PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Marine reservist opinions/experience

jbach
02-05-11, 08:19 PM
First I want to just thank all the Marines out there for protecting my freedoms.

For about 6 years (I'm 21 now) I have aspired to be a Marine, but not until the last 6 months have I really felt a calling to be a Marine. I'm just about to finish my BS in computer science and engineering and am planning on proposing to my long time gf this summer. I already have a few years experience in my field and wouldn't have a hard time getting a decent job in my area. Now the hard part. I could live my life safely with a good job and great wife, saving for retirement and doing the 9-5; but right now I feel like I was meant for more- to be a Marine. I have been praying about this for a long time and I feel like I should be a Marine. I have had many long discussions with my gf about and she is fully aware of the risks and consequences (with the Marine reserves-forgot to mention). I feel like I would greatly regret it if I don't do it, but in the other hand I wouldn't be risking anything staying stateside. I'm not afraid of boot camp (call me nuts but I actually look forward to boot) and I'm not afraid of deployment. The only thing that I hesitate with, is the affect on my gf (possibly wife) and family if I wasn't able to come home. Honestly I wouldn't care if they never gave me dog tags, money or even a name tag. Just to be apart of the Marine corp would be a good enough.

I have some questions for any current or recent Marine reservist:

-Is it stupid to join the reserves with a degree and NOT be a officer? Are there a lot of people that do that? I understand reserve deployment varies depending on a few variables; but in the past few months have there been an increase, decrease or same amount of Marine reserves that have deployed? As an 03xx how much combat do you see? In your experience how often/likely did you lose a brave Marine (or see a Marine receive a large amount of bodily harm)? Am I guaranteed to see combat in an 03xx MOS? How often does SHTF on a day-day? Besides hunting insurgents, I know we are trying to help construct a democracy there -what are the Marine currently doing with that? Like, are we doing more than just hunting insurgents or are we helping out locals...? Again I want to say that I'm not afraid of deployment or putting myself in harms way, just worried about how it would affect my gf and family if I couldn't come home or was so seriously injured.....-Did you have any of the same concerns? Should I just stay home if I'm worried about not coming home or coming home with great loss? Would I go crazy with regret if I didn't try out? Does it make sense that I try out for the Marines just because I "feel" that I should be one, even though I could be safe at home with a good job? Do I sound like a good prospect for a Marine or am I risking too much? I'll end with this -if/when I sign that contract, I will expunge these concerns and strive my hardest to be the best Marine I can be.

USNAviator
02-05-11, 09:11 PM
WOW there are a lot of questions. You're 21, congrats on making it that far. Most of us on here are from 40 on up. We've been there and some think they have been there and have not

My advice is to go to OCS, you have valuable skills that the Corps can utilize. If you're feeling any regret about not getting into "combat", let it slide. As far as your gf(sp) if its to be she can adapt and overcome

You're over thinking this son. It's not that difficult a decision. Put aside what your girlfriend thinks/feels because at your age that's most likely isn't going to last (Sorry).. Put aside what your parents think, you're a grown man. Make up your own mind. You want to be a Marine then do it. Keep it simple in you're life!!!

Twenty-one, I have shoes your age ;)

Dan

TheHammer
02-06-11, 12:53 AM
It's not stupid to join the reserves with a degree. I'm a bit older than you, and I'll be finished with my degree in May. Sure I get a hard time about supposedly being older and "smarter" than the typical junior enlisted Marine, but when it comes time for business, I am not treated any differently, nor would I want to be. I have not deployed, but so far I have enjoyed my time as an enlisted Marine. I've learned a lot about myself and the Marine Corps and I've made a lot of friends. I've also been lucky enough to work under some good ol' fashioned NCOs and SNCOs who have done their best to, how shall we say, "keep me squared away", and keep me from losing that edge that I got at MCRD.

