PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas to help me quit smoking befor RT

Alucasaz
02-02-11, 04:47 AM
So I ship to MCRD SD on 20110314 and I've been deped in for some time, and I have been trying to quit the whole time. I've tried using the gum and stuff but I haven't been able to kick smoking dose any one have any recommendations? I feel that this is the only thing holding me back from being 100% on my PT.
Thank You guys for any advice!!

Nerd
02-02-11, 10:08 AM
some ways some of my friends stopped smoking.

1) My uncle went cold turkey. Just quit one day. But he still smoked things like black and milds. Things that don't harm your lungs, but give you the satisfaction of smoking (I know it's the nicotine and s*** that makes you want it, but sometimes smoking something like a cigar can help you feel better)

2) Smoke half as much as you do now. 2 weeks later, smoke half of that. Then smoke only one cigarette a day. Then quit. Use the patches, use the gum. Whatever it takes to help, but sometimes just reducing how much you smoke steadily will help you kick it

That's all I can tell you

Alucasaz
02-02-11, 07:52 PM
Thank you I will give it a try!

some ways some of my friends stopped smoking.

1) My uncle went cold turkey. Just quit one day. But he still smoked things like black and milds. Things that don't harm your lungs, but give you the satisfaction of smoking (I know it's the nicotine and s*** that makes you want it, but sometimes smoking something like a cigar can help you feel better)

2) Smoke half as much as you do now. 2 weeks later, smoke half of that. Then smoke only one cigarette a day. Then quit. Use the patches, use the gum. Whatever it takes to help, but sometimes just reducing how much you smoke steadily will help you kick it

That's all I can tell you

Nerd
02-02-11, 10:55 PM
excellent, man. I hope some of that can work out for you

Pylon
02-03-11, 12:34 AM
Your profile says you live in Arizona. Your state offers some free resources and advice from medical professionals about quitting at: http://www.ashline.org (ASHLine is the Arizona Smokers Helpline, funded by your state's sales tax on cigarettes).

Good luck!

Alucasaz
02-03-11, 12:57 AM
wow i didnt even know about that

Kiri
02-03-11, 10:21 PM
No offense, but you don't have time to gradually wean yourself off at this point. You pretty much have to quit now. Throw away every cigarette in the house and don't be near people that smoke. You don't need withdrawal symptoms in Boot Camp.

calebh180
02-04-11, 02:24 PM
I bought my last pack of cigs at MEPS about 8 months ago. I dip occasionally but I dont think ill have a problem quittin that. It was actually really easy for me to quit I just quit and I didnt really have many problems after a couple weeks. But Ive had a really hard time getting my lungs back to normal as you can see from my run time :(

ONeill
02-06-11, 02:31 AM
I just quit last week and i can already run 2 miles more than what I was running. I was at a pack a day, I deiced that for every cig I smoked I would run a mile. That works wonders and also detox's your lungs rather quick. If you keep true to it, it should work.

AlexJH
02-06-11, 02:39 AM
smoke a pack a day until you leave for boot camp

no balls

Kiri
02-06-11, 10:03 AM
smoke a pack a day until you leave for boot camp

no balls

lol

Nerd
02-06-11, 10:04 AM
^
same response

Alucasaz
02-07-11, 01:21 AM
I just quit last week and i can already run 2 miles more than what I was running. I was at a pack a day, I deiced that for every cig I smoked I would run a mile. That works wonders and also detox's your lungs rather quick. If you keep true to it, it should work.

That sounds like the best option because i need to improve my run and at work just running around the block is about a mile

Kevin691
02-14-11, 09:19 PM
Alucasaz I was a smoker for 8 and a half years and I just quit cold turkey. Every time you have a craving just do a pull up or go for a run. Keep your mind busy and clear trust me it isn't all that hard.

ChrrySkoal
02-15-11, 06:35 AM
Alucasaz I was a hardcore dipper for about a year, my friends never seen me without a lip in my mouth (and my girlfriend wanted to kill me lol) Chewing tobbaco is extremly addicting...i quit cold turkey and enlisted. If I can do it bro you can! go for a long run or do some PT when you get a craving. you can do it! Your going to become a Marine
Motivate youself! Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Leather2013
02-28-11, 08:56 AM
Feel Better
This is the most important benefit to living a healthy lifestyle. This requires people to create a habit of daily exercise, drink water, and eat more fruits and vegetables than processed or fatty foods. By just quitting smoking you will feel better and have more energy to do the things you like to do.
Look Better
When you exercise, you lose inches where you do not want them and you gain inches where you do. Burning fat and building muscles will make you look better and feel better in and out of your clothes. By quitting smoking your skin is clearer, breath is fresher, and hair is healthier.
Live Longer
According the 2004 Surgeon's General Report, every smoker lives on average 13-14 years less than non-smokers. And, the last few years of a smoker's life are usually plagued battling cancer, heart disease, strokes, and lung disease. Over 440,000 deaths occur each year due to these smoking related ailments which is over 100 times the number of deaths caused by terrorists in a year period. How about a War on Smoking?
Immediate and Long Term Benefits
Quitting smoking and starting an exercise program both have immediate and long term benefits by reducing the risks for the above diseases and improving general cardio-vascular health.
Better Physical Performance
Though there are some - like the Army Sgt who is performing well physically and is still a smoker, it typically does not last long. As your body ages, the long term effects of smoking will catch up to you and you will be more susceptible to bronchitis and pneumonia, which will affect cardio-vascular performance. Plus, you will become winded just walking up stairs. This is an indicator that you are out of shape and either need to quit smoking or start exercising more.
I am sorry I do not have an answer to people quitting smoking. The people with who I have been in contact who have been successful have quit cold turkey, used the nicotine gum or patch, or created a limit to the number of cigarettes they had per day and reduced it over a 1-2 month period.

ImpatientPoolee
03-01-11, 04:01 PM
I would suggest taking your mind off of it with exercise. I usually work-out in the late afternoon (about to go run now) and that keeps my mind off of it. I think, "hmm, don't have time to dip because I need to drink water and check the forums...let's see what my buddies are up to on facebook." The second you start thinking about that smoke you're going to have in...15 minutes is when you're defeated. Concentrate on being healthy, and never settle for where you're at.

Do you wanna be that guy at bootcamp that falls out on a 3 mile run? No, you wanna be the guy that's busy being a leader and focusing on other things besides the physical part. Don't be that guy who thinks, "ohh no, we have to run..." It should be something you look FORWARD too brotha, honestly.

Running is like beer. You don't necessarily like it when you first try it, but after doing it a few times you think, "man I sure do wish I could have one of THOSE right now."

MOTIVATE YOURSELF!

Alucasaz
03-04-11, 06:08 PM
well down to 10 days and i only been smoking 1-2 a day

ImpatientPoolee
03-04-11, 07:11 PM
Yah since I've read this thread I haven't dipped at all! Going on 5 days tobacco-free YAAYYYYY!