PDA

View Full Version : Question about asvab scores...

sdkmcqueen
01-30-11, 10:47 PM
So here's my question: When the officers, or whoever, is choosing what job you go into they look where they need people and then they look at your asvab scores to see where you can go, correct? Well what I would like to know is, do they look at your overall score, (Mine was a 66 by the way, but I scored 100+ in all the sub catagories.) and just make a snap judgement about where you will go or do they go through all of your scores? Sorry if this doesnt make much sense, I am very tired right now.

thanks in advance.

AdminAssassin
01-31-11, 12:35 AM
Plain and simple they put you where you are needed. The higher your score the more opportunities you will have I'll put it that way. Being a reservist I knew what I was getting I just had fewer opportunities, active duty is a whole different animal.

SSgt Lamie
01-31-11, 08:38 AM
All of your "Line Scores" come into play. Your Recruiter should sit down with you and actually go over the MOS Fields that you are qualified for based on your ASVAB scores and any waivers that you may have received, then you will be able to select one of them. The specific job in that field will come down to where the Marine Corps needs you.

sdkmcqueen
01-31-11, 06:41 PM
Thank you for the info Marines. I am planning on signing a combat support contract and that consists of Arty, tanks, AAVs and anti air gunners. I was told by my recruiter that I sign the contract and they place me into one of these MOS fields. Is this true? Can I ensure that I get 08XX for example? Or 18XX?

HookNLadder
02-04-11, 10:17 PM
Its alphabetical. Thats really it. Some admin Marine in Quanico has a list of jobs that need to be filled and a list of recruits. He makes sure that the recruit has that mos in his contract and the minium score on the asvab and he goes down the list. He doesn't know you and he doesnt care if you would be a really good tank driver, he needs 30 bulk fuel speicalist and your first on the list. Guess whats gonna happen.

haebyungdae
02-05-11, 07:55 AM
You have a minimum ASVAB score that you have to acheive to be qualified to enlist. Out side of that you have your line scores and those ultimately decide whether you can get the job you want or not. You can find a list of the requirements for certain job here. (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blusmcasvab.htm)

Some Marines have been guaranteed jobs before, but I have no idea how that works. You could always try to pressure your recruiter by saying you want your job guaranteed, but your recruiter is not going to succumb to your efforts. What I did was I gave me three picks and signed a contract, then once they came back and said what was chosen among those three I signed my contract stating which Occ field I would go into and when my ship date was. Not sure but things could be different then and now, and between different people. As far as I have seen also is that the only job that is guaranteed is cryptologic linguist, everything else is spread across one or more Occ fields. And even then you are still at the whim of however is deciding which of your three choices will be selected for you.

Your recruiting sub-station should have a list of spaces that they have open for any given time of the fiscal year for each job, maybe ask your recruiter to see that before you make your decision.

Hope this makes sense and if I am wrong about anything then anyone please feel free to correct me, don't want to give someone bad information.