As an infantry reservist who deploys, you can probably expect no difference in duty requirements or expectations from your active duty counterparts. Again, I don't know this for sure, as I have not deployed, but this is the gouge I get from Marines in my unit who have already been down range once or twice. While deployed, you could be handing out soccer balls, kicking down doors, or providing security for a cardboard box. All of these decisions are made by the mythical powers that be (also known as officers), and all you really get to do is say "aye aye sir" and go do it.

As far as the girlfriend, you can plan for the best but you should prepare for the worst. I remember that part of boot camp like it was yesterday; early in the first phase during what little square away/free time we had we would all talk about our girlfriends and how much we loved them and what our plans were with them once we got back. A drill instructor would then enter the squad bay and oh so politely tell us not to even worry about it because "she's already riding someone else, but don't worry she might show you some new tricks when you come home". And of course everyone right away would say to themselves, "Oh no, that's not my gf, she would never do that to me, we're gonna be together forever, get married, blah blah blah". Then, as the training cycle progressed, the "dear john" letters started rolling in and piling up. I was no exception. The girl I was with for almost 5 years, the girl I had planned to propose to when I got back, sent me that piece of mail I never thought I would get. A word of advice that a lot of older Marines pass down is not to propose until after your first deployment. If she can make it through that while staying faithful to you, then you probably have a winner.

I enlisted for the same reasons you probably did. I didn't want to have regret. I wanted to serve. And I'm very glad I did. Is OCS an option? Absolutely. But either way, I'm glad to say that I can call myself a Marine. Maybe I'll apply after I graduate, I don't know for sure. What I do know is that it's ok to be scared to deploy. I'll probably be a little scared when I get my chance too. But it's not about being scared, it's about stepping up. It's about doing your job when you're called upon and watching out for the Marine on your left and your right. Your Drill Instructors will do their very best to mold you into a person of courage who can act in the face of fear. They usually succeed, because Marines are usually more FEARED than they are fearful.

All of this is my two cents, I felt like replying because it seems you were about in the same boat I was a year ago (and of course I'm older). Either way, best of luck to you.

jbach
02-06-11, 01:27 AM
Thanks guys for all your answers. These are really helping me out.

USNaviator- Your right. I am over thinking some things. What can I say thought I'm an engineer... As for what my gf thinks...she's supportive of whatever I do. Of course shes not looking forward to me being gone, but she would rather me follow my heart then live a life with regret.

As far as OCS - I'm not sure if that's what I'm looking to do. I don't have enough info about what officers actually do to have a say however. Whats the process to be an officer? Is is longer than most MOS schools? What do Marine Reserve officers do? Thanks again for all your help guys.

TheHammer
02-06-11, 12:00 PM
The training pipeline for reserve officers is pretty much the same as those on the active duty side. You first have to get selected to attend OCS (which means having a decent GPA, a good PFT score, letters of recommendation, etc.), then if you're selected you go to OCS for ten weeks (since you'll be a college graduate). Once you graduate you will recieve a commission as a 2nd Lt. and go to The Basic School (TBS), which is six months. After TBS, you will go to your MOS school (which if your infantry, I believe is the infantry officers course). After you complete all of your training you will be released back to your unit and continue as a reservist.

There are a couple of officers here and I hope they also reply to you. Also, remember the best place to get more detailed information on the officer process is an Officer Selection Officer (OSO).

03Mike
02-06-11, 01:49 PM
The training pipeline for reserve officers is pretty much the same as those on the active duty side. You first have to get selected to attend OCS (which means having a decent GPA, a good PFT score, letters of recommendation, etc.), then if you're selected you go to OCS for ten weeks (since you'll be a college graduate). Once you graduate you will recieve a commission as a 2nd Lt. and go to The Basic School (TBS), which is six months. After TBS, you will go to your MOS school (which if your infantry, I believe is the infantry officers course). After you complete all of your training you will be released back to your unit and continue as a reservist.

There are a couple of officers here and I hope they also reply to you. Also, remember the best place to get more detailed information on the officer process is an Officer Selection Officer (OSO).

