PDA

View Full Version : The Marine Corps Chow Hall

CplVex
02-03-11, 04:59 PM
Hey whats up everyone. I got a question for any single Marine or anyone who's ever eaten at the chow hall.

Heres some background first. I'm in a writing class that I attend after work and we have to write an augmentative essay. A few days ago I was in the line for chow and I was told I couldn't get potatoes because I have noodles and I couldn't get green beans because I had carrots. Well, I didn't really care but I do however believe that I could write a paper about the fact that the chow hall wont serve Marines what they ask for. I could understand maybe someone who's on BCP and they limit what they can get but I make weight and get first class everything so I'm not in the category.

Heres where I need some help. I'm just looking for you're opinion on the matter. Do you think it's strange that you can't get what you want at the chow hall? Why? I mean, we do pay for it. Marines PT so it shouldn't be weight issues. Any and all input would appreciated.

josephd
02-03-11, 05:13 PM
1 starch, 1 veggie, and 1 protein

I never understood this and think its complete garbage. Especially for Marine like myself that need as much caloric intake as possible in order to stay at a healthy weight. Obviously there is a reasoning behind it that some heavy brass came up with. My biggest problem with it is...who are these nasty civilian chow hall workers that they get to tell us what we can or cannot eat. They need to keep their mouths shut and put on my plate whatever I want.

Tennessee Top
02-03-11, 05:57 PM
I'm sure it's a cost issue; don't think all the messhalls can afford to be buffet style. The civilian servers are just following procedures; if it were up to them I'm sure they would give you whatever you wanted.

ggyoung
02-03-11, 05:58 PM
#1 where is this chow hall at? I have a problem with you not getting what you want. Is this a Marine chow hall? The thing to do is go to your 1st Sgt and tell him. I remember when I had the duty NCO we were required to go to evening chow and write in the log book what we thought about the meal. If you wrote something bad about the chow and the next morning when the 1st read the log he would ask you about it and if he thought it was something that should be corrected you the 1et and the skipper went to the mess sgt. and it would be corrected at that time.

Juicemang
02-03-11, 06:03 PM
#1 where is this chow hall at? I have a problem with you not getting what you want. Is this a Marine chow hall? The thing to do is go to your 1st Sgt and tell him. I remember when I had the duty NCO we were required to go to evening chow and write in the log book what we thought about the meal. If you wrote something bad about the chow and the next morning when the 1st read the log he would ask you about it and if he thought it was something that should be corrected you the 1et and the skipper went to the mess sgt. and it would be corrected at that time.

While I was active (2004-2008) that was the job of the OOD, not the DNCO.

But yes, we could never get double starches, double veggies or double meats. It's the system that's in place at Marine Corps chow halls, else Marines would be smashing through chicken cordon bleau at breathtaking rates. Yut!

1stRad2671
02-03-11, 06:04 PM
I never had any problem getting whatever I wanted.

I could've stuffed my face with a dozen pieces of cake and pie if I wanted. :D

Zulu 36
02-03-11, 06:05 PM
Hey whats up everyone. I got a question for any single Marine or anyone who's ever eaten at the chow hall.

Heres some background first. I'm in a writing class that I attend after work and we have to write an augmentative essay. A few days ago I was in the line for chow and I was told I couldn't get potatoes because I have noodles and I couldn't get green beans because I had carrots. Well, I didn't really care but I do however believe that I could write a paper about the fact that the chow hall wont serve Marines what they ask for. I could understand maybe someone who's on BCP and they limit what they can get but I make weight and get first class everything so I'm not in the category.

Heres where I need some help. I'm just looking for you're opinion on the matter. Do you think it's strange that you can't get what you want at the chow hall? Why? I mean, we do pay for it. Marines PT so it shouldn't be weight issues. Any and all input would appreciated.

I think you mean an "argumentative" essay.

When I was in the Corps (71-78), as I remember, we pretty much got whatever we wanted and could go back for seconds and thirds as well. Portion sizes were decent and I never ate in a bad Marine Corps chow hall (can't say that about the Army, Navy, and Air Force). Of course, back then, Marines ran everything in the chow hall. I think that's how it should still be.

Old Marine
02-03-11, 06:09 PM
I wondered how long it would take for the civilians working in the Chow Halls to start this kind of BS. When civilians are involved in anything, it really does not take very long for it o turn into a Chinese Fire Drill. Go to your First Shirt and if he cannot help you take it on up the chain to Request Mast. hese are the kind of things that the CG does not know about and I am sure he would like to know that his Marines are not getting enough food at the mess hall.

HOWARDROARK3043
02-03-11, 06:23 PM
Hey Lazy Ass Boot ----why Dont You Just Go Up For Seconds Or Thirds------ boots want to argue about everything,, till they get pimped slapped old school style

josephd
02-03-11, 06:28 PM
..else Marines would be smashing through chicken cordon bleau at breathtaking rates. Yut!

hahahahaha..

i literally laughed out loud and almost spit my soda all over my computer

Just like a lot of other things in the Corps, its a broken system but it is what it is for a reason. That reason is obviously beyond almost all of us but the little steps need to be taken to fix it.

