PDA

View Full Version : History Quiz

USNAviator
01-31-11, 06:09 PM
<TABLE class=yiv299544916 id=yiv299544916bodyDrftID cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=yiv299544916drftMsgContent style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: arial"><TABLE class=yiv299544916yiv1268908945 id=yiv299544916yiv1268908945bodyDrftID cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=yiv299544916yiv1268908945drftMsgContent style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: arial">Here's a brief quiz I give one of my classes. A few of the questions are tricky but this is more of a trivia test. But I suspect most of the Marines will get questions 5-9. Question 10 I'm not so sure about. Enjoy.

1) Name the first US citizen to become President?

2) Aside from the above, what else was this man noted for?

3) When Ford became President. who was his VP?

4) What did Paul Revere say on the night of his famous ride?

5) Tun Tavern in Philly was the founding site for the Corps. What other group was founded there?

6) Who was the first Commandant of the Corps?

7) In Marine jargon, what's a stacking swivel?

8) What nation gave the Corps the name Devil Dogs?

9) If a Marine told you he served at 8Th and I. What's he talking about?

10) This last one is a tough one. What does CSMC mean? Hint think 1861-65

Answers below

answers

1--Martin Van Buren, 8Th President was the first US born President. He was born after the Constitution was ratified. The prior 7 were born as British citizens

2-Van Buren was the only President whose first language wasn't English, he spoke Dutch

3- Ford didn't have a VP. When Nixon resigned Ford became President but no where in the Constitution was there a provision to have a VP. That is until they ratified the 25Th amendment

4) He would not have said "The British are coming" They were all British, he mostl likely would have said "the regulars are coming" since all cities and a few town had garrison troops instead of regulars

5) The first meeting of the Masonic Lodge in this country, 1732

6) Major Sam Nicholas

7) A neck

8) Germany 1918

9) Address of Marine Corps HQ, Washington, DC

10) Confederate States Marine Corps

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Osotogary
01-31-11, 07:24 PM
Thank you for the answers. LOL

USNAviator
01-31-11, 07:34 PM
Thank you for the answers. LOL

LOL your welcome Gary. I love history and love sharing it with others, especially young people. I try to make it as interesting as possible. I tell stories, for today to teach you must entertain but I also found that if you make history human, they get it better

One question I deleted was what is the real story behind The Wizard of Oz? It has nothing to do with Dorothy and slippers. It s about the US trying to decide about either staying on the both the gold and silver standard. Sorry,there I go again, lecture time is over......:D

Mongoose
01-31-11, 07:43 PM
I only got 4 right. Number 10 is one I got right. Im pretty dumb aint I ?

USNAviator
01-31-11, 07:58 PM
I only got 4 right. Number 10 is one I got right. Im pretty dumb aint I ?

Hell no Billy. This was more of an information session than a quiz. I figured when y'all went through boot they taught you a history of the Corps. Last year I had the privilege of teaching such a course at VMI. One of the reasons I joined LN was to see if I could learn anything

And ques #10 was a mystery to me. I never knew there were Confederate Marines. There were about 900 of them. I've often wondered how they felt fighting against their brothers

SlingerDun
01-31-11, 09:44 PM
<table class="yiv299544916" id="yiv299544916bodyDrftID" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td id="yiv299544916drftMsgContent" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial;"><table class="yiv299544916yiv1268908945" id="yiv299544916yiv1268908945bodyDrftID" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td id="yiv299544916yiv1268908945drftMsgContent" style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial;">4) What did Paul Revere say on the night of his famous ride?
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>The gelding is stumbling, should have taken him to the farrier for a re-set 1 fortnight ago, my bad?!http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif

Damn it's cold for April! Feels like a freakin mini-ice age or somethin...

Alright men drop ye cocks and grab yourn white socks - and square toed shoes with the big brass buckles!!:evilgrin:

USNAviator
01-31-11, 10:14 PM
Dan, I did very very well after looking at the answers....Your students are very fortunate, because you make history come alive, as it was in fact was. It's not some dry stuff out of a book, it happened, it was vivid at one time.

As I told Billy, I try to make history come alive. History isn't about dates, battles etc,it's about people. Just like you and me.

R Landry
01-31-11, 10:23 PM
I only got about half of them.

Shoot, I'm not as smart as a lance corporal.

silverdollar
02-01-11, 07:47 AM
I think that Paul Revere said Giddy-up

advanced
02-01-11, 07:57 AM
I got all 10 right.

Of course I gave myself an 8 point handicap.

Mongoose
02-01-11, 10:46 AM
Hell no Billy. This was more of an information session than a quiz. I figured when y'all went through boot they taught you a history of the Corps. Last year I had the privilege of teaching such a course at VMI. One of the reasons I joined LN was to see if I could learn anything

And ques #10 was a mystery to me. I never knew there were Confederate Marines. There were about 900 of them. I've often wondered how they felt fighting against their brothers
Dave and I got into a conversation about the civil war and Marines. I looked it up. Seems like when the civil war broke out. Most of the enlisted Marines went to the south to fight. Most officers stayed with the north. The north had to do some real fast recruiting to make up the ranks.

radio relay
02-01-11, 11:26 AM
Not to nit-pick, but there were no British "citizens". All were "subjects" of the crown.

When they signed the Declaration Of Independence, and won the revolution, then all became "citizens" of the United States.

They were born "subjects" and became citizens.

So technically the first "born" citizen to become President might have been Van Buren, but the first citizen to become President was George Washington.

advanced
02-01-11, 12:16 PM
Dave and I got into a conversation about the civil war and Marines. I looked it up. Seems like when the civil war broke out. Most of the enlisted Marines went to the south to fight. Most officers stayed with the north. The north had to do some real fast recruiting to make up the ranks.

I certainly pity the north when all the experienced Marines went to the South to fight. Can you imagine the north recruiting all those new guys, I can here their Lance's *****ing up a storm now and getting smartasssed with everyone.

Wyoming
02-01-11, 01:24 PM
I got #5, along with a few others.

Mongoose
02-01-11, 01:34 PM
I certainly pity the north when all the experienced Marines went to the South to fight. Can you imagine the north recruiting all those new guys, I can here their Lance's *****ing up a storm now and getting smartasssed with everyone.
Well hell Russ, what did you expect? Look what they had to pick from.

USNAviator
02-01-11, 02:26 PM
Well hell Russ, what did you expect? Look what they had to pick from.

Billy, as a gentleman from Virginia, we never acknowledged there ever was a Civil War. It was a war Between the States. And the South shall rise again, just not this year......:D

sparkie
02-01-11, 02:28 PM
Need more Marines? Well, It's back to the bar,

advanced
02-01-11, 04:06 PM
Well, I do believe old mother nature is doing some payback now up there in the north. And ya'll wouldn't believe all the people from the north down here getting away from all that cold. They're doiing 40-45 in a 55 where we normally to 60.

Down here on the radio they tell us to be nice to the snow-birds; they bring in a lot of money and if we ever run out of food we can eat them.