A small correction - the training pipeline for reserve officers is EXACTLY THE SAME as it is for the active duty side.

The only other thing that needs correction is the last bit - after your MOS school you are assigned to the Fleet Marine Force for active duty.

The Marine Corps commissions all of its officers as members of the reserve - and all serve active duty contracts. At some point during that active duty tour, reserve officers can apply for transition to the regular Marine Corps.

There is no program that allows someone to be commissioned a second lieutenant, go through training, and then report to an SMCR reserve unit for the classic one weekend a month and two weeks a year reserve duty.

03Mike
02-06-11, 01:59 PM
-Is it stupid to join the reserves with a degree and NOT be a officer?
No.

Are there a lot of people that do that?
Though rare, it's not unheard of.

I understand reserve deployment varies depending on a few variables; but in the past few months have there been an increase, decrease or same amount of Marine reserves that have deployed?
What has happened in the last few months will have very little bearing on what's happening a year from now after you go through boot camp and MOS training. Chances are, sometime during your first reserve contract, you'll get activated and deploy somewhere. Could be overseas, could be here in the US.

As an 03xx how much combat do you see? In your experience how often/likely did you lose a brave Marine (or see a Marine receive a large amount of bodily harm)? Am I guaranteed to see combat in an 03xx MOS?
Roll the dice. No way to say. I've seen Marines killed in training as well. "Stuff" happens. Chances are greater that it'll happen if you're active duty, but overal, "stuff" happens.

Would I go crazy with regret if I didn't try out? Does it make sense that I try out for the Marines just because I "feel" that I should be one, even though I could be safe at home with a good job?
Only you will know that - and the only way to know for sure is to decide not to serve. The only way to know for sure is to look yourself in the mirror in 10 or 20 years and see who/what is looking back.

TheHammer
02-06-11, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the corrections, sir.

jbach
02-06-11, 10:25 PM
hmm good points 03mike, thank you sir.

TheReservist
02-08-11, 09:29 AM
http://www.marines.mil/unit/marforres/Join/Bonus.aspx

The Officer Candidate Course - Reserve

The Officer Candidate Course - Reserve (OCC-R) is for qualified civilian college seniors or graduates who may apply for a Reserve commission and follow-on service directly with an SMCR unit upon completion of all required training: OCS, TBS, and an appropriate MOS school. The program requirements will mirror those for OCC with the exception being the component in which appointment is made. Members of the ready reserve are not eligible and should apply for commissioning via RECP or MCP-R.

On my 2nd deployment, we had a boot lt. who did that.

03Mike
02-08-11, 01:09 PM
http://www.marines.mil/unit/marforres/Join/Bonus.aspx

The Officer Candidate Course - Reserve

The Officer Candidate Course - Reserve (OCC-R) is for qualified civilian college seniors or graduates who may apply for a Reserve commission and follow-on service directly with an SMCR unit upon completion of all required training: OCS, TBS, and an appropriate MOS school. The program requirements will mirror those for OCC with the exception being the component in which appointment is made. Members of the ready reserve are not eligible and should apply for commissioning via RECP or MCP-R.

On my 2nd deployment, we had a boot lt. who did that.

Damnnn.... learn something new every day. Must be a relatively new program.

I stand corrected. Thank you for the info, and uh... carry on!

crazymjb
02-08-11, 10:49 PM
Depending where you are, you will find many if not most of the enlisted in the reserves have or are on their way to a degree, I'd say in my unit only 10-15% are not or have not continued their education after high school. We even have some ivy leaguers, and a few guys in law school too, and some more in grad school. I have about 2 years left until I get my bachelors.

One thing to note, there IS a 4 year contract for the reserves. After you deploy you will still get the post 9/11 GI bill even if you sign the 4 year contract. If you want to stay in, cool, you can do that too, but no reason to sign away 6 years instead of 4, you never know where your life may lead you, especially when the Marine Corps is not your 24/7 job.