0351Griggs
02-03-11, 08:08 PM
I agree...Go to the first shirt...he will do something if it has merit. You do have merit. My Battalion Commander was always asking "How's the chow" it was his pet peeve. He actually stood in line with the enlisted once in a while and caught us coming out the door a couple times.

Officers...Especially on ships. Eat like Kings.

How do I know?

I asked for mess duty every chance I could. I ate very well as a result. You may get the pot shack or scullery at first. But the more duty you pull? The better jobs you will get. You also get higher appearance and conduct marks working in the chow hall than in your grunt unit (I'm 0351)

sparkie
02-03-11, 08:30 PM
Go to the ville, buy a 25 cent huge plate o fried rice. Guess I dated myself.

dback13
02-03-11, 08:38 PM
I'm sure it's a cost issue; don't think all the messhalls can afford to be buffet style. The civilian servers are just following procedures; if it were up to them I'm sure they would give you whatever you wanted.

Thing is, you can go up as much as you want. You just can't pick the combo of stuff you want.

leprechaun9544
02-04-11, 12:54 AM
Well, speaking as a Marine Cook (1962-65) things must have certainly changed. Back in the day, we served as much as anyone requested (within reason) with no restrictions as to what they could or could not have. I agree, if civilians are running the messhalls now, then it will certainly be a clusterf---! :evilgrin:

Vietvet1968
02-04-11, 01:58 AM
I stand in " AWE " reading some of the comments about being served food in the chow hall. Surely some of my BROTHERS on this site enlisted before me and went to P.I. ( 28 May 1965 ).
When we were in line at the chow hall, it was with our tray held directly in front of our face and when coming to the server the tray was lowered to a special level and it and arms extended straight out and retracted when the item was placed on the tray. Arriving at our table we all stood with our trays straight out at attention until other recruits filled the table. Then one of the DI's would come over and yell, " Ready, seats ". Many times repeating this telling us " girls " to get it together. I DID NOT ATTEND A " BOOT CAMP " WHERE ANYONE CHOSE THEIR FOOD but instead seldomn got to finish it.
I am shocked beyond believe to read the contents of the chow hall post.

SEMPER FIDELIS BROTHERS,
Vietvet1968@comcast.net
Roger Dale Stewart:p

josephd
02-04-11, 02:04 AM
I stand in " AWE " reading some of the comments about being served food in the chow hall. Surely some of my BROTHERS on this site enlisted before me and went to P.I. ( 28 May 1965 ).
When we were in line at the chow hall, it was with our tray held directly in front of our face and when coming to the server the tray was lowered to a special level and it and arms extended straight out and retracted when the item was placed on the tray. Arriving at our table we all stood with our trays straight out at attention until other recruits filled the table. Then one of the DI's would come over and yell, " Ready, seats ". Many times repeating this telling us " girls " to get it together. I DID NOT ATTEND A " BOOT CAMP " WHERE ANYONE CHOSE THEIR FOOD but instead seldomn got to finish it.

This thread isn't about the chow hall at boot camp, you get far more and better chow at boot camp than anywhere else anyway.

m14ed
02-04-11, 06:01 AM
That's a NewCorps Question.
With a lot of (GREAT) Old Corps Answers.

[m14ed] 7:02 am: we ate good , i gotta say that , other than sometimes starving in the field.
But that was due to the conditions , not the policy

Supersquishy
02-04-11, 06:41 AM
Be glad you get to eat, on that note, the Salad Bar is unlimited as far as I know, if you want more veggies, start at the salad bar, second if you want more starch, again at the salad bar, it usually is stacked with pasta salad, if you want more protien, hit up the cottage cheese. Just be aware of how much dressing you use.geeze, I dont see any argument at the chow hall except they need to stock Tabbasco not Texas Pete.

Beltayn
02-04-11, 08:53 AM
Thing is, you can go up as much as you want. You just can't pick the combo of stuff you want.

This is correct.
It's a human behavioral thing.

Have you ever made the mistake of going grocery shopping when you are hungry? What happens? You get to the check out line and have a $400 grocery bill because you put the entire store in your cart.

The same principle applies to dining. When people come through the line, they are hungry, and when they see all this good food, they want some of everything. 90% of them, however, aren't actually hungry enough to eat a portion of every single thing being served on the line.
What happens is they get halfway through what is on their plate, yawn, loosen their belt, stretch back contentedly, and decide they are full. This equals huge quantities of left-overs which equals wasted food.

You DO rate seconds. This ensures that you are actually hungry enough for more food and it won't go to waste, because you have to finish what you already got first before going back to get more. This prevents waste of food.

Make sense?

As an aside, you are always free to fill out comment cards for your mess hall experience, and I assure you they absolutely ARE read, taken seriously, and result in corrective action.

