PDA

View Full Version : Going to see the recruiter on Monday...

LilRingo
02-05-11, 02:00 PM
Hello Marines,

As the title says, this Monday, my mom and I are going to see the Marine Recruiter. I was wondering what the common courtesy for a recruiter is? I already know the obvious: don't call him 'sarge' and don't get an attitude. Are there any other standards of behavior?

Thanks for any help.

Tennessee Top
02-05-11, 04:22 PM
Unlike some on here who think the recruiter's job is to sign up as many folks as they can...the recruiter's mission is to find the BEST applicant they can. Understanding that, realize he can only take a certain number of applicants from his recruiting district. So, it boils down to competition. You will be competing against all the other applicants from your district.

Obviously, first impressions are important. So, you'll want to present a neat/clean appearance. Not saying you need to wear a coat and tie but some torn up or baggy jeans would not be a good idea. Take a shower, shave, etc. Give a firm handshake and look him in the eye when you ask questions (don't be a momma's boy). He may ask you about traffic violations or other run-ins with the law...never lie because he will pull your police report eventually. Recruiters are very busy; he will expect you to ask appropriate questions but don't waste his time with BS.

You will develop a relationship with your recruiter that will last till you ship off to bootcamp. It's important that relationship starts off on a positive note.

You must realize there are more applicants than the USMC needs or wants at this particular time (mostly due to the poor economy). So the important thing to remember is the Marine Corps does not need you. The recruiters today are only choosing the best/brightest/most morally sound applicants to send to recruit training. Like the TV commercial says..."we do not take applications...only committments". The proper, and only, attitude to have is not what the USMC can do for you but what you can do for the USMC!

Good luck...come back Tuesday and let us know how your meeting went.

LilRingo
02-05-11, 05:03 PM
(don't be a momma's boy). I dont mean to sound smart, but, I'm a girl. :) and I will definitely tell you how it goes.

Tennessee Top
02-05-11, 05:18 PM
I dont mean to sound smart, but, I'm a girl. :) and I will definitely tell you how it goes.

My bad...should've read your profile! Forget about shaving; everything else still applies I think. Be prepared for a mock ASVAB test (my niece was given one of those by her recruiter recently).

Looking forward to your report.

03Mike
02-05-11, 07:17 PM
All good advice above - make sure you have a neat, conservative appearance. No need to dress up, but jeans and a t-shirt (or its cold weather equivalent) won't do you any favors. Be sure to make eye contact as you talk to the recruiter and as he/she talks to you. No need to yell or "be motivated" like in the movies - talk to your recruiter like you would talk to the principal of your high school, a police officer, or your clergy -- Respect and confidence will take you a long way.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-06-11, 12:03 AM
OUTstanding advice. The only thing I'd add would be to have 'sort' of an idea of 'maybe' what you'd like to do in the Marine Corps. It doesn't have to be concrete or even 100 percent...but it does help.

Good luck!

Closed, as answered.