Some women cheat, some don't. If your girlfriend is worth it, she won't. I've seen plenty of guys with faithful girlfriends, and plenty without. By no means give up on her, because that isn't going to help anything.

Good luck,

Mike

civgrunt05
02-18-11, 09:53 AM
I'm quite late to enter this thread, but I thought I'd add some things in the event you are still monitoring it.

I've been in the reserve for 6 years and I'm an 0311 Sgt. I started college before I joined and I've since finished two degrees. I've been talked to about becoming an officer, but it's just not for me. I like being an enlisted man and suffering with the other enlisted men.

My current billet allows me to spend some time with the staff and some officers, but I can tell you there is nothing quite the same as riding in the back of a seven ton with your Marines and laughing your ass off to some LCpl tell a story for the fourth time about how he and another Lance were becoming carnally familiar with a local college girl when her mom walked in. In the next five minutes you can find yourself debating the virtues of the International Monetary Fund in the modern global economy with another Marine. In my opinion you just don't get that kaleidoscope of social experience on the officer side. With that said, you do have some special skills to offer the Corps.

I've done only one deployment in my time -- and for that I was activated 10 months after finishing SOI. I'm extending to do my second deployment which is coming down the pipe. I did not go to Iraq or Afghanistan on the first tour and, unfortunately, I will not be going to Afghanistan for this one either (Marines are no longer in Iraq in any significant number). So I think this answers the "will I for sure see combat?" question.

To clear up some common misconceptions about reserve duty:

Drills are not always on the weekend. I've left my home Wednesday night to show up for drills early Thursday morning and don't get back home until late Sunday night.

Annual trainings are not always two weeks. I've done an OCONUS AT for which I was away from home three and a half weeks.

Employers DO worry about you being in the reserve. When I finished college with my first degree (it was in finance) I couldn't find a job despite excellent work history and a high GPA. To this day I honestly believe that small firms especially, at least in the back of the hiring manager's mind, worry that they are going to hire you, train you, and build trust in you, only to see you activated, leaving them with a spot he has to hold but not enough time to find, train, and trust someone else for it before you return. At times I considered dropping my reserve service from my resume.

As you move up in the ranks, you will find yourself spending much more than just the required drill period to accomplish tasks. I'm a platoon commander and I'm constantly wrapping myself up with making this list or that list, preparing myself for some class I've been assigned to teach next drill, or carrying concerns/requests from my subordinates to higher. Our drills are jam packed with training and there just isn't sufficient time to handle everything while there. I've seen a guy in my billet get an ultimatum from his wife to "get out or leave this house" (though they had other issues) because she thought he was always too busy with his regular job and the range of things required of him on the reserve side to tend to the family.

As to the woman:
I have been with my wife since I was 16. If she is a good woman, she will still be around for you. If she doesn't stick around, than she wasn't the marrying type anyway.

jbach
02-18-11, 10:23 AM
Civgrunt05** -

Yes I am still monitoring this post, thank you for responding. So your saying it was pretty hard to get/keep a job while being a reserve? Is it hard balancing out your regular job with your Marine job? Do-able? I agree with you about suffering with the rest, being an officer is not what I'm looking for. So my last question to you... Has is been worth it enlisting, to go through all the long drills, boot, soi, deployment, being away from home and your wife, trying to keep a civ job AND balance out your Marine job? That's an important question for myself. My reason for joining (if I were to join) is because, a Marine is something I just want to be. I have a lot of other things I could "be" that are safer, less...well hard to be. My hangup is that I'm having a hard time justifying all the other overhead. I wouldn't hesitate as much if it were just myself, but I'm planning on marrying this girl soon (asking rather) and all that overhead has an affect on her too later on. We've had many long talks about this and she is very supportive. She says she would rather me do it than look back and have regret. I feel the same, but the same hangups still bother me. Help?

jbach
02-18-11, 10:46 AM
Would enlisting for full time be a better idea?

civgrunt05
02-18-11, 10:55 AM
It's not that it's hard to keep a job, it's that it is hard to get a job in my opinion. I'm sure getting on at Burger King is no problem, but IMO jobs in professional fields are more difficult to get when you say, "Yes, I am still in the Reserve. Yes, I could be deployed at any time now. I don't expect it at this moment, but I am still obligated should they call." It's very doable.