Apache
02-04-11, 09:49 AM
Agree with Viet Vet on Boot chow hall
those maggots are lucky to get any chow

Once in the Fleet the standard was take all you want-ear all you take

leprechaun9544
02-04-11, 10:02 AM

SEMPER FIDELIS BROTHERS,
Vietvet1968@comcast.net
Roger Dale Stewart:p

Roger, you are absolutely right as far as bootcamp and the messhall. I think, the original post referred to after bootcamp (I could be mistaken):confused:

AKA HITMAN
02-04-11, 10:17 AM
My memory has faded over the years....SOS was the meal I craved, don't know why...prolly something to do with a hangover. Cured it every time.

oldmarine2011
02-04-11, 10:28 AM
I didn't like it when the 'Corps contracted our food services to civilians, seems now you have to pay for your food in the chow halls and the food isn't that good as it used to be. There was a time back in 1969, when the division CG would come around and inspect the messhalls on the base and changes with the food quality were changed for the better. If you have to pay for your food now, it makes sense that it should be for free and you should be able to take as much as you can eat!. oldmarine2011

leprechaun9544
02-04-11, 10:28 AM
My memory has faded over the years....SOS was the meal I craved, don't know why...prolly something to do with a hangover. Cured it every time.

Indeed ! Liked making it, liked eating it. Fact is I still make it after all these years, and my kids and grandkids often request it for chow. :)

oldmarine2011
02-04-11, 10:29 AM
:evilgrin::flag:
I didn't like it when the 'Corps contracted our food services to civilians, seems now you have to pay for your food in the chow halls and the food isn't that good as it used to be. There was a time back in 1969, when the division CG would come around and inspect the messhalls on the base and changes with the food quality were changed for the better. If you have to pay for your food now, it makes sense that it should be for free and you should be able to take as much as you can eat!. oldmarine2011

leprechaun9544
02-04-11, 11:18 AM
OK, all these posts have served up a lot of memories for this Ol Marine Cook ! During my time in the messhall (1962-65) I recall we served up some darned fine chow 99% of the time....steaks, chops, soups, multiple salads and baked goods. I know for a fact that we NEVER served powdered eggs, or powdered milk....it was always fresh, even when we were cooking out in the field. Back then, we took a lot of pride in what we put out on the chowline. I do recall one instance when some boot 2nd Lt. was OD, and as was the custom, he came in and wrote his comments on the days worksheet, regarding the meal. He wrote "Unfit for human consumption" ! Well, our Mess Sgt. read that, and went ballistic....tracked down the Lt., and insisted he change the comments, and apologize to the cooks....which he did !
We always knew when the troops were happy, because they were *****in' about the chow. When we hit Okinawa during our 13 month FMF Far East tour, all we heard was..."Why can't we have chow as good as we had at Pendleton ?"...and then when we got back to Pendleton it was...."Why can't we have chow as good as we had in Okinawa ?"
If the Marine messhalls are now being run by civilians, its a shame...you can't get any better that a good 'ol Marine Cook. Speaking for myself, I was very proud to be a Marine Cook, and I still enjoy cooking today....almost 50 years later, and I thank the Marine Corps for teaching how to cook.
Would love to get my hands on an original set of Marine Corps Messhall Recipe Cards for the 1960's....we had some great recipes. And, if there any other Marine Cooks out there, would love to hear from you !
OK, putting down my spatula, and shutting up now....Semper Fi Marines ! :usmc:

jamielang1951
02-04-11, 12:00 PM
I remember a sigh at the chow hall, "Take all your want but eat all your take". And I always did, on both accounts.

Wyoming
02-04-11, 12:24 PM
Saw the same sign at ITR. I thought I would never finish the tray full. Never saw so much food!!

AlohaMarine
02-04-11, 01:38 PM
Hey Lazy Ass Boot ----why Dont You Just Go Up For Seconds Or Thirds------ boots want to argue about everything,, till they get pimped slapped old school style

Classic.

Juicemang
02-04-11, 02:19 PM
OK, all these posts have served up a lot of memories for this Ol Marine Cook ! During my time in the messhall (1962-65) I recall we served up some darned fine chow 99% of the time....steaks, chops, soups, multiple salads and baked goods. I know for a fact that we NEVER served powdered eggs, or powdered milk....it was always fresh, even when we were cooking out in the field. Back then, we took a lot of pride in what we put out on the chowline. I do recall one instance when some boot 2nd Lt. was OD, and as was the custom, he came in and wrote his comments on the days worksheet, regarding the meal. He wrote "Unfit for human consumption" ! Well, our Mess Sgt. read that, and went ballistic....tracked down the Lt., and insisted he change the comments, and apologize to the cooks....which he did !
We always knew when the troops were happy, because they were *****in' about the chow. When we hit Okinawa during our 13 month FMF Far East tour, all we heard was..."Why can't we have chow as good as we had at Pendleton ?"...and then when we got back to Pendleton it was...."Why can't we have chow as good as we had in Okinawa ?"
If the Marine messhalls are now being run by civilians, its a shame...you can't get any better that a good 'ol Marine Cook. Speaking for myself, I was very proud to be a Marine Cook, and I still enjoy cooking today....almost 50 years later, and I thank the Marine Corps for teaching how to cook.
Would love to get my hands on an original set of Marine Corps Messhall Recipe Cards for the 1960's....we had some great recipes. And, if there any other Marine Cooks out there, would love to hear from you !
OK, putting down my spatula, and shutting up now....Semper Fi Marines ! :usmc:

Spoken like a warrior. Semper Fi Marine!

Casedizzy2821
02-04-11, 11:32 PM
They usually let you get unlimited vegetables. But ya, 1 starch.<O:p</O:p

jumpinjack
02-05-11, 12:42 AM
MCRD SD 1968, march into chow hall, trays held midhigh, eyes straight forward, lips buttoned, recieve the food, READY SEAT EAT, maybe ya got 1 minute worth in your pie holes before you heard ATTENTION Trays ladies LEFT FACE forward march. You shoveled in as much as you possible , and how many remember salt peter??

