PDA

View Full Version : Find ANOTHER recruiter?

PART PILO
02-01-11, 07:28 PM
So here's my deal. I went in to talk to a recruiter back in June and soon after went to take the ASVAB, I scored a 56. He told me to contact him when I was ready to go back and take the physical and all that. I have been in contact with him over the months and now I am finally ready to take the physical. The only reason I waited so long is because I was getting some questionable birthmarks removed so they did not give me **** at MEPS. Basically I would have been ready way sooner had I had the money to do so. Now I call my recruiter and tell him I need to go to MEPS and he's all like "OH now you're demanding **** HUH?" He said he doesn't want to work with me and tells me I wasted his time. He said to find another recruiter. I see no way of how I wasted his time seeing as when I went to take the ASVAB I went on a day he had scheduled with another kid and I hitched a ride with them. I have called him and went into the office to retrieve my documents and he claims he can't find them, he is too busy googling right now, he says he will call me when he finds the time. Now I don't know what kind of BS game this kid is trying to play with me but I assume a good recruiter would be more than happy to get my signature. Do I try to keep working with this guy or how do I go about finding another recruiter at the same location? Thank you for any help.

SGT7477
02-01-11, 08:55 PM
Looks like our beloved Corps is getting full so they can be pretty picky,do what your heart tells you, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.

mortales61
02-01-11, 10:05 PM
Just find another recruiter .

PART PILO
02-02-11, 04:33 AM
Looks like our beloved Corps is getting full so they can be pretty picky,do what your heart tells you, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.

Well quite frankly they need to make room for me, I have more than what it takes. I will be a Marine no matter who or what trys to get in my way. I do not know why I am rambling about some problem only I can take care of but dammit, it makes me feel better.

0351 Corporal
02-02-11, 05:04 AM
Talk to the recruiting station Gunnery Sargent, or staff Non-Commissioned Officer in charge (SNCOIC) and see if they can help you out. Chances are they will side with the recruiter, but look at it...

Marine1011
02-02-11, 06:39 AM
Part Pilo, the first thiing you need to learn is that it's not about you. So they really don't "need to make room" for you. Good luck, but you and some members of your generation have to realize that the Earth revolves around the Sun, not around you.
That takes people years to learn.
Not your fault, as people think they deserve the world and all its riches just for the askin, its the way you were raised. Keep moving on, youll be ok

PART PILO
02-02-11, 07:00 AM
I just never in a million years thought I would have trouble signing up when my time came to serve my country. I refuse to wear that floppy Army beret.

Tennessee Top
02-02-11, 07:16 AM
Your recruiter is not a "kid" or a "guy"...he is a Marine...you are the kid. He earned his title and you have not. The Marine Corps does not need to make room for you or anyone else. You probably came across with that same attitude toward him and he does not have to deal with it. Lesson one follow orders...he told you to go find another recruiter...found one yet? He was not talking about finding another USMC recruiter by the way. You may try the Air Force; they maybe could make room for you but we don't need you and your ****ey little attitude in our Corps.

Have a nice day.

PJones64
02-02-11, 07:28 AM
Yeah, we don't want someone motivated in our Corps, I guess.

03Mike
02-02-11, 08:46 AM
1. I'm glad Top brought up the "kid" comment. I know that you're ****ed at your recruiter right now, but he's probably reading that level of disrespect in your body language - so get your attitude in check.

2. There's obviously a disconnect here - you call and say that "you're ready to ship" and the recruiter says "okay, so now your demanding?" Tells me that there's more to the story. There's skepticism because all we have is your side of the story.

3. Unfortunately, you need to realize that you're competing with other poolees / recruits in your recruiting district. You may be motivated, but how do you stack up to the other poolees getting ready to ship? I know that you say that you're physically fit, have a high GT score and a rather low/mediocre AFQT score on the ASVAB - so you have to look at it from the recruiter's point of view - how do you think he ranks you compared to the others?

4. Time. You are not your recruiter's priority right now. Obviously you are your number one priority right now - so there's a conflict of perceptions here. If this is what you want, stay persistent without being a pain in the ass. Your recruiter's priorities will change in a week or two - he's there to accomplish his mission of filling the needs of the Marine Corps, not necessarily to take care of the needs of Daniel Partpilo.

5. Perspective - When I worked at MCRD, we put 24,000 recruits through Parris Island each year. MCRD San Diego was putting through about 22,000. Those numbers have probably changed a little, but the point is you're one of some 45,000 who may ship to MCRD this year. You feel you have a lot to offer - and you may well - but keep it in perspective.

So, my advice... keep it in perspective, add a little humility, check the ego/attitude with the recruiter, and stay persistent.

PJones64
02-02-11, 09:23 AM
If you are not going to talk to another recruiter, I would try other branches of the military, perhaps one will have room for one who is motivated more than most people, perhaps not, but if you want to serve your country, and the Marine Corps says "no", then go to another branch, no shame in that, it's still the Armed Forces of the United States of America.

Marine3451
02-02-11, 09:35 AM
2. There's obviously a disconnect here - you call and say that "you're ready to ship" and the recruiter says "okay, so now your demanding?" Tells me that there's more to the story. There's skepticism because all we have is your side of the story.