The only thing I regret about my Marine Corps career is never being sent to either war. I joined to go to Iraq, that ship has since sailed, and now I'm being told we are mobilizing again but not for Afghanistan. It's like being a senior on the football team, believing yourself ready, training hard to be ready, and then the coach telling you, "Look guy, we need some good linebackers on the JV team." Would I have joined if I knew I'd do 6 years plus and never get sent to the wars? Possibly not, but I will say that some of the best experiences I've had and will ever have were made in the Corps.

As far as the time commitments: As a junior Marine, it wouldn't be so much of a burden. All that's required of you outside of showing up to drill is staying in shape and doing a few MCIs/Marine Net courses from time to time.

You'll have to make your own mind up if it's worth it for you.

YourPhoneIsMine
02-18-11, 11:38 AM
Civgrunt05** -

Yes I am still monitoring this post, thank you for responding. So your saying it was pretty hard to get/keep a job while being a reserve? Is it hard balancing out your regular job with your Marine job? Do-able? I agree with you about suffering with the rest, being an officer is not what I'm looking for. So my last question to you... Has is been worth it enlisting, to go through all the long drills, boot, soi, deployment, being away from home and your wife, trying to keep a civ job AND balance out your Marine job? That's an important question for myself. My reason for joining (if I were to join) is because, a Marine is something I just want to be. I have a lot of other things I could "be" that are safer, less...well hard to be. My hangup is that I'm having a hard time justifying all the other overhead. I wouldn't hesitate as much if it were just myself, but I'm planning on marrying this girl soon (asking rather) and all that overhead has an affect on her too later on. We've had many long talks about this and she is very supportive. She says she would rather me do it than look back and have regret. I feel the same, but the same hangups still bother me. Help?
your "marine job" is usually two or three days out of the month. if you can't adjust a work schedule around that then you've got bigger problems on your plate

TheReservist
02-18-11, 11:48 AM
your "marine job" is usually two or three days out of the month. if you can't adjust a work schedule around that then you've got bigger problems on your plate

In the beginning it's all about just showing up. As you gain rank though, it becomes more and more an unpaid job as you are getting constant phone calls for inane things like getting Marines in your squad boot sizes or because they didn't do frost calls.

Also, going over info so that during the actual drill weekend you can teach the boots something instead of them just sitting around their wall lockers complaining about having nothing to do. Then you can teach them and have them prac app while they complain about what theyre doing.

Gunz
02-18-11, 11:57 AM
Good post civgrunt05

civgrunt05
02-18-11, 12:30 PM
In the beginning it's all about just showing up. As you gain rank though, it becomes more and more an unpaid job as you are getting constant phone calls for inane things like getting Marines in your squad boot sizes or because they didn't do frost calls.

Also, going over info so that during the actual drill weekend you can teach the boots something instead of them just sitting around their wall lockers complaining about having nothing to do. Then you can teach them and have them prac app while they complain about what theyre doing.

If I were running some Marines through some prac app on a class I had tought and they started complaining, I'd hand them an e-tool and tell them to make me a fighting hole.

DrZ
02-18-11, 01:16 PM
As one engineer to another.... let me fill you in on a few things. The engineering market sucks currently in the civilian world. If you decide to go reservist, you are going to need to find a job in a market that has a glut of engineers from shiny new just out of university to people who have PhDs and reams of experience. If you choose to go to the Marines, you can become an Officer of Marines since you almost have the degree in hand. Your CS/CSE skills will be valuable to the Corps. Not saying your experience wouldn't be valuable if you decide to go enlisted as well, but why go enlisted if you have the majority of the requirements satisfied to become an officer?

