PDA

View Full Version : Open Contract

MunkyVsRobot
02-04-11, 11:37 AM
So I was told that when i head to the MEPS i sign an open contract and then it becomes null and void once i get back to my recruiter to sign up for an MOS is this correct..?

The dilemma I am having in my head is as in my first post I am looking to get an Intel position I dont want to sign an open contract go to the meps and come back and have an infantry contract in front of me. If i get back from the meps and nothing (referring to a field i would like) is available can i still bail or am i held to said open contract?

Would I know whats available to me after taking the ASVABs and the MEPS is just to make sure i physically qualify?

Vandrel
02-04-11, 12:09 PM
Once you sign a contract, that's it. In some cases it "may" work out but I can tell you from experience that it didn't work out that way for me so I ended up having to square it away during 2nd phase of boot camp. Open contracts will stick with you until they are ready to send you off to SOI for either ITB or MCT, your only safe bet is to stay away from the open contracts and wait it out.

Look at it this way, if anything were to happen to your recruiter from now till you ship, he trips and breaks his leg, ends up in jail, hit by a drunk driver, whatever, your career path sits in his hands. If he happens to miss the deadline OR maybe your luck just runs out and there's no openings for you well, you're assed out and stuck with open contract.

It's always a good rule of thumb that as soon as you hear the words OPEN CONTRACT, you say see ya later and find another recruiter. Not saying that's your only option but open contracts are generally a last resort.

Vandrel
02-04-11, 12:15 PM
My recrtuiter had me sold on the idea that I'd ship as open contract and then my contract would magically change to what I wanted it to be, yea... that sure went well considering my Senior Drill Instructor had to send me over to the career planner at Parris Island to fix my jacked up contract.

MunkyVsRobot
02-04-11, 04:52 PM
I was told that id ship to the meps as an open contract but after i got back from the meps id sign my MOS contract.. Is there a way around this or can i take all that stuff and sign my MOS contract first?

Casedizzy2821
02-04-11, 10:32 PM
You're initial contract you sign is open, that just gets you to MEPS. Yes you can fix it later at the recruiter. If he gives you crap, just say you want to be dropped from the DEP. You can do that, even if you already swore in.

Now if you are on the plane to MCRD and it still is open, then ya, you're gonna get whatever they give you.

Also they can't force you to go infantry. It's volunteer only, and even then, everybody is fighting for a slot.

MunkyVsRobot
02-05-11, 07:19 AM
You're initial contract you sign is open, that just gets you to MEPS. Yes you can fix it later at the recruiter. If he gives you crap, just say you want to be dropped from the DEP. You can do that, even if you already swore in.

Now if you are on the plane to MCRD and it still is open, then ya, you're gonna get whatever they give you.

Also they can't force you to go infantry. It's volunteer only, and even then, everybody is fighting for a slot.

Awesome thanks for the information, i didnt know that infantry was volunteer. im sure it may sound cooler to tell everyone you were infantry and P.O.G.s may not get as much respect but to me a marine is a marine and the people not pointing the rifle at something are just as important as the ones that are.

advanced
02-06-11, 08:02 AM
You are correct, a Marine is a Marine.