PDA

View Full Version : 29 Palms question

foreverproud
02-03-11, 10:23 PM
Does 3 weeks in 29 Palms with/in/?? Mojave Viper Support Detachment likely to mean pre-deployment preparation?

0351 Corporal
02-03-11, 10:34 PM
Does 3 weeks in 29 Palms with/in/?? Mojave Viper Support Detachment likely to mean pre-deployment preparation?

Mojave Viper training was meant to do one thing only: Train Marines to deploy to Afghanistan. When I went to Mojave Viper (in 2005) it was only meant for Afghanistan training, although it might be ment for Iraq training aswell. One thing is for sure though, Mojave Viper is pre-deployment training for deployment to the middle east.

With that said, Mojave Viper and Mojave Viper Support Detachment (MVSD) are two completely different areas. While Mojave Viper is a training evolution to train Marines, MVSD is to maintain and run the training evolutions.

MVSD Mission:
Mojave Viper Support Detachment (MVSD) provides Combat Service Support and facility management functions aboard Camp Wilson ISO service level pre-deployment training, the MAGTF Training Program, and operating force's training IOT enable realistic training in an expeditionary environment.

Phantom Blooper
02-03-11, 10:35 PM
My answer would be possibility....

Part of the pre deployment workup for grunts to get desert training years ago was to go to 29 Stumps for 3 weeks to a month.....from the CLNC area.

So it could be possible without knowing.....but I am a betting man so I would say yes.....unless it was only for a school.

Someone with todays know how should able to give you a definite.

Phantom Blooper
02-03-11, 10:36 PM
See I knew I knew half way what I was talking about.:beer:

foreverproud
02-03-11, 10:51 PM
Thanks ... 0351Corporal and Phantom Blooper. As you probably figured I'm trying to piece together what little information I'm allowed ... lol ... my son is a man of few words and never any detail. Just trying to prepare myself.

I appreciate the information.

0351 Corporal
02-03-11, 11:06 PM
Thanks ... 0351Corporal and Phantom Blooper. As you probably figured I'm trying to piece together what little information I'm allowed ... lol ... my son is a man of few words and never any detail. Just trying to prepare myself.

I appreciate the information.

If you really want to know what your son will be doing, go to the following sites, they will explain in detail everything you want to know:

http://www.militarynewcomers.com/29PALMS/resources/03_mission.html

Your son's job is under the EXERCISE SUPPORT BASE (MOJAVE VIPER SUPPORT DETACHMENT) portion of the page.

http://www.marines.mil/unit/29palms/MVSD/Pages/poc.aspx

This is a list of point of contacts if you have any issues regarding not knowing whats going on. The Marine Corps wants parents to know their Marines are doing ok.

foreverproud
02-03-11, 11:36 PM
Thanks again 0351Corporal ... I've bookmarked the site and returning there after I post.

I should explain that when I asked my son where he was going to be at 29 Palms for 3 weeks he simply said that he was going to be where he had been before. Well... I remembered "Mojave Viper" from the last time and when I googled Mojave Viper, Mojave Viper Support Detachment came up on the list and it sounded very official. So, he has not mentioned anything to me about another deployment although I'm well aware that there will probably be another one.

I truly appreciate the link and the info...