As far as your girlfriend...she will either stay or not. Sounds cold but wouldn't you rather find out the prior to taking that long walk down the aisle? Family will be your family no matter what. They might disapprove of your decision but they will get used to it.

Don't over think the rest of it. Determine what is best for you and do it. As an Officer of Marines, you need to have the ability to determine what needs to be done and do it. As an enlisted person.... you will grow in responsibility and knowledge with every rank....but, and this is my personal opinion only, often the way things are done in the Marines are not the most streamlined or efficient and it might just drive you crazy.

Go somewhere quiet and away from the din of civilization and think it over. Then do what your heart and brain tells you to do.

Good luck either way.

03Mike
02-18-11, 08:35 PM
...IMO jobs in professional fields are more difficult to get when you say, "Yes, I am still in the Reserve. Yes, I could be deployed at any time now. I don't expect it at this moment, but I am still obligated should they call." ...

Depends on who you're trying to work for. Personally, I give preference to hiring veterans and reservists. As a Marine, I know what to expect of them and they know what to expect of me. I have a higher level of confidence that if I give them a task they'll get it done instead of b!tching about how difficult it is or why someone else should do it. I know that I can assign tasks with a "civilianized" version of a 5 paragraph order and it'll get done.

Personally, I'd rather risk having half of my team activated and deployed than have to put up with the whining, equivocating civilians that are all applying for jobs now.

jrod02
02-20-11, 05:50 PM
CivGrunt05 pretty much hit the nail on the head. I was a 3531 with a 3533 liscence and the reason I was given that MOS was because of the units near my home. My 1st unit was 23d TOWS (now Fox Co AT BN) from Lafayette, La. I deployed with IMHG because I had a LVS operators liscence. My 2nd unit was with a Bulk Fuel Plt. but I deployed with Combat Logistics Battalion 8 under RCT8. So really it all pretty much depends on how you truly feel in the end. I can say that if you don't have the right people in your corner on the reserve side, you can & will get fugged. I would recommend going active, But that is just my opinion.

AdminAssassin
02-22-11, 10:53 AM
You could easily get deployed with ANY MOS regardless of what unit your with or whether or not your an officer. I'm admin and I was told last week I was getting deployed in the near future(can't specify when) so it's always possible. Active or reserve, relationships are always strained but your gf/wife just has to understand going in that you will be a Marine and if she's ok with that she should do fine. Just go ahead and join us, getting that EGA is a once-in-a-lifetime feeling no one can take from you.

jbach
02-22-11, 10:36 PM
Thanks for all the help so far guys I really appreciate it.

I've thought about going the officer route...and well, is doesn't feel like that's what I want to be. I would join to do my part, get dirty, do the hard crap that nobody else want's to do. Not that officer's don't get their fair share. When I think of being an officer, feels more like a career decision and frankly I'm not looking to make it a career. I I guess I need to find out what officers really do. I don't know. Can somebody point me to a website with a mega-crap-tonne of info on officers and everything thereof? Thanks.

As for the gf/wife comments: That's not an issue with me or her, she is fully supportive and understand all the overhead -at least as much as we can guess.

Now I'm going to ask a couple questions that I keep finding different answers for. It's very frustrating not knowing which is the truth. Just to get it out of the way -I know it doesn't matter what mos you are or if your reserve or full time, I know as some point your unit will more than likely get deployed. My question is WHERE and WHAT is it like? I also know these have many variables but where are most Marines going to? I read on the futurejarhead's website that there is a smaller chance of deploying to Afghanistan (instead of Japan or somewhere else) and an even smaller chance I would see combat. From my own research I find that to be the opposite, but I have no experience. The website also said that most likely you would get deployed to a base in nowhere being absolutely bored with a small possibility of seeing some distant small arms fire. Being a Marine reservist, I thought that you would have a higher chance of going to Afghanistan and since that's the hot spot right now that you would be seeing combat almost everyday. I understand that I'm asking decently specific questions but I'm not looking for a definite "you will go here, you will go there" answer. Just trying to figure out what the "norm" is...or at least what the pattern has been. Here's another one I might get crap for, but keep in mind this is a n3wb question forum... so please be gentle. Parallel to the questions I just asked -what's the general, overall chances of survival in a harsh area in Afghan? Of getting hurt?

