PDA

View Full Version : Dealing With Disrespectful Anti-War Types

PooleeLeCates
02-04-11, 12:58 AM
I had a strange thing happen today. I was in a political argument on Facebook on someone's (who I had considered a friend) status. It was a minor exchange (or so I thought) until the girl, who knows that I joined the Marines, wrote: "P.S. Sorry to burst your bubble, because I know you'd like to pretend you're about to go fight for my freedom rather than shooting desperate poor people in a country you know nothing about. Unfortunately, sometimes reality doesn't uphold illusions very well."

For one, I don't think people owe me anything for my decision to join. I'd never try using that as leverage in an argument, and I feel that it defeats the purpose of fighting for someone's rights if I use that as ammunition against them acting on those rights. I wouldn't have brought it up, but she pre-empted it. I simply told her not to assume my motives for joining, at which point someone else chimed in: "to be a douche bag?... oh wait mr "I honestly don't know what I've said to upset both of you so deeply." didn't have to become a trained raping machine to do that..." I literally said nothing to provoke that sort of hate. Aaaanyway, he follows it up before I respond with, "Go to iraq and die ASAP please..."

I just politely informed him that Marines aren't deploying to Iraq. That he is misinformed and confused about the conflict. I was calm, polite, and received apologies from the first girl, who is the guy's girlfriend (he's probably not going to get pussy for a while based on the apology) after the exchange of words. The thing is, I KNOW I would not have handled the situation like that if it were in person - I just figured I couldn't win with keyboard rage. I probably would have said "raaaaaaaaaaalkl **** you" and hulk smashed the guy in person though.

Anyway, does anyone have any good quips or one-liner type things to keep calm? I eventually started becoming upset after attempting to disengage so I said, "You're both fat." To amuse myself, because it is true. Does that sort of disrespect happen often? How can someone who is so distant and unrelated to this conflict be so bitter and hateful towards those who might be involved?

Hamelink83
02-04-11, 02:12 AM
"freedom isn't free, but the United States Marines will pay your share"

Hamelink83
02-04-11, 02:18 AM
(in addition to the above)

OEF does not directly effect people's lives so they view it as unnecessary and void. In
all honesty, if you join in an combat arms job right now, it's because you wanna know what
combat is all about. Sure there is some serving your country thrown in, but it really comes
down to the whole warrior question, "can I perform?" or "do I have what it takes?" People
are not always accepting of it, but someone has to do the job and it's a job not meant for
everyone to do.

gkmoz
02-04-11, 07:40 AM
I was in the Corps during the heavy anti-war anti-military era.
And I know the people of that era are now in high places, they are the teachers/profs etc. of today.
and they are teaching a whole generation their ideals, Suck it up and move on with YOUR goals not theirs.
Want to be a Marine, Be a Marine and forget those people, "Ain't no thing " S/F carry on ! Moz USMC 68-70 :flag:

03Mike
02-04-11, 08:13 AM
My reply would be "Your ignorance astounds me..." and shake my head and walk away (or in this case, "unfriend" them on FB - if that's possible)

PooleeLeCates
02-04-11, 10:16 AM
03, I did do the unfriending.

Hamelink, I guess that's it lol. I joined to become a Marine, not to save the world. Do I want to go to war? I guess I can only say that want to do what Marines do, I chose Infantry. I feel differently about this now than I did last night when it happened, I think in the future I'll just say "okay" and leave people like that to fester in their own bitterness. I'm glad I took the high road in the exchange, though I think less words would have been preferable.

gkmoz, you must have had serious resolve and restraint haha

AKA HITMAN
02-04-11, 10:29 AM
I joined because I needed some direction (worked) and although I served in peacetime, I felt I had bigger balls than most of my peers who sat at home looking for the big brass ring to come to them....Military service is a frame of mind, not for those who mock or look down on those who do serve...Service runs in the family, always has, always will.

Burke7051
02-04-11, 10:43 AM
Listen, lets face it, the sad reality is that OEF has now been going on longer than the Vietnam War. Its no wonder that most Americans don't really care about the war any longer. With massive unemployment, recession, and other domestic issues, most Americans have put OEF and OIF on the back burner and see the conflicts as irrelevant and a waste of tax payer Dollars. Regardless though of how someone feels, you join the Marines for your own personal reasons, not to be branded as a murderer. You join to defend their right and freedom to say these things. They don't see it, but that's part of the reason your joining and you wear the uniform, so these people sadly have the right to say some of these things you described. However, you think what you like, let them think what they like, and just move on, and all shall be good my friend.:marine:

DanM
02-04-11, 11:13 AM
[quote=PooleeLeCates;734318]

The thing is, I KNOW I would not have handled the situation like that if it were in person - I just figured I couldn't win with keyboard rage. I probably would have said "raaaaaaaaaaalkl **** you" and hulk smashed the guy in person though.

quote]

Dumb Poolee syndrome.........attempt to use force to prove your point,get arrested for assault,kiss any chance of becoming a Marine good bye.

indygti
02-04-11, 12:26 PM
Some people deserve to be hulk smashed.