SEMPER FI

m14ed
02-05-11, 05:42 AM
Complaining was Natural, BUT to tell the truth ??? The most expensive meal the Corps put out, from what the MessCooks said , was HORSECOCK on Thursday ,, and Ironicaly, that was my least favorite....

tripledog
02-05-11, 06:54 PM
LOL me and Vietvet got the same treatment, except if we did not CLEAN our plates, the third world war broke out from our DIs.

Get what you want? Your kidding I hope !!!

We got what them dam drunk cooks cooked and most times it was either uncooked or burned to pieces.

**** powered eggs were the norm, and dick eaasement was the salt and pepper part of it. Steaks ? porkchops? I think you are meaning balona and fake cheese my friend, or we sure werent in Pendleton together.

And the sorry azz Navy served better SOS than any cook in the Marines.

dback13
02-05-11, 07:19 PM
Who the fu*k said we were talking about boot camp? You do realize that boot amp is a tiny part of what you actually do in the Marine Corps?

CplVex
02-06-11, 12:43 AM
Thank you for the information to those of you understood the question I had.

About boot camp chow, I've been out of boot camp for a while now. I really don't remember it too much. After 2 deployments, thats the last thing on my mind. I never talked about boot camp. Clearly I didn't get what I wanted there. Also, I'm not complaining about the chow hall. I'm one of the few people who actually eat all three of my meals there. I'm only asking for peoples opinion on what they think with the fact you can't get whats being served on the line. In todays Marine Corps, in the fleet, we don't hold our trays out in front of us and scream at everything. We leave the screaming and craziness on the battlefield where it belongs.

Quinbo
02-06-11, 12:51 AM
When I was stationed at Quantico we had a snow storm that shut half the state down for a whole week. There was a Corporal that worked in the mess hall that not only snow blowed the sidewalk so you could make it to chow but also ensured that 3 meals a day were served there. The first couple of days we didn't even have electricity. Rain or shine we were fed and thank-ful for it.

When those vac cans come off the helicoptor you don't give a chit what's in them. You are thank ful for hot chow.

Tennessee Top
02-06-11, 03:38 AM
Ate in a lot of messhalls during my career. Never had a bad meal that I can remember. Breakfast was always outstanding. Also don't remember leaving hungry. We normally left breakfast with some sort of fresh fruit like an apple, banana, or orange in our pocket. At Camp LeJeune, we usually left lunch and dinner with an ice cream cone. Holiday meals were always extravagant.

The best messhall I remember was at Henderson Hall in Arlington, VA. HQMC is right across the street and the Pentagon is just down the road so you never know when the Commandant or the SgtMaj of the USMC might walk in. Besides the great chow, there were always nice decorations set out around the dining facility. I remember it won lots of small dining facility awards.

There was another thing I noticed about Henderson Hall while I was there for MSG School back in 1974. That's where they sent the majority of the good-looking Women Marines. Guess they worked at HQMC or the Pentagon too. Never saw so many good-looking WM's in one place before or since.

Juicemang
02-07-11, 10:55 AM
Damn, I need orders to HQMC apparently!

gwamo1
02-07-11, 09:43 PM
I always liked all the Marine Corps chow halls I ate at. Best ever was on Kinser, in Okinawa 06-07. It just seemed to be LCpl ran, with the NCOs in the back, out of sight. Plus they seemed to have more Marine cooks and servers and they always hooked you up. Then I went to foster and they had too many rules, SNCOs cared too much and blah blah blah. Kinser was the best I always though. Quantico was ok...

Vietvet1968
02-08-11, 10:13 AM
josephd,:flag:

Always been tough to admit when I'm wrong.After reading all the post several times, it finally sinks in Chow Hall Food is about "Base" Food which was alway fabulous. It is my miscomprehension of things that led me to this misunderstanding. Will try doing better with my comprehension of things in the future. Thanks for setting me straight BROTHER.

SEMPER FIDELIS,
Vietvet1968@comcast.net
Roger Dale Stewart:usmc:

SGT7477
02-08-11, 01:57 PM
I could eat SOS everyday, Semper Fidelis.:flag:

SGT7477
02-08-11, 02:00 PM
I thought the army got fed the best, sure seemed that way on the Rock, Semper Fidelis.

HereandThere
02-08-11, 10:06 PM
From my experience the smaller the base the better the food.
My last base, a Reserve detachment,most food was cooked to order.
But nothing compared to when I had a stop over at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma.
I thought I had died and went to the Culinary Institute of America.
Those fly boys had it good.

06yz125
02-09-11, 06:00 PM
Since when did civilians start cooking/serving chow in the Marines??

My experience is lots of good food. While stationed at Quantico, I did
the 30 day mess duty in the officer chow hall. I was the GI man..LOL
we used to stash beer back there for everyone <smile> never got as
drunk on duty as being the GI man. We used to get up around 0400
drink a six pack after breakfast..work lunch..go to lunga resivoir for
a 12 pack..work dinner then another 12-18 beers before getting up at
0400 to do it again. Funny as **** now..this went on for 30 days.