crazymjb
02-23-11, 10:52 AM
This isn't WWII, if you get deployed you will more than likely come home. That said, reservists have died and will continue to be killed in Afghanistan, as they were in Iraq. Whether and where you go will largely depend on when and what unit you get to, where they are in their schedule, and even then they could decide to augment you with another unit. Consider yourself having a good chance of going to Afghanistan as a reservist, as I would be highly surprised if they weren't rotate through until the last Marines are out.

What region are you in? Do you know what reserve unit you would be going to as a grunt? That will factor in as well. 3/25 is just getting back from Afghanistan, 1/23 is just heading out, and 1/25 is going to be there by summers end... there is a method to the Marine Corps madness. If you land in one of these 3 infantry units they will likely not be back to Afghanistan after these deployments just based off timing and Obamas schedule... that said, you will also likely have an easy opportunity to volunteer to go with another group, or quite possibly be voluntold. Bottom line, your a moron if you aren't expecting to go to Afghanistan when you join the Marine Corps.

Mike

jbach
02-23-11, 11:14 AM
I don't know if I HAVE to go to a base in my state or not, but there's a base in Perrysburg, OH the 1/24 weapons comp. There is another base in Detroit also 1/24, Charlie comp i believe.

AdminAssassin
02-23-11, 11:37 AM
The recruiter will give you your options on what MOS's are available to you, which depends on the units in proximity to your address. Go to www.marineofficer.com (http://www.marineofficer.com) to find out more about being an officer, its got plenty of info on it. By the way, Japan is more of a duty station as opposed to a deployment spot.

Gunz
02-23-11, 12:09 PM
I don't know if I HAVE to go to a base in my state or not, but there's a base in Perrysburg, OH the 1/24 weapons comp. There is another base in Detroit also 1/24, Charlie comp i believe.

1/24 in Detroit is the Battalion Headquarters.

crazymjb
02-23-11, 02:45 PM
If given the choice get a slot in Weapons Co. You ride while other walk (you operate out of trucks). It's a good gig, the best if you are a Machine Gunner because you spend a lot more time on the heavy guns (.50 Cal and Mark 19), and if its a Combined Anti Armor Team, you get to play with rockets too.

Mike

jbach
02-23-11, 04:13 PM
crazymjb - what mos allows you to be in the truck or run the 50?

crazymjb
02-23-11, 05:30 PM
Machinegunner (0331). If you go to a weapons company chances are they have a Combined Anti-Armor Team which is made of up of TOW gunners (0352), Assaultmen (0351), Rifleman (0311), and Machine Gunners (0331s). All will be proficient in the use of the Machine Guns.

Mike

jrod02
03-16-11, 10:32 AM
Machinegunner (0331). If you go to a weapons company chances are they have a Combined Anti-Armor Team which is made of up of TOW gunners (0352), Assaultmen (0351), Rifleman (0311), and Machine Gunners (0331s). All will be proficient in the use of the Machine Guns.

Mike

These are all great MOS's to have as well. Like I said before, My initial unit coming into the Corps was with 23rd TOWs out of Lafayette, and that there was by far my favorite unit. Grunts, I believe, are a tighter knit group than a POG unit. Being a part of any of these units will also open up a lot of different schools as well. When I was part of TOWs, I was given the options to go to more grunt involved schools such as SERE, TOW, etc, even tho my MOS was Motor T.

Hilopat
03-27-11, 10:29 AM
I signed up as a reserve Marines while I was still in college, 50 years ago. I wanted to be someone special and not wait to be drafted. I got my degree two years after joining and thought about going to OCS but did not. My decision to join was one of the very best of my life and the USMC experience influenced positively everything I have done since then.