PDA

View Full Version : Arlington refuses burial of U.S. ally from Vietnam War

ChuckH
02-05-11, 06:58 AM
Washington (CNN) -- The family of a man who fought alongside U.S. troops in Vietnam have been told their relative will not be allowed to be buried at Arlington National Cemetery.
Major General Vang Pao led thousands of Hmong soldiers as they fought alongside the United States against the North Vietnamese Army during the war in Southeast Asia, according to a news release from Congressman Jim Costa of California.
Costa, on behalf of Pao's family, asked the Army to grant an exception to Arlington's rules to allow Pao to be buried in the nation's most hallowed burial ground.
Pao died recently of complications from pneumonia, according to Costa.
"The Vang Pao family's request for an exception to the burial policy was thoroughly reviewed by a board comprised of senior military and civilian officials. ... After a comprehensive analysis, the board unanimously recommended denial of the request for exception to policy. Upon receipt of the board's input, the Secretary carefully reviewed and deliberated on this matter and accepted the board's recommendation," according to a statement from the Army released Friday evening.
According to the cemetery's policy, Pao would have had to have served in the U.S. armed forces to be eligible for the honor.
The family can still ask Defense Secretary Robert Gates and President Obama to make an exception. A Pentagon spokesman said he did not know if any request regarding Pao's burial had reached Gates as of Friday afternoon.

devilbones2
02-05-11, 07:04 AM
Obama will let him in, he is a weak man.

ChuckH
02-05-11, 07:08 AM
I am on the fence about this article.... I can see both sides.. BUT its funny... I thought the same thing.. OBama will over ride the decision.

sparkie
02-05-11, 07:20 AM
If it has never happened before, I would say hell no. Just don't open that door. We have lost enough traditions. If it has happened in the past,,,no biggie.

Just my opinion.

foreverproud
02-05-11, 11:23 AM
Here's a good link as to who can be buried at Arlington Cemetery.
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/funeral_information/guide.interment.html

Just my two cents:
Although I believe that Major General Vang Pao was an honorable and brave man, I believe that he was first and foremost fighting for his country.
I am the wife of a Vietnam vet and I appreciate Pao's courage, but agree with the denial.

tripledog
02-05-11, 06:50 PM
And IMO it should stay that way.

USNAviator
02-05-11, 07:38 PM
Here's a good link as to who can be buried at Arlington Cemetery.
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/funeral_information/guide.interment.html

Just my two cents:
Although I believe that Major General Vang Pao was an honorable and brave man, I believe that he was first and foremost fighting for his country.
I am the wife of a Vietnam vet and I appreciate Pao's courage, but agree with the denial.

Jeanne thanks for the link. I grew up about two miles away from Arlington and am still amazed at who has been allowed to be buried there

When I think of ANC I think foremost of R.E. Lee. All that property belonged to his family, more specifically his wife's family. When the Union confiscated the land, they started burrying the Union dead as close to the Lee home as they could.. Hell not ever Lee rated being buried on his own former property, he's burried in Lexington,VA

But to me Arlington is the final resting place of warriors, American warriors. I think the correct decission was made

USNAviator
02-05-11, 07:52 PM
Absolutely. Otherwise you have no rules, just exceptions to them. If they let him "in", then the requests come in fast and furious, with everyone saying, well, HE was buried here, and there is no end to it.

That's a big check Dave :thumbup:.. You know an actress named Fay Bainter is buried there mainly because one of her husbands was a AF Lt. Col