Noticed the officers were fed better than us enlisted...but our chow was
good enough for me and plentiful.

tdrt
02-09-11, 06:09 PM
The best messhall I remember was at Henderson Hall in Arlington, VA. HQMC is right across the street and the Pentagon is just down the road so you never know when the Commandant or the SgtMaj of the USMC might walk in. Besides the great chow, there were always nice decorations set out around the dining facility. I remember it won lots of small dining facility awards.

There was another thing I noticed about Henderson Hall while I was there for MSG School back in 1974. That's where they sent the majority of the good-looking Women Marines. Guess they worked at HQMC or the Pentagon too. Never saw so many good-looking WM's in one place before or since.

Hell ya -- that's where I was, both Pentagon then HQMC. Not in '74, of course, and I really don't think you want to know where I was. But ya, Henderson Hall did have a great chow hall. Quantico wasn't so bad, but Yuma's sucked -- except for breakfast but hard to screw up breakfast.

Sergeant M
02-09-11, 06:20 PM
Since when did civilians start cooking/serving chow in the Marines??

It has been that way since I joined in 2005. I believe it is actually part of community program. I have talked to a couple of the people that work there, and they say that the workers are either mentally handicapped or recently incarcerated. I don't think that is the cooks, but the other employees that work there. They had the same type of workers at the Air Force base in Little Rock, Arkansas as well. We had one guy that was responsible for picking up the trays after people were finished, but he was a bit over zealous about the job and would either hover over you and mouth breath into your ear, or he would snatch up your tray when you got up to refill your cup or grab an apple.

06yz125
02-09-11, 09:06 PM
I suppose the civilian cook/server thing works. Always wondered why Marines
were doing kitchen/cook duty. Now that I think about it though..

Marine cooks were some tough ****ers. They were loyal, trustworthy, hardworking and would cover another Marines ass at the expense of his own.

I watched one cook kill a cat with a pot. The poor kitty wandered into the
kitchen looking for food...LOLOL

He had a zero tolerance policy for unsanitary conditions.

charm1110
02-16-11, 05:48 PM
Well I never had a problem with the quantity of food given at the chow hall. We were encouraged to eat as much as needed. I did however have one experience of poor preparation, it came on a day when...

leprechaun9544
02-16-11, 06:05 PM
Think you handled exactly the way you should have, and the SNCO got exactly what he deserved...no excuse for ill prepared food being put out on the chow line (speaking as a proud Marine Cook)...

sparkie
02-16-11, 06:10 PM
Just be glad 'soul food nite' is no more. Fridays had no food for us average 'white guys'.

leprechaun9544
02-16-11, 06:15 PM
Just be glad 'soul food nite' is no more. Fridays had no food for us average 'white guys'.

Soul Food Nite.....thats a new one on me, but we did fix a variety of seafood on Fridays...hated having to bread oysters...ugh !

Old Marine
02-16-11, 06:34 PM
I have always remembered Friday evening chow as being Fish Eaters Heaven.

sparkie
02-16-11, 06:34 PM
It was to appease during the race wars of '70-'71. It stunk. Chiltins filled all the breathable air.

R Landry
02-16-11, 07:11 PM
For most of my reserve year, I was an MP with my Lafayette, Louisiana unit. For the summer months off from college, I transferred to my Tampa, Florida Amtrac unit to work construction with my dad.

Since I could not drive or fix a tractor, they made me a cook. Great duty except for waking up at 3:00am to start cooking bacon. I even got a meritorious promotion to E-4.

Swampfox
02-16-11, 07:45 PM
I can't say that Marine Corps chow was bad at all. In fact, it was pretty darn good. I spent my fair share of time on mess duty and got in with the cooks as good as I could. There wasn't anyone better to know in the field than a cook. Like 06yz125 said, Cooks are tough and loyal and they could throw down with the best of them. Some of them were even a little crazy if you ask me but not a better bunch of guys to know and have your back. Back to the original post though. I know one of the reasons that you're limited as far as what you can get each time through the chow line is so the people cooking the chow can keep up. Take for instance, grilled cheese sandwiches, they are cooked on usually only one (maybe two but probably only one) grill with a limited amount of space so only a certain amount can be cooked at once. If they let everybody get 2 grilled cheese sandwiches when they went through the line the cooks wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand and they would run out. Marine Corps chow halls don't run out of a listed menu item. Ever. And if they do it's a pretty serious thing. At least when I was in it was. Put yourself in the shoes of the people tasked with preparing the food.

leprechaun9544
02-16-11, 07:47 PM
I have always remembered Friday evening chow as being Fish Eaters Heaven.

They were indeed :thumbup:

leprechaun9544
02-16-11, 07:49 PM
I can't say that Marine Corps chow was bad at all. In fact, it was pretty darn good. I spent my fair share of time on mess duty and got in with the cooks as good as I could. There wasn't anyone better to know in the field than a cook. Like 06yz125 said, Cooks are tough and loyal and they could throw down with the best of them. Some of them were even a little crazy if you ask me but not a better bunch of guys to know and have your back. Back to the original post though. I know one of the reasons that you're limited as far as what you can get each time through the chow line is so the people cooking the chow can keep up. Take for instance, grilled cheese sandwiches, they are cooked on usually only one (maybe two but probably only one) grill with a limited amount of space so only a certain amount can be cooked at once. If they let everybody get 2 grilled cheese sandwiches when they went through the line the cooks wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand and they would run out. Marine Corps chow halls don't run out of a listed menu item. Ever. And if they do it's a pretty serious thing. At least when I was in it was. Put yourself in the shoes of the people tasked with preparing the food.

