PDA

View Full Version : Active Duty Divorce

Tennessee Top
02-04-11, 11:00 AM
Just wondering how many of you lost your marriage while on active duty?

While I was on OKI for my first 12 month unaccompanied tour as a buck Sergeant, my ex and slimey civilian Jody were shacking up; she served me with divorce papers when I came back. No "dear John" letter or anything to warn me; her bags were packed and when we got to our base housing unit on Camp Pendleton, she threw her trash in our vehicle, took off, and I never saw her again. Sad thing is, I loved her and stayed faithful the entire year on the island. Boy, was I a schmuck! Back in 1979, a 10 lbs bag of rice from the commissary went a long way with the Okinawan girls!! Buy her papasan a bottle of Johnny Walker red-label scotch and you were number 1 (so I heard). Well, you can bet when I went back a decade later as a single Staff NCO, I made up for lost time!!

That experience made me gun shy with women. Have had relationships since but nothing close to getting married again. Being married was great except for the final year. I must say however, being single for the remainder of my career sure made things a lot simpler and easier to deal with.
:usmc:

0331 2 0369
02-04-11, 11:05 AM
While I was serving a year unaccompanied tour as a Military Advisor in Saudi Arabia, my first wife turned out to be a HOOOOO. ****-canned her when I got back. This time is a lot better. She is a Marine (prior service) and knew what she was getting into by marrying a grunt. :beer:

gwamo1
02-07-11, 09:50 PM
It happened to meeeee at Quantico.

Quinbo
02-07-11, 10:49 PM
I got the t-shirt on that as well. I married my second wife while on active duty as well and we are still together.

jack3reynolds
02-09-11, 03:50 AM
Sad to hear about your divorce story Tennessee Top, its all about understanding between the partners. One of my friend suffered from the same issue. But you should not loose your hope as such,not all person are of same kind. Bulkyker got the right partner after loosing his first marriage.

elliscraig12
02-09-11, 05:32 AM
This is why I never married in the Corps. I've seen this happen WAY too many times, with too many friends.

wildwoman73
02-09-11, 06:35 AM
I got off active duty after my first four TO get married.......boy.....was that ever dumb.

Old Marine
02-09-11, 09:44 AM
Been married 55 years to my high school sweetie this June. Two sons, six grand children & four great grand children later we are still together. Some marriages make it work and some have more than their share of problems.

DrZ
02-09-11, 10:11 AM
I got divorced when I had 1.5 years left in my second tour. I went to work and came home to an empty house. Perfect split...she took everything and left me with the bills for everything. lol. About 2 months prior to my EAS, I met my current wife. We have been together for over 30 years now.

Somethings are simply meant to happen!

elliscraig12
02-09-11, 11:13 AM
I got off active duty after my first four TO get married.......boy.....was that ever dumb.
A friend of mine I was stationed with at Tustin got out to save his marriage. It didn't work and he's regretted it since.

FOBU
02-09-11, 01:34 PM
same dog bit me,,,,,,i was off serving my country and she was home "servicing" everyone else..

Sergeant M
02-09-11, 01:55 PM
I think the wives should get discharge paperwork just like we do. I don't think that she would get a very good RE code. Bad Conduct Discharge at best.

Marine84
02-11-11, 07:53 AM
Sorry but, I had sense enough NOT to do it while I was in. I was in a great big candy store. I'll be 50 in August and I STILL haven't married. I think a lot like a man in that respect - if you can get the milk for free...............................don't necessarily want to buy the cow, he would mess up my house.

tripledog
02-11-11, 09:07 AM
My story is a little different.. While stationed at Pendleton, I cam home early one day and found her in tight with a friend of mine, a Sgt, who shall remain nameless.

2 months later, she found herself pregnant. Guess who had not performed "servicing" since the earlier encounter with my friend?

Since I am a very conservative, christian, I believed it to be my duty as a man to support her and the future child until it became clear that divorce was the right avenue AT THE TIME.

Of course the Sgt was never seen nor heard of again in my life or hers as far I can tell. The child became a great person and I am glad I did as I did.

Shortly thereafter, I was sent overseas for a lonnnnng time and I do not know or personally care what she did during that time, but my family assured me she was home and a good mother, never straying from her marriage vows again.

Regardless of all that, the divorce went thru right after my return. But to this day , and that was 40 plus years ago, I am glad I provided what little financial help my allotment made to her and the child.

I'll never forget what the Colonel told me when I returned from leave and informed him I had married. I know many have heard it, but it actually happened to me. He , after eating my butt from toe nail to shaved head, said "If the GD Marine corps had thought you needed a wife, by God we would have issued you one"> I really wish he had told me that before the ceremony!!

Tennessee Top
02-11-11, 12:17 PM
Guess it just goes to show Jody is alive and well and doing his thing!

rufus1
02-11-11, 03:38 PM
A good friend of mine has been married three time. He stated that everyone of his wives were good housekeepers. He said every one of his wives kept the house. That got to be kind of expensive. For myself I had a problem around 15 years the first time. Getting ready to cross that bridge in time again. We will see what happens this time around!!!!!!!!

06yz125
02-13-11, 06:07 PM
Don't know how anyone could stay married in the Marines..

Like serving two masters..

ShannonL
02-13-11, 11:49 PM
Marry a Marine!

gungygal48
02-14-11, 06:29 AM
Is Jody a guy?