PDA

View Full Version : Joining

ForMyCountry
02-06-11, 04:27 PM
I have been wanting to hold the title of soldier my whole life seeing as though my whole family is military going back real far. I am not one of those people looking to join for benefits or education money because I already have money and the marines isn't about that. I want to join to serve my country to give back what I have gotten from it and I also want to see and be part of the action. I am in 3 sports at the moment and love running around in the woods gettin muddy and shoot guns all the time. I wanted to know if the marines is for me and if you think so what do you think about infantry. :flag:

ForMyCountry
02-06-11, 04:47 PM
oh srry I seriously though i typed wanted to be a marine I have no clue where I got soldier from. sorry if I offended anybody

Tennessee Top
02-06-11, 04:48 PM
First of all, Marines are NOT soldiers! And yes, we get offended when referred to as one.

If you want to hold the title of soldier you'll need to go join the Army. Sailors are in the Navy, airmen are in the Air Force, and coasties are in the Coast Guard. There are only Marines in the Marine Corps.

When you write the word Marines...the "M" is always capitalized.

Finally, Marines don't shoot guns...we fire weapons.

Now...you know. Try asking your question again.

ForMyCountry
02-06-11, 05:08 PM
Ok then I am willing to sacrifice it all to become a Marine and there ain't nothin thats getting in my way. Marines don't take crap they give it!

Sgt Leprechaun
02-07-11, 01:00 AM
That's all very nice. Go see a recruiter.

Russel Harris
02-07-11, 01:08 AM
Well, MstSgt already chewed your ass. So I'm in the infantry so ask me anything you want to know. It's not all about rolling in the mud and shooting. It's about hard work, working as a team, and getting the mission accomplished. Mission accomplishment is the number one priority for a Marine and it's practically religious doctrine in the infantry. But once again, I'm an open book. Ask away.

wilsontc11
02-07-11, 01:46 AM
I have been wanting to hold the title of soldier my whole life seeing as though my whole family is military going back real far. I am not one of those people looking to join for benefits or education money because I already have money and the marines isn't about that. I want to join to serve my country to give back what I have gotten from it and I also want to see and be part of the action. I am in 3 sports at the moment and love running around in the woods gettin muddy and shoot guns all the time. I wanted to know if the marines is for me and if you think so what do you think about infantry. :flag:Only you can answer if the Marines is for you. Can't answer your question about infantry, but every infantrymen I have ever talked to has said it sucked, which should be obvious to you anyway.

If you're 110% gung-ho ready to join, shave, get a hair cut (not a high and tight), and go IN TO THE OFFICE, and speak to a recruiter. The Marine Corps is downsizing right now, so make a good first impression. Make sure you can pass the IST comfortably too

haebyungdae
02-07-11, 03:33 AM
Agree with that stated previously, ask yourself if you really want to be a Marine. If your gut tells you yes, go see a recruiter and he/she will be more then willing to tell you anything you need to know about joining the Marines. Likewise, after talking to the recruiter and completing some of the other steps, if you want to be infantry then go for it. Choosing an MOS is much like joining the Marines in the respect that we can all tell you this that and the other all day, but the best thing is to just set your mind on something and go for it, just make sure to give it your all.

0351 Corporal
02-07-11, 03:45 AM
If you want to join Marine Corps Infantry ask more specific questions. Russel Harris has offered his knowlege, and I as well (were both Infantry Marines). I would recommend first going to a recruiter to way in on all your options, and also do alot of research. Were lucky to have Google around, you can find most of everything you need on the web nowadays.

ForMyCountry
02-07-11, 04:41 PM
ok thankyou for mentioning that you would be willing to answer my questions on infantry. i wanted to join the army but you know now that I see it the Marines are where its at and my friends dad and step dad are Marines and they are the image I would like to be. I don't know if I exactly want to go infantry but it is something I was thinking of. I would do anything to hold the title of Marine and I also wa wondering what exactly should I do to get ready for the bootcamp if I do get in and what do you think I should do to make a good impression?

ForMyCountry
02-07-11, 06:21 PM
alright thanks

Russel Harris
02-10-11, 11:40 PM
Be in good shape before you go to boot camp. When you get there, be loud. Very loud. And be fast at everything you do. If you do all of that, then you'll make a great first impression. You'll learn everything else as you go along. There really isn't anything you can do to prepare though. No amount of research will prepare you. You have to go to understand. They made me squad leader in boot camp because I was a pt stud. One of my Drill Instructors would ask me why I thought I deserved to be a squad leader and I always said "Because this recruit puts out, sir" and it was true so there was nothing he could say to that. I put out until the end and stayed squad leader all the way. Just pay attention when you're there. Don't be lazy.

Tennessee Top
02-11-11, 08:49 AM
First things first. You have to be a highschool graduate to join so your goal right now is to do good in school and finish. You will eventually need to take an apptitude test called the ASVAB which will be used to see what jobs in the USMC you're qualified for. There are math/algebra, English composition/comprehension, mechanical, and other types of questions. You can do a GOOGLE search for ASVAB study guides.

Do not get in trouble with the law. Your recruiter will pull your police record. Even too many traffic tickets could keep you from getting in.

Don't get any tattoos.

If you're not physically fit now then get in shape. Work on upper body strength (pull-ups), abdominal strength (crunches/sit-ups), and cardio (running). Running is real big in the USMC and you'll do a lot of it. Get yourself a good pair of running shoes and wear them out.

If you're fat now start losing weight. There are weight limits you'll need to meet so start early.

Your next step is to visit a recruiter in your hometown; they will be able to answer most of your questions. Let us know how the meeting went.