Swampfox, we cooks thank you for your kind words !

Swampfox
02-16-11, 07:52 PM
Swampfox, we cooks thank you for your kind words !

Semper Fi Devil Dog. Thank you for your service!

Old Marine
02-16-11, 08:26 PM
Belly Robbers were always the best friends of Supply personnel.

SlingerDun
02-16-11, 11:54 PM
I'm only asking for peoples opinion on what they think with the fact you can't get whats being served on the line.My first thought's: ~*_$)(#!. Alright, i'll play the mans game and stagger food groups through-out the day.

But my underlying plan would always be: Who's got the huss? and how do i get in on it....

leprechaun9544
02-17-11, 12:36 AM
Belly Robbers were always the best friends of Supply personnel.

Yep, all us H&S Marines stuck together !

Old Marine
02-17-11, 08:45 AM
My first thought's: ~*_$)(#!. Alright, i'll play the mans game and stagger food groups through-out the day.

But my underlying plan would always be: Who's got the huss? and how do i get in on it....

"Who got the huss"

Haven't heard that one in a lt of years.:evilgrin:

CrockettJW
02-17-11, 10:58 AM
I think they started doing civilians in Marine chow halls in 1989 or 1990. I remember the transition and the reason behind it made sense. The Corps spend tons of money training people to do their jobs, then once a year for E-3 and below, these guys would get stuck on mess duty for 30 days of thankless work. Hiring civilians was supposed to be less expensive and better for morale.

Sheila Hays
02-19-11, 10:24 PM
I remember at Parris Island, we ate whatever they put on our tray. I didn't care, I was always hungry. When I got to MCRD San Diego, I got up early and put on my uniform. We were served steak and eggs, best meal of the week If I ran out of money, I always made it to the chow hall.
We got taco's at the EM club for 25 cents, I made rank as fast as possible. Also if you are dating another Marine, he would take me out to dinner or brunch. Semper Fi

DeniseFM
04-18-12, 10:12 PM
I see the last time someone posted on this thread was last year. But I'll comment anyway. First thank you Swamp Fox for the kind words about our chow hall food. :-)
Civilians started working earlier than 89 - 90. At least at Lejeune- French Creek. I want to say it was in 1988, because in '89 I had my oldest son and they had been working there for quite awhile. The first company contracted was Moore's Cafeteria. I can't remember when they took finally took over the cooking duties on Mainside or over at Johnson.

As for the portions, food choices. THAT is not the civilian's fault. I remember quite often the verbal abuse from the guys on the other side of the line when our Marine Messmen had to tell them it was a choice between starch and vegetable. And even when we supported them, the guys on the other side of the line chewed us out as well. It wasn't our choice nor was it due to cost, it was part of the menu set up if you will. Can't rightly remember off hand which manual it came out of, but it was HQ FS MC.

However with that said, we cooks sometime broke those rules at our discretion. Of course the time of the meal came into play and exactly how much of that item remained. My era, after graduating school was Feb 1983-Nov 1992 working in the chow hall.

FistFu68
04-18-12, 10:24 PM
:beer: There are Two Marines You don't wanna P**S off a Parachute Rigger and a USMC Cook...cause I'm telling Yah both of them can really Ruin your Day!!!If you know where I'm coming from? Semper Fi :D :iwo:

DeniseFM
04-18-12, 11:02 PM
LOL Absolutely!!! I can tell you a few horror stories the guys used to tell me about how cooks got even. As for the parachute rigger....I've got a great imagination!;)

carrvy1
04-19-12, 07:18 AM
Very interesting thread, to see how time changes. I was wondering what happened to the Field Chow halls, are they also run by civilians?

ridingcrops
04-19-12, 09:35 AM
Back in the day you could get what you wnated and go back for seconds on vegetables bread and potaotes but never meat. But then we had KP and we had our own cooks and we, like the other service branches took care of ourselves. Now for some reason, I suspect to help out political friends, they farm that stuff out.

Gale
04-19-12, 09:59 AM
For your thesis I would make it that the Marine Corps should go to a more choice based chow hall menu while maintaining the same physical standards (I mean, it makes sense). For your arguments I would use the idea of Marine welfare (happy Marines = good), economic impact (we pay for those meals!) and nutritional value (why can't you have green beans AND carrots??).

zacsanders
04-19-12, 02:47 PM
Well here at Quantico I've never had problems getting two starches. I had pasta and potatoes with my chicken at lunch today plus you can get seconds, thirds, fourths and so on. Now when at MOS school for 6 months on an Army base you couldn't even get seconds!

DeniseFM
04-19-12, 04:14 PM
Very interesting thread, to see how time changes. I was wondering what happened to the Field Chow halls, are they also run by civilians?