Vandrel
02-04-11, 12:28 PM
And Falcon punched

Beltayn
02-04-11, 01:18 PM
I like to counter by asking them what they feel the most humanitarian course of action is to ensure that Baluchistan does not destabilize, secede, and cause the devolution of Pakistan and the compromise of that country's nuclear assets to Islamic fundamentalists?

Normally the completely blank looks of incomprehension that follow allow me to calmly and rationally outline to the speaker how completely uninformed they are about the entire geographic region. I then invite them to reconcile their statements of demands for immediate withdrawal in the light of the revelations they had thus received. They never can.

TheReservist
02-04-11, 03:51 PM
I think in the future I'll just say "okay" and leave people like that to fester in their own bitterness.

That's the answer

Tennessee Top
02-04-11, 08:22 PM
This is America and those people have every right to believe the way they believe. We wear the uniform and fight our enemies to protect that very right. They will never get it but that's OK. We made the choice to fight for them regardless if they want us to or not; if they don't appreciate it that's on them...there are plenty of Americans who do recognize the price we pay and show their appreciation every day. Don't waste your time debating the haters; they're not going away. Devote your time to our Corps values honor, courage, and committment and everything will take care of itself.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-05-11, 01:27 AM
Typical snot nosed, pampered, vegan, twit. They believe everything they've been 'force fed' on TV, MTV and the 'news'. Having never had to so much as fight for a place in LINE at the local movieplex much less their lives, they are protected by professionals (cops, firefighters, EMT's) who allow them the freedom to have useless opinions. Those professionals are themselves protected by Marines (and the rest of the military), and thus the circle of life continues LOL.

Ten years from now, I promise you, that same peabrain will come up to you at your HS reunion, and even if a flaming massive liberal, 'thank' you for your service. Maybe she'll have grown up a bit. Nonetheless, you'll be the bigger person, having done something bigger than her, yourself, and beyond the reason or understanding of most of 'Amurka' nowadays.

Thus endeth the lesson.

sparkie
02-05-11, 07:58 AM
One time I injected about 5 seconds of violence into the situation. Dec '69. I don't recommend it. [ but it felt damm good at the time].

sparkie
02-05-11, 08:10 AM
I doubt it changed any minds, and in hindsight I wish I hadn't done it. I was just a dumb 18 yr old, fresh outta ITR.

haebyungdae
02-05-11, 08:11 AM
First off for myself, I try to not get into any debates with people via the internet, though I have before, because without the human factor associated with debate there are too many things that are assumed and misunderstand by both sides. This leads to there being no possible productive solution, outcome, or anything by anyone. So I would first and foremost just tell you to avoid internet debates.

I will however debate people in person. People's true knowledge on a subject will show when you take away their ability to Google punchlines from behind their 42 inch computer screen. Also, when you add in the human factor, there is more a chance for a productive debate. I don't have any one liners to help you, but I would say the best thing for you to do is to research the subject. Research the facts, not left or right side information that has probably been skewed in the desired direction, but the straight facts. And if that person can't listen and agree with the facts then they are an idiot and you shouldn't waste your time on them.

PaChace
02-07-11, 01:12 PM
This is America and those people have every right to believe the way they believe. We wear the uniform and fight our enemies to protect that very right. They will never get it but that's OK. We made the choice to fight for them regardless if they want us to or not; if they don't appreciate it that's on them...there are plenty of Americans who do recognize the price we pay and show their appreciation every day. Don't waste your time debating the haters; they're not going away. Devote your time to our Corps values honor, courage, and committment and everything will take care of itself.

I agree with this completely

New York
02-07-11, 06:00 PM
Dont let it upset you, they will never understand, but we do and always will.

A good Marine buddy of mine once told me this during a deep conversation.

He said,

"They will never know what its like to have your friends warm blood turn cold in your hands"

crazymjb
02-09-11, 09:13 AM
People have the right to think what ever they want to think, say whatever they want to say, which is what you will defend. While it is unfortunate that some people respond so scathingly to what we do, but there are plenty of smart people who have a less than positive outlook on OEF, including in the military. This doesn't mean you make up BS about killing innocent people, but not all arguments are necessarily completely invalid, and by responding intelligently you will always gain more respect.

As a Marine, your job is to complete missions and bring your friends home alive. As long as that mission is legal (IE not martial law or some crap that isn't constitutional, remember, enemies can be both foreign and domestic, and your loyalty is to the constitution) you complete it, let those "wiser" worry about the politics. If you really have that much of a problem with something, when you get out, use your political influence to change it, hell vote while your in.

Good luck, and don't take things too personally.

Mike