PM
Thanks everyone so much for their advice. Just to clear some things up: as far as what I said about the loans, I meant I didnt want to spend my whole life paying them off, although it would be a nice idea not to have to pay them untill your dead haha. 03 mike thanks for the words of wisdom you are right I do have to figure out who I am and what I want to be.

afraziaaaa
02-10-11, 07:19 AM

Enlist now to lock on your ship date. There will be at least a 6 month wait for you to go to recruit training which means you will be able to finish your AA and PT a bit before you go.

Finish your bachelor's degree while in the service using the tuition assistance program - (I.E. FREE COLLEGE). Just make sure you select a school that is accredited. Don't fall into the trap that some of the "for-profit" universitites create for degree seekers.

Talk to a recruiter about it.