Hmm. Not sure what you are referring to in regards to "Field Chow hall." To me the image I get from Field Chow hall is The GP tent housing the field ranges , m2 burners , etc. If you're refering to the Chow halls for example at French Creek- 8th Engines, H&S and LSB, they were run with Marine Cooks the last I knew and that was 1992 when my EAS rolled around. I'm going to assume they still are.

Now before we were deployed to DS/DS ( or was it while in country? Can't rightly remember the exact time frame of that) we were introduced to the field mobile kitchen, which to me looked like a pop up camper without amenities and bunks but all kitchen. That was staffed by 1 Marine cook and a couple of Marine messman. I don't remember the ratio of how many troops that one field kitchen could feed, but I think it was 1 Marine per 100 to 500 troops. Again, I apologize for my fuzzy memory I haven't shared things in over 20 years so my recollection maybe slightly off on the things I didn't routinely participate in.

Sheila Hays
04-21-12, 05:59 PM
The worst time of my life in the Corps, was when they put me on mess duty. I was low man on the totem pole as far as rank, I was a Pfc. As I have said before I made rank quickly. I got the measles, did all the things you have to do before they send you to the hospital. Went back to my barracks, changed my uniform, went into the office and checked out of the barracks. I had to walk back to the Dr. again got permission to go to the hospital, I went back to the mess hall and checked out. I went back to the Dr. and climbed into the back of an ambulance. The Marines had me breathe on them as they went thru the line, they wanted to get the measles also. By the way I had to help serve breakfast before I went to the Dr. I lived, I got five days of sleep and good food, I also had a Navy corpman sitting by my bed every night. I hated the Navy at the time. Semper Fi.

Sheila Hays
04-21-12, 06:01 PM
I really liked the food at MCRD San Diego.:angel:

ridingcrops
04-26-12, 09:48 AM
Somebody said there is no Tabasco?????? Texas Pete???? We all know what comes from Texas. This really must be a new Corps with no Tabasco

Zulu 36
04-26-12, 09:59 AM
In my day (71-77), I can't remember a bad meal in a Marine Corps chow hall. I can remember bad ones in Navy, Army, and Air Force facilities. I thought the food in boot camp was good (or maybe I was just so damned hungry).

I think I mentioned this before, but when I was at Iwakuni sometime in the 74-75 time range, they shut down the officer's Closed Mess (their chow hall) for renovations. Officers ate at the Mainside enlisted chow hall on the NCO side. When their Closed Mess was ready to re-open, the officers almost mutinied as enlisted food was better, in larger quantities, and they could get seconds without having to pay again. I ate regularly with officers during that time and they did nothing but complain about the Closed Mess food.

Jarhead1975
04-26-12, 12:05 PM
I never had any problems that I can remember. I usually got plenty to eat. Specially on Saturday morning brunch. I remember one morning I had several steaks and 1/2 dozen eggs over easy, plenty of toast and juice, no don't remember any problem in the fleet. Boot Camp? Well let's just say you had to eat fast.

Jarhead1975
04-26-12, 12:07 PM
Never saw a chow hall without it. I always kept a bottle or two just in case.

ridingcrops
04-27-12, 11:59 AM
This brings back a lot of good memories. In boot camp they thought they had to "beef" me up a bit. Extra potatoes at every meal and double cottage cheese at lunch anc dinner and I had to finish everything. If I didn't while toehers were getting rid of their trays I would stand there eating as fast as I could. I hated cottage cheese and now it's one of my favorite things. Those DIs really went out trying to bulk me up and I put on a whole 5 lbs when I left boot. LOL.Now how many of you remember mid rats? Since I was comm we had to be on the list so we could go to the chow hall 24/7 and get food. And boy did those cooks take care of us. Sometimes lunch at 2AM or breakfast at 6PM. Best time I had in the Corps was eating but that's the best time I have now and still can't put on weight.

Apache
04-27-12, 01:13 PM
Good for you if you have difficulty gaining weight-----
most of us "old farts" have to watch what we eat. LOL

ah yes !
the Corps had excellent chow.
as young pups we couldnt wait to get Pogey Bait --didn't realize how good we had it.

Sheila Hays
05-04-12, 12:43 AM
We had great chow, they were drying to put weight on me. I only weighed 108 lbs and when I left boot camp I weighed 113, the DI's weighed me all the time. As I've said before, I went to the chow hall on Sunday mornings. I had to wear my complete uniform, they served eggs, steak and melon. Also potatoes if that's what you wanted. Great food always. Semper Fi Sheila Hays.

rufus1
05-04-12, 07:07 AM
I was in 70-74 and never did get a refusal for any type of food I held my tray out for. I also remember that you could make as many trips as we wanted to through the chow line. The food was always good and provided the energy I needed till the next meal. even most of the C-Rats in nam was pretty good except those ham and eggs. If you were in line and there was 2 boxes of c-rats left you knew you were getting ham and eggs. We always had Marines that fixed and served our food at every base that I was stationed at except for the c-rats in nam. THANKS TO ALL THE MARINE COOKS THAT SERVED ME SO WELL OVER MY YEARS IN THE MARINE CORPS. :thumbup::thumbup:

McT ontheRock71
05-04-12, 07:19 AM
This brings back a lot of good memories. In boot camp they thought they had to "beef" me up a bit. Extra potatoes at every meal and double cottage cheese at lunch anc dinner and I had to finish everything. If I didn't while toehers were getting rid of their trays I would stand there eating as fast as I could. I hated cottage cheese and now it's one of my favorite things. Those DIs really went out trying to bulk me up and I put on a whole 5 lbs when I left boot. LOL.Now how many of you remember mid rats? Since I was comm we had to be on the list so we could go to the chow hall 24/7 and get food. And boy did those cooks take care of us. Sometimes lunch at 2AM or breakfast at 6PM. Best time I had in the Corps was eating but that's the best time I have now and still can't put on weight.

