PDA

View Full Version : Mos BA ( Basic Avionics ) Married in School

crodgers4101
02-01-11, 03:46 PM
I just have a question for everyone who has gone to Avionics Training in Pensacola. I have been doing a lot of research and have notived that a lot of Marines are not getting accompanied orders for their families to Pensacola with there Marine. I was told that since the school would be longer than 6 months my family would be able to accompany me but it seems I may have been misinformed. I'd love to have some first hand information from those of you that have been there
-if there were other Marines who had families and if there were I'd like to know if they typically got accompanied orders.
-If they didn't get acompanied orders did any of the spouses move there DITY?
Thanks Marines this will help me alot!!!!

WXSgt
02-01-11, 07:57 PM
yes schools over 6 months DO rate your family to be there with you, however there are certain circumstances and in the Marine Corps you dont always get what you rate. sgts rate a certain amount of space in barracks i know that i have never seen a sgt get what he rates. Now if you do get accompanied orders a DITY move is great to do if you can get an advance. another thing if you will have a C-school then you most likely wont get accompanied orders as she would remain there for like another few months and then have to move yet again. this is most likely the reason why you do not get it. so my advice SITFU and if you dont know what this means then you need to start learning. sorry if im coming off like an a-hole but ive been an NCO and got married the right way and still wasnt allowed to live with my wife for about a year so i know what its like and i know that you can get through it.

MarinesFTW
02-02-11, 09:02 AM
I just actually left Pensacola, and I have a few friends who are married and didn't bring there families along that wont be leaving anytime soon. I don't know if they couldn't or if didn't want to put there wives through the constant moving and all that trash.

crodgers4101
02-02-11, 11:32 AM
Thank you for your quick replies. I was just wondering so my wife and I could be prepared for the time apart rather than keep our hopes up and set ourselves up for disappointment. I certainly understand that I will need to be spending most of my time studying anyways so it is best if I don't have the distraction of my family. Now we know to expect to be spending that year apart and if we don't have to then thats even better.

crodgers4101
02-02-11, 11:40 AM
I am prepared to suck it up. I was just asking the question to be able to prepare myself and my family.

WXSgt
02-03-11, 02:02 PM
its best to just leave your family where they are till u get to ur first duty station as moving so much is hard on family

SSgt Lamie
02-04-11, 03:53 PM
In Pensacola there are several different routes that a Marine can go after the "Common Core" training, and because of this the instructors and Troop Handlers will suggest to you that you not bring your family with you. Although through your research you may have discovered that the schools are 6 months long, that is on the higher end. Plus once you leave Pensacola you will be sent on to additional training where your family will not be allowed at all.

I suggest you wait until you get to your first duty station and then bring your family.

crodgers4101
02-04-11, 08:59 PM
In Pensacola there are several different routes that a Marine can go after the "Common Core" training, and because of this the instructors and Troop Handlers will suggest to you that you not bring your family with you. Although through your research you may have discovered that the schools are 6 months long, that is on the higher end. Plus once you leave Pensacola you will be sent on to additional training where your family will not be allowed at all.

I suggest you wait until you get to your first duty station and then bring your family.

Thank you Sir so what you are telling me is that my school at Pensacola is only 6 months and then i will be sent somewhere diff. to continue training.

Bama Boi
02-05-11, 02:29 PM
Depends on your MOS. I'm currently in Pensacola for MOS School. There's this package called Brown Bagger, where your wife can come down and you can live off base with her. I think you have to start the Brown Bagger package once you are down here. I'm not 100% sure when you can start on the package, but I'm in the process of finishing up the package and having my wife come down. You tell your Troop Handler and they will point you in the right direction on where to start. BUT, you need to remain a squared away Marine and maintain a good GPA and stay out of trouble.

crodgers4101
02-08-11, 04:18 PM
Depends on your MOS. I'm currently in Pensacola for MOS School. There's this package called Brown Bagger, where your wife can come down and you can live off base with her. I think you have to start the Brown Bagger package once you are down here. I'm not 100% sure when you can start on the package, but I'm in the process of finishing up the package and having my wife come down. You tell your Troop Handler and they will point you in the right direction on where to start. BUT, you need to remain a squared away Marine and maintain a good GPA and stay out of trouble.

When did you start your Package?

Tennessee Top
02-08-11, 05:03 PM
Just a word of advice from an old career Marine.

Marine Corps life is extremely tough on a family; even more so on junior enlisted Marines. It is common for young families with children to be on food stamps. I'm sure everyone is aware 50% of marriages fail in our nation. That rate is higher in the military for obvious reasons (low pay, high stress, deployments/separations, etc.). It is even higher still in the sea services (USN/USMC) because of the shorter training/deployment cycles. As the USMC draws down its boat spaces (warm bodies), that translates to fewer people to do the same number of missions, meaning more time away from home for those still on active duty.

The USMC is the nation's 911 force and the Marines are the "first to fight". To do that, Marines must be forward-deployed. Separation from your family is a way of life in the USMC. The sooner you, and your spouse, accept that fact, the better off you both will be. If your recruiter did not sit both of you down and explain the facts of life then shame on them.

There's an old saying in the USMC that goes "if the Commandant wanted you to have a wife he would've issued you one". You may hear that a time or two.

It's nice wanting to be with your spouse. But, you won't be in the corporate world with a 9-5 job. So, if it's THAT important to you then maybe you need to think about changing to the Air Force.

My ex couldn't deal with the separations and split my very first 12 month unaccompanied tour to Okinawa. It's tough being married to a Marine; most can't or won't do it.

There is a website www.recruitparents.com (http://www.recruitparents.com) with message boards for spouses of recruits and Marines where spouses can go and communicate with others going through the same challenges/experiences they are.

crodgers4101
02-10-11, 12:51 PM
I'm sorry about your situation but there is another 50% (or less) out there that would beg to differ. Your reply, though very revealing really didn't help to answer my question at all.

Tennessee Top
02-10-11, 04:48 PM
I didn't ask for or need your sympathy poolee. And I was not attempting to answer your question; just giving a little insight about marriage in the Marine Corps (the same I gave to numerous junior enlisted married Marines in my commands over the years). My ex did me a favor; after she split, I didn't need to worry about her anymore and could focus on my Marines and our mission. My career flourished as a single Staff NCO.

The other 50% can differ with my opinion all they want to but it still doesn't make the long separations any easier or shorter. But, you'll find out sooner or later maybe...you still need to earn the title.

Good luck to you and your wife.