Those are my thoughts exactly. Usually for a recruiter to tell you to go pound sand assuming your qualified you would have had to stood him up or blew him off and usully they will overlook the first one and give you another chance. I'm going to call into question the reason you say you waited" to have a questionable birthmark removed" I have never heard of this being disqualifying or requireing a waiver(someone correct me if I am wrong)In fact I had a Marine that had a visible birthmark on his head that caused a patch on his head to turn white and he didnt require a waiver. I agree with 03 mike and there is more to this story your not telling us but then again your on a Marine forum compaining about another Marine with the general attitude that you have a god given right to be a Marine. I am willing to bet that you will have to travel a ways to find a recruiter that doesnt work in the same RS as your recruiter. This is what will probuly happen. You'll drive 50 miles to the next recruiter and he will see where you live and maybe that you took the ASVAB with a different recruiter and will ask you why your not enlisting with that recruiter. He will probuly call your recruiter and ask him whats going on and once he hears his side he will also be hesitant to work with you. It goes back to the old saying never burn a bridge you intend to cross. Maybe you should have kept in contact with the recruiter every other week or asked to attend his pool meetings while you where waiting instead of disappearing from the radar for a few months. Just food for thought

PJones64
02-02-11, 09:38 AM
Sounds like the Marine Corps is too good for a lot of people these days. Go into a branch that will let you prove your motivation to serve this country.

PART PILO
02-04-11, 05:03 AM
If anyone cares, I went in to get my documents so that I could go to another recruiting station and the NCOIC stopped me as I was leaving and we had a little talk in his office. He is willing to work with me to get me where I need to be, for that I am thankful.

Tennessee Top
02-04-11, 10:32 AM
Now...that sounds better. The proper attitude is what you can do for the USMC and not what the USMC can do for you because in reality the USMC does not need you (contrary to what you believe). It's OK to have a little ego but humility goes a long way too.

Come back and let us know how it works out for you.

0351 Corporal
02-04-11, 11:29 AM
Glas to hear things are working out. Listen to Top, and let us know how it works out

Tennessee Top
02-04-11, 08:00 PM
Yeah, we don't want someone motivated in our Corps, I guess.

Being motivated is one thing. Problem is, motivated applicants are a dime a dozen and right now, there are more of them than the Marine Corps needs or wants.

Showing disrespect toward an active duty recruiter is a different animal all together and in my book, calling him a "kid" is disrespectful especially when you are in fact the kid. Claiming we need to make room for you when you haven't even earned the right to stand in our yellow footprints yet is a little egotistical as well. But, he is young and some lessons just need to be learned the hard way. Maybe, he has learned a few already.

PART PILO
02-04-11, 08:21 PM
It was a little disrespectful on his part turning me away just for walking into his office, don't you think? I did nothing to disrespect him in any way, he just did not seem to like me, for whatever reason it was. Maybe it was because I took a little too long to sign my name. Well now I am ready. That recruiter wanted me to beat it, the SNCOIC wants me to stay. I just don't get it. Maybe I'm not supposed to. I was not DQ'd for any reason. I have a good number of traffic tickets, perhaps he just did not want to deal with me. I don't blame him. I was just under the impression that a USMC recruiter would do anything to get you to sign up, perhaps that is not the case nowadays. Perhaps this is some sort of "good cop bad cop" mind test they are putting me through. I shall not give up that easy.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-05-11, 01:21 AM
No. You might be reading but you aren't comprehending the above. Get this straight....the Marine Corps DOESN'T NEED YOU.

Now, repeat that several times. They really don't. You might THINK they do or WANT them to do, but quite frankly, the Marine Corps doesn't give a flying rip in a rolling donut about what YOU want.

Your 'impression' was incorrect. It is NOT the case, and hasn't been for at least 2 years. Perhaps longer. The Marine Corps has 'met mission' recruiting wise for a long, long time.

Get over yourself. Society has told you you are 'special' and 'unique'. The Marine Corps, IF you get in, will quickly disabuse you of THAT particular notion. The sooner you dump that sorta thing, the better you'll be.

Mwhite732
02-05-11, 03:08 AM
you will soon learn the proper way to grope the giant balls of the marine corps.. Our Drill instructors will teach you to grovel on the deck. Don't think you have rights with us. You are in our battle arena buddy.

SSgt Lamie
02-07-11, 11:41 AM
Where are you located at? I know we have some Recruiters in the Rockford, IL area and they would be more than happy to work with you and get you enlisted. If it's not too far out of your way and you want to be a Marine, they can help you out.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-09-11, 08:52 PM
Hmmm....he checked in 'yesterday at 12:16 AM'. Not sure if he responded to you yet SSgt....

One would hope so.

PART PILO
02-10-11, 04:08 AM
Hmmm....he checked in 'yesterday at 12:16 AM'. Not sure if he responded to you yet SSgt....

One would hope so.

I sent him a PM.

That station is way too far from me. The SNCOIC has not returned any of my phone calls, I am guessing they don't want to see me around that station anymore. I know they don't want me or need me, but this is very discouraging.

afraziaaaa
02-10-11, 06:56 AM
I was just under the impression that a USMC recruiter would do anything to get you to sign up.

LOL, another misunderstanding generated by the "know-it-alls" of society.

Good luck young man. I hope you make it. If what you say is true that you only have some traffic tickets, then as a recruiter I would probably work with you.

Given the fact that they are brushing you aside leads me to believe that you need some sort of waiver that they can't get right now. If you want, send me a PM listing all your police involvement and I might be able to provide some better insight. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, then that is ok too. Either way, best of luck.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-10-11, 05:16 PM
And there you have it. Asked, answered.