MID RATS? The term just makes me cringe! Standing the late watch at the Brig or Correctional Facility the guard force was just as confined as the people they were watching. Mid Rats were provided, however, the quality was less than stellar. A "box lunch" including a "Donkey D**k" and cheese sandwich and a piece of fruit was the typical menu. We never got a hot meal after the Chow Hall closed for the day.

Gary Miner
05-04-12, 01:52 PM
I was in between 1960-64. The food was pretty good, but the best chow was on a Navy ship! At our mess halls though, there was always plenty of food and reasonable variety of food. The one story that I'll share though is, We were making eggs for breakfast and we had dropped several cartons of powdered eggs into this huge pot, adding water as we went. After almost filling up this pot, mixing as we filled it up, the Mess Sergeant told up to dump 4 dozen eggs into this pot, shells and all. I asked why the shells, and his answer was "This makes them think that we are serving fresh eggs". I thought that was kind of fun. Semper Fi

YLDNDN6
05-05-12, 08:38 PM
I remember mid-rats in Rota quite well. If we called out for delivery of mid-rats, the box lunches were what we got. As stated above, mystery meat and waxy cheese on a dry bun, and a piece of fruit. Small bag of chips if there were any to be had. We caught on that we really needed to send someone out for the rats, and they would cook us up what we called "left-over omelets" and all the fresh eggs and hash browns we could handle. The omelets usually contained whatever meats had been served at lunch and evening chow. Lots of tobasco and ketchup and we were eating like kings!

ggyoung
05-14-12, 04:08 PM
Somebody said there is no Tabasco?????? Texas Pete???? We all know what comes from Texas. This really must be a new Corps with no Tabasco

Speaking of Tabasco Pepper Sauce there was a Col McIlhenny in the Marines during WW2. He was a grandson to McIlhenny who started the Tabasco Co. He served with the OSS. Also there was a CPT. Walker who was the CO. of I battery 3/12 during Vietnam. He was in line to be the CEO of Walker Whiskey Co. All of his pay checks went to Navy Releaf.

ggyoung
05-14-12, 04:11 PM
I remember mid-rats in Rota quite well. If we called out for delivery of mid-rats, the box lunches were what we got. As stated above, mystery meat and waxy cheese on a dry bun, and a piece of fruit. Small bag of chips if there were any to be had. We caught on that we really needed to send someone out for the rats, and they would cook us up what we called "left-over omelets" and all the fresh eggs and hash browns we could handle. The omelets usually contained whatever meats had been served at lunch and evening chow. Lots of tobasco and ketchup and we were eating like kings!

Mid-rats at Marine Barricks Hawthorne, Nev. was our best meal of the day. Lots of times that was stake and eggs.

ridingcrops
05-14-12, 04:57 PM
You guys make me hungry thinking about all the great chow we had. I remember some of the best food was while with the Navy but I think the best was at Air Force base outside Tokyo. One of the best burgers I ever had, beer in the soda machine for like .25, and ice cream in the machine like popsicles, fudgesycles and such. And I think to this day all the Corps chow halls have is those cups of vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry. Probably to keep us ticked off and take it out on whoever they send us after. LMFAO Oh, beer only after hours.

Tookie22
05-14-12, 05:01 PM
Funny thing is that you can only have 1 plate at a time. You'll see people get something and put their tray down and grab more food. I really don't understand the concept. Yes 1 starch, veggie, protein per plate but you can grab as many plates as you like.. Why not just serve it and move on. At first I thought this was going to compare chowhalls sadly I wont be able to say how Jim Crowe was the worst ever.

Apache
05-14-12, 07:01 PM
Recall short hops leaving country to get to DaNang for flight out
---stopped at an AF outpost just about dinner time----
Real plates (dry)
Tablecloths (clean)
Chow was excellent and they kept it comin----

Left there with full stomachs. WOW

fl1946
05-15-12, 10:18 PM
That's AFTER closing the bar with all those baby sans hanging onto you.

S/F

Enforcer
10-16-13, 07:05 AM
Does anyone know the cost to eat in the mess hall? More specifically back around 1994

carrvy1
10-16-13, 07:43 AM
The problem is to many carbohydrates over 60 grams of carbos will lead to weight gain for most people. Carrots contain carbohydrates also.;)

carrvy1
10-16-13, 07:45 AM
Does anyone know the cost to eat in the mess hall? More specifically back around 1994

I remember in the early 60s it was about 35 cents for brown baggers.:)

CrockettJW
10-16-13, 11:04 AM

In 1994, it was 90 or 95 cents for breakfast and $1.90 for lunch or dinner, if I'm not mistaken.

Enforcer
10-16-13, 11:46 AM
Thanks. I think dinner was a little more but not much if I recall