PDA

View Full Version : Borderline...

falloutenemy
02-06-11, 01:06 AM
Hello:
I was looking at the site, reading some topics and I would like a Marine's opinion but first I just want to say that I saw a lot of disrespectful threads and posts and they are so uncalled for..It made me wonder how some people must have been brought up. It was just ridiculous and unnecessary.

Anyway, back to the topic, I have always had being a part of the Marine Corps in the back of my mind since I was young for guidance, confidence, experience, etc. But I'm still on the edge...I can't seem to make up my mind. I've read about it, spoken with recruiters, everything and I just don't, for the life of me, know what to do. I don't know what field I want to go into or, from some things I've heard, if I even get to make that decision. I have no idea and I'm just looking for answers...My mind's in it. My heart's in it. I'm stable. I'm strong. There's just something holding me back from jumping in with both feet! Please help me out (if you can). Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your help!
Regards,
Joe Shaw

MARINECID
02-06-11, 01:21 AM
The best thing I can tell you is that you have the fear of the unknown. Everyone has it. I spent 9 1/2 years on recruiting duty and I will tell you what I told all the others like you when they came into my office. "You either gonna join or not!!! We want young men and women who can make a decision, because if you can't make a decision, someone will die in combat waiting for you to figure it out." Thats my 2 cents.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-06-11, 02:51 AM
Joe...it sounds simple and stupid....but "Just DO IT" is sometimes the best, shortest, answer.

You aren't getting any younger, no matter how young you are now...and the clock doesn't run back'ards.

Go talk to a recruiter. What do you have to lose?

Tennessee Top
02-06-11, 04:33 AM
Being a Marine is not a job it's a calling and it doesn't sound to me like you're ready to take the challenge. When you are ready you'll know it. Like said above, don't wait around till it's too late...you're missing out on the greatest adventure of a lifetime.

Personally speaking, I can't imagine what's holding you back. If you only knew the feeling you get when you finally earn the eagle, globe, and anchor for the first time, you would not hesitate.

falloutenemy
02-06-11, 08:57 AM
Thank you both for your responses. Dave I totally agree with you on the disrespectful youth subject. You both helped a lot.

To be completely honest through high school I was sure I was going to pursue the Marine Corps but when I actually started talking to the recruiter and stuff, my family started chiming in a lot more and made me question myself...

falloutenemy
02-06-11, 09:13 AM
Yeah in my case it's actually the other way around. My mom says go for it, my dad says him and my uncle know a few guys that came out of the Marines and are "messed up" from their experience. Before I heard that I was all for taking the step. I will look around though Dave, thank you.

falloutenemy
02-06-11, 09:38 AM
hahah I would never do such a thing! And you do make a very valid point when you put it like that. Who's to say something isn't going to happen to us when we're just walking the streets doing our daily routines? Well put, sir.

HOWARDROARK3043
02-06-11, 10:03 AM
this may not be the area to compare but Marines coming from III MEF are much more disciplined then I and II,,,,,,,, maybe because in III MEF all the SNCO's had the baby powder ready and waiting to PIMP slap anybody that stepped out of line

03Foxtrot
02-06-11, 10:14 AM
I am impressed with the earnest interest expressed by this young man who is considering enlistment in the United States Marine Corps. And, in my opinion, asking for advice from current and former Marines on this website is not something to be taken lightly, by him or us. There does seem to be more animosity and posturing on here then should be, less civility and respect then expected, and it is enlightening that a youthful non-Marine poster is the one to point this out. I consider it both respectful and intelligent of him and the way he has presented himself to this site is indicative to me of someone that probably has the right frame of mind and character to become a United States Marine. Physical strength is important, and certainly a minimum level of fitness is required, but so is having the mental strength and desire to become a Marine. That, along with proper training and leadership can still produce what our enemy still fears today as much as in the past, a motivated and competent young Marine who has ownership of that intangible trait that makes you willing to put your fellow Marine and the mission above yourself. I only speak for myself but I do know what it meant to feel fear and confidence at the same time and to not let the fear in combat overcome the mission or your responsibility to yourself or your outfit or your fellow Marine. To me, that is one definition of courage, finishing the job despite the self doubts and reservations. As others have expressed to you, opinions will vary but since you asked, here is my two cents worth. Listen to all, including your family, weigh all your options and information and then make your own decision. Follow your heart and don't second guess the outcome. Talk to a recruiter and read some books and when you decide, make it happen and become the best Marine you are capable of. If not, walk away but like someone else here suggested, learn to make a decision for yourself, and then stand by the consequences, that is the first step to becoming a man.
Good Luck and Semper Fidelis

TunTvrnWarrior
02-06-11, 10:22 AM
Look for an MOS that should you decide 4 years is enough for you that you can use on the outside. Air Traffic Controller comes to mind for one. Dont become an aircraft mechanic in Marines unless you plan on getting your A&P license while in or you will have nothing to bring to the civilian sector.

Work on your upper body strength in the mean time. Get in top shape.

03Mike
02-06-11, 01:41 PM
Anyway, back to the topic, I have always had being a part of the Marine Corps in the back of my mind since I was young for guidance, confidence, experience, etc. But I'm still on the edge...I can't seem to make up my mind. I've read about it, spoken with recruiters, everything and I just don't, for the life of me, know what to do. I don't know what field I want to go into or, from some things I've heard, if I even get to make that decision. I have no idea and I'm just looking for answers...My mind's in it. My heart's in it. I'm stable. I'm strong. There's just something holding me back from jumping in with both feet! Please help me out (if you can). Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your help!
Regards,
Joe Shaw

Joe - some thoughts on decision making.

Doubt and second guessing in the period leading up to the decision is normal. Uncertainty is a part of the process - for everyone.

So, my advice - write out all of your reasons for wanting to become a Marine. Remind yourself why. Then write out those things that are causing you doubt. Be honest with yourself - you don't ever have to show this list to anyone. Then reason it out - pros and cons. The answer may become obvious, or it may become more cloudy... that's the way many things in life are.

Too many people make decisions based on emotion - apply a process to the problem and you'll get a solution you can live with.

Set yourself a deadline - say 1 April - to make your decision. Go through the exercise above repeatedly. Give it time to just sit and rest in your mind. Give it time to forget about it. Then sit down and go through the exercise again, and you'll start to see a pattern. You'll start arguing with yourself one way or the other. Then, when the time comes, make your decision and stop thinking about it. Give it a week, and then go see the recruiter (if your answer is to enlist).

Now, one caution. Regardless of what you decide, some time in the next day or two, you'll feel that you made the worst mistake of your life. Forget about that - that's just emotion. One you decide, take action and don't look back. Don't second guess yourself.

You've reasoned it through, and if you follow this advice, you'll find that you'll have confidence in your decision.

Marine1011
02-06-11, 01:47 PM
I'm pretty sure all that was covered before. In prev posts?

Sgt Leprechaun
02-06-11, 05:09 PM
Jim, it has been, numerous times, but it's always good to have some fresh perspective. Esp. from newer members. Topics like this are, in my opine, always good to refresh once in awhile, esp. when you have intelligent dialogue going on.