PDA

View Full Version : Becoming Medically Retired?

GunDocBrown
02-01-11, 01:03 AM
Does anyone know how to become medically retired due to a service connected injury? I have been honorably discharged, but I did not know the extent of my injuries, and I should have been medically...

hbharrison
02-01-11, 05:17 AM
If your medical is service connected and you have the records to prove it see the VA and file a claim but use the DAV, VFW or Ligion to do it. If that does work get a hold of an attorney that does VA claims work and let them do it. I know of several service members that have done this. I myself being one, mine is still in progress.

Phantom Blooper
02-01-11, 05:39 AM
As stated you can file claims for your service connected disabilities with the VA.... <br />
<br />
For medical retirement you are 12 years too late..... <br />
<br />
Trying to go back after a decade of being...

GunDocBrown
02-02-11, 01:36 AM
Thanks to both of you brothers. I am disabled with the VA and I have been working with them quite a bit. They however, do not know what to do.

When I got out they were more concerned with my shoulder then my back, but I have found out that it is my back that has been the major concern. It is service connected, as my other injuries.

hbharrison
02-02-11, 02:46 AM
What is your disability rating or have they given you one and what for?

GunDocBrown
02-02-11, 07:30 PM
My total is 60%, that is 40 for my back, 10 for my leg, and 10 for my shoulder, or something like that.

All I know is that when I got hurt they just said that "I pulled a muscle" and would be fine, here are some pills for the pain. Now my liver is all messed up, my back has a herniated disk and about half the time my leg goes out on me filled with pain......

Phantom Blooper
02-02-11, 07:50 PM
Talk to your VA representative and refile another claim going for 100% Total and Permanent...for the residual effects over the years of taking the medicines and over the years of degenerative disease with your back.

Provide documentation of seeing doctors and test results.....outpatient and any inpatient hospitalizations.

It is a long bureaucratic process....but with the right evidence and persistence you should prevail.